My fear of the end strikes again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 02:52 PM
RE: My fear of the end strikes again
Robert M. Price has a new book that I just finished that I would recommend called "Blaming Jesus for Jehovah: Rethinking the Righteousness of Christianity. It's a short book that reads like a smooth strawberry shake on a 100* summer day (with chunks of strawberries of course). It quickly unpacks some of the moral implications of christianity with some info thrown in about end-times / hell, etc and how it just doesn't add up.

All of the suggested books by Jennybee are great as well.

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
18-03-2016, 03:47 PM
(18-03-2016 02:52 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Robert M. Price has a new book that I just finished that I would recommend called "Blaming Jesus for Jehovah: Rethinking the Righteousness of Christianity. It's a short book that reads like a smooth strawberry shake on a 100* summer day (with chunks of strawberries of course). It quickly unpacks some of the moral implications of christianity with some info thrown in about end-times / hell, etc and how it just doesn't add up.

All of the suggested books by Jennybee are great as well.

Thank you. I'll defiantly put this on my list.
18-03-2016, 04:00 PM
(18-03-2016 02:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ...
Another good resource is Christine Hayes Yale series on the OT--all available on youtube for free. Here's the first one. You can find the rest (like 20 or so courses) on youtube quite easily. If you have any trouble let me know.

And the whole series is on post #190 of our very own Library

You're welcome.

Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-03-2016, 04:40 PM
You don't fear the pre life of a cockroach, or the afterlife of a cockroach do you? Do you worry about what your life was like 2 million years ago?

The evolutionary reasons that are valid to fear death about, are about surviving as long as you can, and about fear of pain and mourning the loss of others. Those are normal coping mechanisms. What religion does to the concept of afterlife, and Buddhists and Hindus also have their concepts in reincarnation, it takes our normal behaviors, and turns them into a comic book threat bribe system, and once you buy that your delusion can compound your normal coping mechanism to an unhealthy paranoid phobia.

It is OK to fear harm to yourself. We would not bother looking both ways crossing a busy street, if we didn't evolve to value self. It is also ok to fear pain. Pain is our body's way of telling us we need help. It is ok to mourn as well, that reminds us of our own mortality.

What is not healthy is allowing superstition to paralyze you to the point of not functioning at all. Now, there may be an underlying mental illness compounding your fear because of the superstitions you have been sold. I don't say "mental illness" as a slur, but a genuine thing for you to consider getting a diagnosis for. Like depression, or bi polar disorder.

Outside that, Dawkins "The God Delusion" explains in scientific terms why humans make up and falsely believe in gods. He likens it to "the moth mistaking the light bulb for moonlight". It is a neurological gap fill humans evolved when we didn't have time to asses or test our perceptions of reality. Our brains constantly gap fill, every day almost every single second, most of the time we never realize it. It is also why we transpose words like their and there, and why we can walk into a clean glass door because our brain think's it is open. Our species is notorious for false perceptions, and only recently has science been able to tell us why humans gap fill.

The other two books I highly recommend are "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism" by Victor Stenger, which go into great detail as to why god does, not exist, but the second one in later chapters compares the world's religions and tells us our morality is in our evolution, not religion.

The good thing about science, like psychiatry and psychology, and neurology, this fear you have can be diagnosed by a professional, not a religious group, but a independent licensed degree professional. It really is ok to get professional help if you need it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
18-03-2016, 05:03 PM
(18-03-2016 04:40 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  You don't fear the pre life of a cockroach, or the afterlife of a cockroach do you? Do you worry about what your life was like 2 million years ago?

The evolutionary reasons that are valid to fear death about, are about surviving as long as you can, and about fear of pain and mourning the loss of others. Those are normal coping mechanisms. What religion does to the concept of afterlife, and Buddhists and Hindus also have their concepts in reincarnation, it takes our normal behaviors, and turns them into a comic book threat bribe system, and once you buy that your delusion can compound your normal coping mechanism to an unhealthy paranoid phobia.

It is OK to fear harm to yourself. We would not bother looking both ways crossing a busy street, if we didn't evolve to value self. It is also ok to fear pain. Pain is our body's way of telling us we need help. It is ok to mourn as well, that reminds us of our own mortality.

What is not healthy is allowing superstition to paralyze you to the point of not functioning at all. Now, there may be an underlying mental illness compounding your fear because of the superstitions you have been sold. I don't say "mental illness" as a slur, but a genuine thing for you to consider getting a diagnosis for. Like depression, or bi polar disorder.

Outside that, Dawkins "The God Delusion" explains in scientific terms why humans make up and falsely believe in gods. He likens it to "the moth mistaking the light bulb for moonlight". It is a neurological gap fill humans evolved when we didn't have time to asses or test our perceptions of reality. Our brains constantly gap fill, every day almost every single second, most of the time we never realize it. It is also why we transpose words like their and there, and why we can walk into a clean glass door because our brain think's it is open. Our species is notorious for false perceptions, and only recently has science been able to tell us why humans gap fill.

The other two books I highly recommend are "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism" by Victor Stenger, which go into great detail as to why god does, not exist, but the second one in later chapters compares the world's religions and tells us our morality is in our evolution, not religion.

The good thing about science, like psychiatry and psychology, and neurology, this fear you have can be diagnosed by a professional, not a religious group, but a independent licensed degree professional. It really is ok to get professional help if you need it.

yeah someone has mentioned going to get treatment or checked out before. its a matter of i currently do not have an insurance card, im waiting on my father to order some because my family has magically lost ALL of the ones we had. but i do plan on getting myself checked out. i promise you i do not like to feel this way. it affects every part of my life.
and thank you for your book suggestions. i will add them to my list! Big Grin
18-03-2016, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2016 05:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
Goddam I'm getting slow in my old age. I recommend Jim Morrison.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-03-2016, 07:39 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
18-03-2016, 07:44 PM
My fear of the end strikes again
Long ago, I worked at a BAM. The president of the company and her family are... let's just say I'm surprised they even carry Ehrman.
18-03-2016, 08:16 PM
(18-03-2016 07:44 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Long ago, I worked at a BAM. The president of the company and her family are... let's just say I'm surprised they even carry Ehrman.

He was the only author suggested to me that they carried. And they only had like 2 or 3 books. The section was religion history and it was made up of two small sections. The pickings were very slim.
18-03-2016, 08:32 PM
(18-03-2016 08:16 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 07:44 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Long ago, I worked at a BAM. The president of the company and her family are... let's just say I'm surprised they even carry Ehrman.

He was the only author suggested to me that they carried. And they only had like 2 or 3 books. The section was religion history and it was made up of two small sections. The pickings were very slim.
What surprised me is that we weren't that far from where he teaches. But then again, Bible Belt bookstores can be funny places.