My fifth video is up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 12:08 AM

RE: My fifth video is up
(23-03-2013 09:44 AM)Katiegal Wrote:  I did not quite grab the concept of "Internet religion" until I watched the video and after maybe thirty second realized that there was no congregation except the video camera. Anyway, I thought the production values were okay. After all, what more could you have done on with what is probably a miniscule budget? The maroon curtain backdrop was effective (maroon seems to go well with religion) but I thought that you might have been helped with a little more lighting. The audio was good though.

Thanks. Hopefully, the video production will get better as I gain more experience.

Quote:As for the actual content of your sermons, I am guessing you are probably pretty stuck on those particular beliefs, which is kind of too bad, seeing that you have the energy and the inclination to start a new religion using the latest media outlets. But I think the public has tired of Bible and Koran-based religions and is looking for something perhaps ancient in appearance but with a new spin. Maybe the old, white bearded, cloud-residing god but with a smile; something that will catch the attention of younger folks without abandoning the older people.

Ah, yes. Like the fat happy Buddha statues sitting in Chinese restaurants.

I don't think so....Homey don't play dat.

Quote:This god could be more into moral actions of individuals rather than demanding egotistical worshiping, and small, pointless sacrifices in food, clothing etc. The god could be against various bigotry and discrimination too. In other words; make him more of a pro-gay, and pro women god.

Just brainstorming. I hope I've helped.

Sounds ridiculous.
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 12:20 AM
"Sounds ridiculous"

The irony here it's just killing me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
24-03-2013, 12:34 AM

(23-03-2013 12:00 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  We probably are a cult, at least for now. I don't require devotion to myself, but everything else seems to fit the definition. But what can one do? That's how religions start.

Quote:Quote from the cover of the Veridican Gospel:
The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is an "inspired synthesis of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Thomas" (bolding mine; quote from the cover of the book). Based on your own statement, this so-called gospel is your own creation. It's another name for yet another non-canonical mishmash of Scriptural and non-Scriptural sources (Thomas will never be considered inspired by mainstream Christianity) typically created to advance a group's own agenda, and tends to originate from the hand of a charismatic leader claiming special revelation of "truth." No mainstream denomination would accept the Veridican "Gospel" as authoritative or inspired.

I'm not trying to be secretive here: We are not a mainstream denomination of Christianity. We are not looking for their approval. So, there's no real conspiracy going on.

[quote]Your "authorization" from the Veridican website:
"These Articles, having been laid down by my hand under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, on January 22, 2013, shall not be changed except they be altered by a duly elected church council of the leading Veridican Church which shall cast a unanimous vote by a quorum of ordained leaders belonging to that council. So help me God." (bolding mine)

So based on this statement from your website, *you* came up with your articles of faith, but it takes a unanimous vote to change them? And who ordains the other leaders? Are they beholden to you? Are they *related* to you? Who or what gives you the authority to come up with this stuff and then require a unanimous vote to change it? Smells like...central authority in a single, charismatic leader!

Right now, it is. My authority comes from God and the Holy Spirit who directs me in what to write and say.

Quote:From altreligion.about.com:
"Central Authority In a Single, Charismatic Leader"
Dangerous cults are commonly led by a single person whose authority cannot be easily challenged (bolding mine). These leaders are often accepted as either prophets gifted with divine insight unavailable to members or as gods themselves. Loyalty and adoration are often significantly directed toward the leader rather than some outside force." Gee, who does that remind me of?

Again, that's how religions start.

Quote:snip

So, I take it you're a Christian who likes to pretend you're an atheist? Huh
24-03-2013, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 05:01 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-03-2013 12:34 AM)Egor Wrote:  "These Articles, having been laid down by my hand under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, on January 22, 2013, shall not be changed except they be altered by a duly elected church council of the leading Veridican Church which shall cast a unanimous vote by a quorum of ordained leaders belonging to that council. So help me God." (bolding mine)
My authority comes from God and the Holy Spirit who directs me in what to write and say.

Sounds like a fucking tree-house club of a bunch of 10 year olds, taking themselves VERY seriously. (I think someone is having a midlife crisis).
I just converted. Jebus is talking to me in my head. He tole me Egsy is a fricking debil-man, and the spirit wants ta wipe out all evil new chuches. I'm inspired too, doncha know. Really. I now speak in tongues, an everthin. Whoo-hoo. I can now start my own chuch. Get ready fer some vids world. I'll be busy, and won't be back until Easter. Oh wait. No I won't.
I'll be starting a new chuch. L'egisle de la dick vert. The Church of the Green Dick. I will be it's senior pooh-bah. Bow down, and worship, (or do something).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-03-2013, 08:43 AM
(24-03-2013 12:08 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 09:44 AM)Katiegal Wrote:  I did not quite grab the concept of "Internet religion" until I watched the video and after maybe thirty second realized that there was no congregation except the video camera. Anyway, I thought the production values were okay. After all, what more could you have done on with what is probably a miniscule budget? The maroon curtain backdrop was effective (maroon seems to go well with religion) but I thought that you might have been helped with a little more lighting. The audio was good though.

Thanks. Hopefully, the video production will get better as I gain more experience.

Quote:As for the actual content of your sermons, I am guessing you are probably pretty stuck on those particular beliefs, which is kind of too bad, seeing that you have the energy and the inclination to start a new religion using the latest media outlets. But I think the public has tired of Bible and Koran-based religions and is looking for something perhaps ancient in appearance but with a new spin. Maybe the old, white bearded, cloud-residing god but with a smile; something that will catch the attention of younger folks without abandoning the older people.

Ah, yes. Like the fat happy Buddha statues sitting in Chinese restaurants.

I don't think so....Homey don't play dat.

Quote:This god could be more into moral actions of individuals rather than demanding egotistical worshiping, and small, pointless sacrifices in food, clothing etc. The god could be against various bigotry and discrimination too. In other words; make him more of a pro-gay, and pro women god.

Just brainstorming. I hope I've helped.

Sounds ridiculous.
I was actually going for the humorous if not quite the ridiculous. I mean; having someone come along suggesting changes on the very tenets of the religion for purposes of making that religion more contemporary and therefore getting the maximum number of followers... what self-respecting religion would do that? And while I am mentioning Mormonism (as well as most other religions), I do see the similarity to you and Joseph Smith, a similarity mentioned by a poster or two. He put his own touches on Christianity, as have you. I'm not sure your private life can mimic his. Wouldn't that be something if it did?
24-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Nah, Egor is crazy, but not as crazy as Joseph Smith. I don't see Egor making up a fake "higher" Egyptian language and then translating it using a magic rock, all without letting any other human being ever see it. Even Egor knows that's too crazy to be believed - he just hears holy voices in his head, kinda like Son of Sam did. No harm in that...

(ignore the fact that 14,000,000 Mormons believe exactly that which I just said is too crazy to be believed - Joseph Smith seems to have scraped those 14M people off the bottom of the barrel, which, I'm afraid, won't leave too many left who are gullible enough for Egor's new cult)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
24-03-2013, 09:33 AM
(23-03-2013 11:12 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Why would morality stem from obedience to authority? Why can't morality stem from a dependence on others?

Are you familiar with the idea of "the social contract"? It's basically an unspoken agreement that you won't rob, rape, or kill your friends (even when presented with an opportunity) in trade for their unspoken agreement that they won't do it to you. Society couldn't function without it.

It feels like you're looking at morality through your personal bias -- your morality comes from an obedience to authority, and so you assume that everyone's must also. But there are perfectly rational reasons to be moral, even when there is no authority to obey. Moral actions build the necessary trust between each other for society to work. If we couldn't act morally, the social contract would fail.

^This, right here!

Seems to me that "morality" is FAR more relevant to this model than the "trying to be obedient to an authority" model. One is an inward self reflection of how the person KNOWS others should be treated, hoping for it in return. The other is "I am afraid to make daddy mad, so will do what he says". The former is much more moral than the latter.
24-03-2013, 09:44 AM
(23-03-2013 12:44 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Also, what he's written on this forum should probably be preserved but I bet that's already happening.
If not, google certainly does the job, if a little haphazardly.

We're in the information age, so it's gonna happen.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
24-03-2013, 07:40 PM

I'm not afraid of what I say or have said. I put my identity out there. You all have to hide. I want what I say to be recorded forever. Your anonymity makes you pointless and irrelevant.
24-03-2013, 07:50 PM
(24-03-2013 07:40 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'm not afraid of what I say or have said. I put my identity out there. You all have to hide. I want what I say to be recorded forever. Your anonymity makes you pointless and irrelevant.
Not sure if this was directed at anyone in particular, but if its a broad statement id like to remind you that one of the longest threads on the forum is dedicated to showing who people are. Almost every user is on it somewhere so the "Your anonymity makes you pointless and irrelevant."argument you used is exactly that pointless and irrelevant.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post