My favorite misunderstood song lyric....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 01:38 PM
My favorite misunderstood song lyric....
This is a totally meaningless topic and a confession that I've only told a few people but when I was listening to the radio yesterday I heard the old song by Roy Orbison, Only the Lonely, and when I was a kid, 8 or 9 years old, I thought he was saying Phony Baloney instead of Only the Lonely. As embarrassing as this is I thought those were the lyrics until my first year of college when I finally listened more carefully to the song.

I can't believe how stupid I was. Then the words to Louis Louis by the Kingsman in 1963 were so garbled that the words were anyone's guess. Here are the orginal lyrics but there are other versions. It's actually a nice song.

Louie Louie, me gotta go
Louie Louie, me gotta go

Fine little girl she waits for me
Me catch the ship for cross the sea
I sail the ship all alone
I never think I'll make it home

(chorus)

Three nights and days me sail the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair

(chorus)

Me see Jamaica moon above
It won't be long, me see my love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again

I have a few more lyrics that I totally misunderstood like Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light which I thought was:

Blinded by the light
Rained up like a douche
In the roller of the night.

But it's actually:

Blinded by the light,
Revved up like a deuce,
Another runner in the night

Anyone else have wrong song lyrics confessionals?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-06-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: My favorite misunderstood song lyric....
We had a neighbor years ago that would try to sing the Tone Loc song, "Funky Cold Medina" with her daughters. My kids and I would just crack up at them singing, every time the line came along...funky cold potato.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
23-06-2013, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 01:48 PM by Revenant77x.)
(23-06-2013 01:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is a totally meaningless topic and a confession that I've only told a few people but when I was listening to the radio yesterday I heard the old song by Roy Orbison, Only the Lonely, and when I was a kid, 8 or 9 years old, I thought he was saying Phony Baloney instead of Only the Lonely. As embarrassing as this is I thought those were the lyrics until my first year of college when I finally listened more carefully to the song.

I can't believe how stupid I was. Then the words to Louis Louis by the Kingsman in 1963 were so garbled that the words were anyone's guess. Here are the orginal lyrics but there are other versions. It's actually a nice song.

Louie Louie, me gotta go
Louie Louie, me gotta go

Fine little girl she waits for me
Me catch the ship for cross the sea
I sail the ship all alone
I never think I'll make it home

(chorus)

Three nights and days me sail the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair

(chorus)

Me see Jamaica moon above
It won't be long, me see my love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again

I have a few more lyrics that I totally misunderstood like Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light which I thought was:

Blinded by the light
Rained up like a douche
In the roller of the night.

But it's actually:

Blinded by the light,
Revved up like a deuce,
Another runner in the night

Anyone else have wrong song lyrics confessionals?

The all time king of misheard lyrics Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Eddie Vedder.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I misunderstood the Canadian anthem as a child.

"O Canada!
Our home and native land!
??? ??? love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The (troonor?) strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

I didn't know what some of those words were. I honestly thought "true north" was something like "troonor" for the longest time... That's part of why I stopped singing the anthem. I already had anxiety issues, and getting the words wrong would be terribly embarrassing.

It could have been solved by giving out papers with the lyrics, but the school I went to was under-funded with under-trained teachers and was overall a shitty place.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
23-06-2013, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 05:55 PM by cufflink.)
My all-time favorite misheard lyric:

From the Beatles's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds":

Actual: a girl with kaleidoscope eyes
Misheard: a girl with colitis goes by

Then there's the old-fashioned (1902) song tenors loved to sing, "Because," which has the line, "Because you come to me with naught save love . . ." I'm sure I once heard someone sing it as, "Because you come to me with nuts of love . . ."

BTW, the official term for anything misheard in this way is a mondegreen. The wiki article has some great examples, not all of which are song lyrics.

And I love this: Creedence's "Have You Ever Seen Lorraine?" . . . um, I mean, "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
23-06-2013, 05:57 PM
(23-06-2013 01:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ... Louis Louis by the Kingsman in 1963 ...

What a classic.

All the 'not giving a fuck' ethos in pop music, starting in rock, and in punk, through rap and grunge, up to today - from that song, man. (okay, yeah, not just that, obviously, but, y'know...)

The reason the lyrics are borderline incomprehensible is that they didn't really know them. Hell, they barely knew how to play the damn song. The poor Kingsmen had almost no rehearsal time so the final cut is still pretty damn rough - which turned out to be perfect.

Two things to listen for: around 2 minutes in, after the guitar break, where the singer starts to come in a phrase early; also at about 50 seconds the drummer misses a beat and screams, clearly audible (and, I'm not 100% clear what he's saying, but it does sound an awful lot like 'fuck')...
23-06-2013, 06:00 PM
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

Hendrix at his finest.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
23-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Queen (with David Bowie): "Under Pressure"
actual "Sat on a fence, but it don't work"
misheard "Sat on a fence, like a dumb fuck"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2013, 06:10 PM
(23-06-2013 05:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-06-2013 01:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ... Louis Louis by the Kingsman in 1963 ...

What a classic.

All the 'not giving a fuck' ethos in pop music, starting in rock, and in punk, through rap and grunge, up to today - from that song, man. (okay, yeah, not just that, obviously, but, y'know...)

The reason the lyrics are borderline incomprehensible is that they didn't really know them. Hell, they barely knew how to play the damn song. The poor Kingsmen had almost no rehearsal time so the final cut is still pretty damn rough - which turned out to be perfect.

Two things to listen for: around 2 minutes in, after the guitar break, where the singer starts to come in a phrase early; also at about 50 seconds the drummer misses a beat and screams, clearly audible (and, I'm not 100% clear what he's saying, but it does sound an awful lot like 'fuck')...

Yeah, I always notice that part of the song where the singer starts to sing and then quickly realized he started too soon. I always thought that the Kingsmen sounded completely stoned and didn't rehearse at all but that's what makes the song so great. They're just high on drugs or they have marbles in their mouths or something.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
23-06-2013, 06:18 PM
(23-06-2013 06:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I always notice that part of the song where the singer starts to sing and then quickly realized he started too soon. I always thought that the Kingsmen sounded completely stoned and didn't rehearse at all but that's what makes the song so great. They're just high on drugs or they have marbles in their mouths or something.

They're not on drugs for that recording, they just literally hadn't rehearsed for more than a couple minutes. The studio boss came in and was like, "okay guys, we're cutting now", and they were like "wait, what?" and from there it's history.