My father is probably going to be homeless

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-08-2016, 12:30 PM
My father is probably going to be homeless
 I got the news yesterday that my father can no longer support himself at his apartment and his case worker set up a gofundme page for him, which obviously probably will not help. As far as I know the only options he has left are to stay here, or with a friend somewhere. I don't know how many of his friends are willing to take him in. If he does stay here (I'm not sure if that'll happen), there's likely going to be a lot of conflict with him and my mother. Plus he's not mentally well and is an alcoholic (might be recovering, I'm not sure), and my mother already has her issues with getting drunk almost every night. Meanwhile there's not really anything I can do about whatever happens other than deal with more bullshit.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2016, 12:34 PM
RE: My father is probably going to be homeless
Sounds like a rough situation. If he's mentally ill are there any state programs that can help? If he struggles with substance abuse are there any half-way house type places in your area? In any event nothing's free so I'm sure it will be burden no matter what happens. Sorry to hear you've got to deal with this.
01-08-2016, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 12:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
What State do you live in?

EDIT: Never mind. You're in CA. Don't they have State support for these situations?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Very sad news. I wish I had advice. Sadly not knowing the area, I've got nothing. Sad

I was homeless. I know what it's like. I was young though.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Do you have a back yard? Putting small trailers or tiny houses or granny pods in the back yard for elderly parents is becoming more and more wide spread. They keep their independence but are safely close.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
01-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I would NEVER allow either of my parents to be homeless. They took care of me for the first couple of decades of life, how could I refuse them the same consideration?

However, without actually being in your situation, it would be very difficult for anyone to offer advice.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 1 user Likes TechnoMonkey's post
01-08-2016, 03:46 PM
(01-08-2016 12:34 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Sounds like a rough situation. If he's mentally ill are there any state programs that can help? If he struggles with substance abuse are there any half-way house type places in your area? In any event nothing's free so I'm sure it will be burden no matter what happens. Sorry to hear you've got to deal with this.

There's only one homeless shelter here apparently, I don't know about any half-way houses, or state programs.

01-08-2016, 03:47 PM
(01-08-2016 12:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What State do you live in?

EDIT: Never mind. You're in CA. Don't they have State support for these situations?

Maybe, I'd imagine his caseworker would've known about something like that though.

01-08-2016, 03:52 PM
(01-08-2016 03:28 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  I would NEVER allow either of my parents to be homeless. They took care of me for the first couple of decades of life, how could I refuse them the same consideration?

However, without actually being in your situation, it would be very difficult for anyone to offer advice.

It's a bit complicated, there were some incidents in the past where he was emotionally abusive to me and my brother, so knowing that he's capable of what he did, I have a very hard time with trusting him.

01-08-2016, 03:56 PM
(01-08-2016 12:30 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:   I got the news yesterday that my father can no longer support himself at his apartment and his case worker set up a gofundme page for him, which obviously probably will not help. As far as I know the only options he has left are to stay here, or with a friend somewhere. I don't know how many of his friends are willing to take him in. If he does stay here (I'm not sure if that'll happen), there's likely going to be a lot of conflict with him and my mother. Plus he's not mentally well and is an alcoholic (might be recovering, I'm not sure), and my mother already has her issues with getting drunk almost every night. Meanwhile there's not really anything I can do about whatever happens other than deal with more bullshit.

I'm here if you need to chat. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post