My fear of the end strikes again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 01:44 PM
My fear of the end strikes again
So I went to books a million to find a book to help me with my questions. I managed to find one called "Jesus interrupted: revealing hidden contradiction in the bible (and why we don't know about them)"
This book was smack dab in the middle of books on my greates fear., the end.
This site and the people here have helped me in so many ways and calmed my anxiety. Two in particular have been super helpful and kind.
But those books titled along the lines of "timeline of the end" "bible prophecy".. So many others tons of them on why we are in the end times. My anxiety shot back up. It's really annoying.
On top of that thanks to my belief the Christian in me is freaking out because o bought the book mentioned above. She's telling me how I'm failing and how I'm a disappointment. It's really hard going against everything I believe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: My fear of the end strikes again
Don't read books that are woo. Read books that are written by scholars and other educated folks like Bart Ehrman, Richard Carrier, Robert Price, Richard Dawkins, Elaine Pagels, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, to name a few. Bill Nye even has a good book called Undeniable. Seth has several books out as well.

Other: Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells and anything by Guy P. Harrison.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-03-2016, 02:15 PM
The one I bought is buy Bart Ehrman. But the selection is really small here. I'll have to order the others.
18-03-2016, 02:18 PM
(18-03-2016 02:15 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  The one I bought is buy Bart Ehrman. But the selection is really small here. I'll have to order the others.

Buy one at a time. Start with Ehrman the Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction. It's a really good way to ease yourself in to all of this. And Steve Wells' The Skeptic's Annotated Bible.

Another good resource is Christine Hayes Yale series on the OT--all available on youtube for free. Here's the first one. You can find the rest (like 20 or so courses) on youtube quite easily. If you have any trouble let me know.

18-03-2016, 02:21 PM
A good debate between Dawkins and Cardinal Pell.

18-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Also good video on how Christianity came to be:

18-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Bart Ehrman

18-03-2016, 02:40 PM
(18-03-2016 02:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Also good video on how Christianity came to be:

And btw, none of the "prophecies" in the OT were predicting Jesus. Those passages were twisted by the Christians.
18-03-2016, 02:40 PM
(18-03-2016 02:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't read books that are woo. Read books that are written by scholars and other educated folks like Bart Ehrman, Richard Carrier, Robert Price, Richard Dawkins, Elaine Pagels, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, to name a few. Bill Nye even has a good book called Undeniable. Seth has several books out as well.

Other: Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells and anything by Guy P. Harrison.

Books a million couldn't even find the one about the bible by Bart Ehrman. That's why I'll have to Order it
18-03-2016, 02:42 PM
(18-03-2016 02:40 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 02:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't read books that are woo. Read books that are written by scholars and other educated folks like Bart Ehrman, Richard Carrier, Robert Price, Richard Dawkins, Elaine Pagels, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, to name a few. Bill Nye even has a good book called Undeniable. Seth has several books out as well.

Books a million couldn't even find the one about the bible by Bart Ehrman. That's why I'll have to Order it

You can find all of the books on amazon. Skeptics annotated is available online and in book form. I prefer book form myself--but you can also use the online version.