My first meeting with Jehovah's Witnesses as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: My first meeting with Jehovah's Witnesses as an atheist
(02-08-2015 09:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:46 AM)Dex Wrote:  Funny. I had my first visit with a JW yesterday. Wasn't as interesting though, as neither of us was really prepared for a serious discussion. He was a really slow-talking old man and didn't really answer any of my questions. At one point he claimed the Bible is the oldest book ever written. Lol. At the end, he told me he bets that deep down I still believe, and when I shook my head he he said, "Well I think you do." I just said, "Well I guess we disagree on that." That was pretty much the end. He laughed and said he wouldn't comment on that and then we parted ways.

Oh, at one point he said, voice full of concern, "You must have had something tragic happen to you for you to not believe anymore." I was just like "Nope." He looked really confused.

How does one know if they're JWs. I have no idea since I shut the door so quickly, but whoever they, are they show up in threes. A grandma type, a middle aged lady and a little kid of about 6.

Now if they were selling cookie dough for a worthy cause I'd keep the door open but alas......they're selling a myth with zero chocolate chips. Angry

JWs - usually two women, often in the company of a child. Most people won't slam the door or get too verbally abusive in front of a child.

The Baptists show up with cookies baked by good Christian women. Tongue

At least, that's been my experience.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2015, 02:16 PM
The interesting thing about this is that I realized long after the conversation was done that had I stuck with what I know best, the conversation would have been like 15-30 minutes. It ended up being 2 hours because we were arguing about what the Bible says, and prove to me that you're religion is right as opposed to all the other religions out there.

Jehovah's Witnesses are trained to know their Bible. You know what they don't know? Their own goddamn history. And it's a doozy.

It's not like other older religions where some guy says, "I believe in the ancient god Chhhhzulaipftin." And you're like, "Okay, prove to me that's a thing." And they're just like, "there's this ancient rock, 1.2 million years old with markings on it." And you're like, "Okay, I can't deal with that crap." (Or at least that's how I am anyway).

But with Jehovah's Witnesses (as with other rather recent religions), they just picked the wrong time to be a thing. They started like late 1800's, whenever Chuck Russell was doing his thing, right? Yeah, at a time when we put value on recording stuff. Writings, newspapers, photographs, videos, we got the internet. There's libraries where you can pull out old copies of Watchtower mags, and be like, "Look what you fuckers said here. How can you even what?" Charles Taze Russell's gravesite is a landmark. You can go there. Right next to a pyramid monument that the Watchtower built.

Do they know this stuff? Do they know about the failed prophecies? Do they know about the scandals? The politics? All the view changes?

I dated a Jehovah's Witness. And she really acted like the stuff they believe now is the stuff they've always believed in. She actually had the nerve to say, "you know all these other religions are concerned with the year 2000 and the end is coming. We don't do that." Shocking

When I look back on what happened last Saturday with that couple, I remember that snippet about "There's no divisions in Jehovah's Witnesses." And the reaction they had when I was like, "Uh, no that's wrong."

The last time I ever looked up anything about Jehovah's Witnesses was in like 1999 when I was dating a JW. And when these people came to the door, I was just thinking, "Shit, I'm an atheist, I don't care what they are. I'm just gonna argue about why I'm an atheist and why their 1 religion out of the millions out there doesn't impress me."

Facepalm That was a mistake as they just kept trying to impress me. But their reaction to me telling them a little something about their religion that they seemed to not know, should have told me, "Dude, remember all that crap you were researching back in the day? Pull it out!"

That's just not how my mind works when arguing. It's always like way too late, the next day or later, when I realize, "Ah, I shoulda said this and that and the other." Facepalm

(02-08-2015 08:46 AM)Dex Wrote:  Funny. I had my first visit with a JW yesterday. Wasn't as interesting though, as neither of us was really prepared for a serious discussion. He was a really slow-talking old man and didn't really answer any of my questions. At one point he claimed the Bible is the oldest book ever written. Lol. At the end, he told me he bets that deep down I still believe, and when I shook my head he he said, "Well I think you do." I just said, "Well I guess we disagree on that." That was pretty much the end. He laughed and said he wouldn't comment on that and then we parted ways.

Oh, at one point he said, voice full of concern, "You must have had something tragic happen to you for you to not believe anymore." I was just like "Nope." He looked really confused.

You really wonder how many atheists these people have ever come into contact with. Like when a southerner sees snow for the first time.

Mine was when I said I was an atheist, the woman said, "You know it's interesting to meat someone with your beliefs who is actually nice and polite."

Um... thanks I think?

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
03-08-2015, 02:32 PM
I actually have very pleasant discussions with JWs at the door. My sister is a JW and I've heard ALL the arguments. So, they knock on the door and say hello and we have a little chat and then they go away. They've done their bit and they've been pleasant to me and vice versa.
03-08-2015, 02:48 PM
(03-08-2015 02:32 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I actually have very pleasant discussions with JWs at the door. My sister is a JW and I've heard ALL the arguments. So, they knock on the door and say hello and we have a little chat and then they go away. They've done their bit and they've been pleasant to me and vice versa.

The couple talking to me Saturday was very nice as well. Probably another reason why maybe subconsciously I didn't want to bring up their religion's very troubling history. I'm not a confrontational person (well, not in person anyway. In forums I can be a bit of a prick). But my concern for them is there. I think next time my approach will be to point them in the direction and say, "Hey, Jehovah's Witnesses said this and that. And you can look it up and see for yourself." Because a lot of them just don't know.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post
03-08-2015, 02:49 PM
(02-08-2015 10:00 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 09:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had two really hot JW guys ride up on bikes when I was moving. They asked me if I needed help--I said no because I really didn't want to hear Bible verses while packing boxes (even if they were offering to help me move). But they were quite cute! Tongue If this happens more often, I might consider converting Laugh out load

Definitely sounds like Mormons...two young men, bicycles, white dress shirts, helmets, backpacks....they are easy to spot.

Right, I have been in such a fog lately. Not sleeping Sad
03-08-2015, 02:50 PM
(03-08-2015 02:48 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 02:32 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I actually have very pleasant discussions with JWs at the door. My sister is a JW and I've heard ALL the arguments. So, they knock on the door and say hello and we have a little chat and then they go away. They've done their bit and they've been pleasant to me and vice versa.

The couple talking to me Saturday was very nice as well. Probably another reason why maybe subconsciously I didn't want to bring up their religion's very troubling history. I'm not a confrontational person (well, not in person anyway. In forums I can be a bit of a prick). But my concern for them is there. I think next time my approach will be to point them in the direction and say, "Hey, Jehovah's Witnesses said this and that. And you can look it up and see for yourself." Because a lot of them just don't know.

Per your signature--I think you should have just made them a pot of pasta and as they were eating tell them they have now been indoctrinated into the FSM's loving embrace Big Grin
03-08-2015, 03:07 PM
(03-08-2015 02:48 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  [

My local JWs know my sister is a JW. I live in Holland and my sister lives in Australia, and I've told them about her. So they come to offer me the Watchtower and I decline but we get on very well.

But the JWs have never ever predicted the end of the world.....oh, wait.
04-08-2015, 08:55 AM
When I was a boy in Peru (maybe ~ 1972) an old lady came to our door. I answered and she asked me if I knew god's name. I said "He is just god". She pulled out a bible opened it and pointed to a part that where it referred to god a jehova and she left. At the time, I knew nothing of jehova's witnesses.

I think if they came to my door now, I'd be like: "Oh my god! I am really sorry. You are in and end of days cult. Please, please try to get out before you have an accident or need surgery and need a blood transfusion and you needlessly die..." It would be easy to point out it's end of days cultish aspects with disfellowship and people reporting you to church elders if your behavior changes, etc.
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
I had Mormons, come to my door once. My wife and I were getting frisky, on the couch when I saw them threw our blinds. I sighed and got up. " What is it?" My wife asked. "Mormons." I replied.

"Hello, would you take a moment to talk about Jesus Christ." They said in their suit and ties.

"Not really a good time guys." I said sternly emplying I just wanted to be left alone.

"When would be a good time?" The tall one asked.

"Never." As I shut the door.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
04-08-2015, 05:20 PM
I used to have a JW couple call to my door once a week. We'd have a grand chat and each time they'd leave with a confused look on their faces. In the end they just stopped calling. Shame.... I miss winding the poor fuckers up.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post