My feelings about Christianity now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: My feelings about Christianity now
(10-04-2017 06:10 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I still regard xtianity as silly shit.

It's xtians who I see that are getting worse.

The fight against gay marriage really aroused the fundevangelists in this country and now they think they're under attack on all sides by vast armies of secular, atheist, communist, baby-eating, ravenous hordes (and I'm still only being half as melodramatic as they are).

What they truly don't understand is that all of the ground they've lost over the last 50 years is ground they never should have had to begin with. They're just butthurt because atheists have finally decided to push the government into enforcing the Constitution in regards to religion.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Shirina's post
11-04-2017, 12:04 PM
(10-04-2017 12:26 PM)kmc Wrote:  Hugs. I can only imagine what an upheaval this is for you and the conflict you are (maybe) dealing with. The lies and control you've been subject to are insidious and disruptive to say the very least. Do you want to talk about what tipped you over?

Also, your username has "momma" in it--you have kids? I'm a mom, too, and I imagine that they could be a complicated factor for you. I'm new around here, but if you want to talk privately, I'd be happy to be an ear and a shoulder. Feel free to pm if you want at any point.

Either way, take care of yourself. There are a lot of feelings you might deal with, and just don't let anyone tell you that this isn't just as big a deal in your life as it feels.

It was a bunch of little things. My church didn't seem to care when I left over politics. I had a miscarriage and was trying to reconcile why god would do something like that. I think the last thing was the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate. It really opened my eyes to how BS the Bible really is.

I am a mother to a young child. I'm lucky because my husband was never a Christian. He always said "What if the Bible isn't real? What if it's just made up stories?" I used to get so mad at him and we never talked about it. My daughter asks about god and Jesus (my fault) and I've been trying to undo that. She's only 7 so I think it's easier for me.
[+] 3 users Like qpmomma's post
11-04-2017, 12:06 PM
(10-04-2017 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 07:07 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Now that I am not in it anymore I can see that is not true.

I hear this a lot on this forum and I don't really understand it. I went to a Lutheran parochial school K-9 and we were never taught that the Bible or even religion was "true". We were taught the Old Testament was an account of the history of the Jews and the New Testament was the dummie's guide to the Torah on how to live a decent life. We were never taught the creation story as anything other than a metaphor for the inherent risks associated with knowledge and technology. Same with the Tower of Babel. Maybe it's just the Lutherans? They were started by a pissed off vandal nailing 95 feces on a wall after all.

Wow, really?? I grew up Baptist and the Bible was 100% accurate. If science went against the Bible science was wrong. We watched Ken Ham's videos in science class...
[+] 2 users Like qpmomma's post
11-04-2017, 12:10 PM
That was a sad story. It's supposed to be a happy story.

Hug

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
(11-04-2017 12:06 PM)qpmomma Wrote:  We watched Ken Ham's videos in science class...

Gasp
Weeping

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
11-04-2017, 06:35 PM
(10-04-2017 07:07 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Even certain CCM music was forbidden because it sounded too "worldly".

Sorry about your experience there. Hug Just had to jump on this part and go "oh, she means 'God or girlfriend' songs as my youth group called them, where the songs could be about loving God or your girlfriend. But so many people hated Christian artists for 'selling out' for doing them because it didn't have enough Jesus Per Minute for them."
(10-04-2017 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 07:07 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Now that I am not in it anymore I can see that is not true.

I hear this a lot on this forum and I don't really understand it. I went to a Lutheran parochial school K-9 and we were never taught that the Bible or even religion was "true". We were taught the Old Testament was an account of the history of the Jews and the New Testament was the dummie's guide to the Torah on how to live a decent life. We were never taught the creation story as anything other than a metaphor for the inherent risks associated with knowledge and technology. Same with the Tower of Babel. Maybe it's just the Lutherans? They were started by a pissed off vandal nailing 95 feces on a wall after all.

I'm with qpmomma; growing up as a Baptist, got the whole "Earth is 6000 years old", "Earth was created in six literal days and on the seventh, God rested", "The Bible is inerrant and true, any science that conflicts with the Bible is wrong" stuff as well.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Jesus, you basically explained my experience perfectly, except my pastor embezzled six figures for years from the congregation. He went to jail for that, however Wink

It's so easy to feel betrayal and resentment once you've woken up to the world around you. Suddenly, people really matter - your life really matters.

I think it is instructive of your growth that you landed on a positive atheist thread to discuss this; you could have easily allowed bitterness to take hold, and it appears that you are choosing to rise above the bullshit - because you are better than all of it.

-Mike
[+] 4 users Like melliott79's post
12-04-2017, 03:05 PM
(10-04-2017 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I hear this a lot on this forum and I don't really understand it. I went to a Lutheran parochial school K-9 and we were never taught that the Bible or even religion was "true". We were taught the Old Testament was an account of the history of the Jews and the New Testament was the dummie's guide to the Torah on how to live a decent life. We were never taught the creation story as anything other than a metaphor for the inherent risks associated with knowledge and technology. Same with the Tower of Babel. Maybe it's just the Lutherans? They were started by a pissed off vandal nailing 95 feces on a wall after all.

(11-04-2017 12:06 PM)qpmomma Wrote:  Wow, really?? I grew up Baptist and the Bible was 100% accurate. If science went against the Bible science was wrong. We watched Ken Ham's videos in science class...

(11-04-2017 06:35 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm with qpmomma; growing up as a Baptist, got the whole "Earth is 6000 years old", "Earth was created in six literal days and on the seventh, God rested", "The Bible is inerrant and true, any science that conflicts with the Bible is wrong" stuff as well.

I don't think you were taught Christianity. Might've been taught something, but it sure as shit wasn't Christian.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 03:21 PM
(11-04-2017 06:35 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm with qpmomma; growing up as a Baptist, got the whole "Earth is 6000 years old", "Earth was created in six literal days and on the seventh, God rested", "The Bible is inerrant and true, any science that conflicts with the Bible is wrong" stuff as well.

But I've got one better...were you ever told dinosaurs didn't exist? Blink

Yeah that was me, in the early/mid 70s in a baptist grammar school. Gasp

We were taught that dinosaurs were a trick of fake scientists. They were almost always whale or bones of other animals, mixed up.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-04-2017, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 04:44 PM by kmc.)
(11-04-2017 12:04 PM)qpmomma Wrote:  I am a mother to a young child. I'm lucky because my husband was never a Christian. He always said "What if the Bible isn't real? What if it's just made up stories?" I used to get so mad at him and we never talked about it. My daughter asks about god and Jesus (my fault) and I've been trying to undo that. She's only 7 so I think it's easier for me.

I'm glad you'll have your husband's support! Man, that's crucial. I'm going to give you some advice you didn't ask for, and that's to gently turn your conversations with your daughter to a focus on "what some people believe." Obviously, I'm no expert--first of all, it's your kid--and I have been fortunate not to suffer much from my own experience with church, to the extent I still enjoy going with my mom. However, the primary reason I take my kids with me (when I can be bothered to get up that early, that is) is because modern-church Christianity is a massive influence on our culture. I think the best innoculation someone can get against having a later-in-life born-again moment is by gaining an early, thorough familiarity with the church that is empathy-driven but put into historical and social context, with plenty of opportunity for questions and analysis. We don't read or tell bible stories at home, but I do plan to introduce them along with tales and myths from other cultures as well, and every time we go to church, we talk on the way home about the lessons and the messages they're getting. I'm very up front with them that Grandma believes in God, Daddy doesn't believe in God, and that other people believe in lots of different gods.

But ultimately, my point is that your daughter is at a great age to transition out of an idea of a perfect, true, unquestionable God, and that it's a great opportunity for you to deepen you guys' relationship by being open with her about changing your mind about something so huge.
[+] 2 users Like kmc's post