My feelings about Christianity now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 07:07 AM
My feelings about Christianity now
I feel betrayed and lied to. Not just about god, but about science. All the "proof" I thought we had for a young earth doesn't exist. There is overwhelming evidence for evolution, though. I wasn't taught actual science in school. I feel let down.

I feel abandoned by my family and people who I thought were my friends. I left my home church years ago over church politics. No one has ever contacted me to see how I am doing. To them I've already strayed from god by leaving the church.

I feed sad for those who are still being controlled by the church and church leaders. Women were not allowed to cut their hair or wear pants. I don't even own a dress or a skirt because it feels restrictive. We were not allowed to go to the movies or listen to any music that wasn't Christian. Even certain CCM music was forbidden because it sounded too "worldly". I now go to movies and listen to music that makes me happy. I am in control of my own life instead of it being controlled by others.

As Christians we were taught the world was out to get us. There was a war on Christianity. Now that I am not in it anymore I can see that is not true. I don't care if you believe in a god. I don't care if you want to pray or practice what you like. I do care if you are using your religion to oppress other people and teach children science is wrong and of the "devil". I care when church leaders use god to try to manipulate others. I care when Christians lie and falsify facts to further their own agenda. If anything, there is a war for truth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 20 users Like qpmomma's post
10-04-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: My feelings about Christianity now
I know exactly how you feel. I felt lied to about science as well. I was told forever how evolution had been proven false, how the creation story was true, how Noah's Ark/The Flood is proven by science, etc. Only to find out later all the "proofs" they told me had been debunked thoroughly, sometimes as far back as 40 years ago. And the worst part is THEY STILL USE THEM.

And as far as the "war on Christianity"....what bullshit. What they mean is "we aren't being allowed to do whatever we want anymore", and somehow they think that's oppression. Nobody has shut down your chruch, no one has banned your bible, and no one has arrested you for going to church on Sundays. Get over yourself.
[+] 9 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
10-04-2017, 10:18 AM
(10-04-2017 07:07 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  I feel betrayed and lied to.

I guess the only way they can keep people in the building is to block the exits.

Sad
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
10-04-2017, 10:22 AM
At work.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
10-04-2017, 12:18 PM
I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I was brought up on a free thinking family and had no idea until several years ago how restrictive a lot of religions are. Take care of yourself and enjoy your freedom.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Hugs. I can only imagine what an upheaval this is for you and the conflict you are (maybe) dealing with. The lies and control you've been subject to are insidious and disruptive to say the very least. Do you want to talk about what tipped you over?

Also, your username has "momma" in it--you have kids? I'm a mom, too, and I imagine that they could be a complicated factor for you. I'm new around here, but if you want to talk privately, I'd be happy to be an ear and a shoulder. Feel free to pm if you want at any point.

Either way, take care of yourself. There are a lot of feelings you might deal with, and just don't let anyone tell you that this isn't just as big a deal in your life as it feels.
[+] 1 user Likes kmc's post
10-04-2017, 05:17 PM
All I can really say is that I am so glad you found your freedom and I truly hope you enjoy and relish every last minute of it.

Freedom is a wonderful thing, to be able to make your own choices, and not worry about what some ancient Bronze Age tribal deity thinks -- as if an all-powerful, universe-creating deity cares about whether or not you're wearing a skirt or how long your hair is.

Sometimes, now that you're gone from that prison, one of the best things you can do is to simply not look back. Better to spend your time enjoying your freedom than to spend it being angry at your church. Hard, I know -- and, well, maybe a little anger doesn't hurt. But don't let it consume you because then you'll end up like me -- a militant atheist. Grrr. Tongue

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 2 users Like Shirina's post
10-04-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm very sad to hear that you had to put up with all of that. You have indeed been let down, in many ways. It's awful that so many people have chosen a relationship with an imaginary friend over you.

You've been presented with falsehoods, that's certainly true. In their defense, these people are almost certainly heavily indoctrinated and so may well believe they are telling you the truth. They are victims, just as you are. That's not meant to excuse what they have done, just to try and understand it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
10-04-2017, 05:31 PM
(10-04-2017 07:07 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Now that I am not in it anymore I can see that is not true.

I hear this a lot on this forum and I don't really understand it. I went to a Lutheran parochial school K-9 and we were never taught that the Bible or even religion was "true". We were taught the Old Testament was an account of the history of the Jews and the New Testament was the dummie's guide to the Torah on how to live a decent life. We were never taught the creation story as anything other than a metaphor for the inherent risks associated with knowledge and technology. Same with the Tower of Babel. Maybe it's just the Lutherans? They were started by a pissed off vandal nailing 95 feces on a wall after all.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-04-2017, 06:10 PM
I still regard xtianity as silly shit.

It's xtians who I see that are getting worse.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post