My first non-believer convention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 03:55 PM
RE: My first non-believer convention
(04-05-2014 03:36 PM)beeglez Wrote:  For some reason, my last post showed up blank. I was trying to reply to Charis.

No biggie - somewhere in your editing you forgot either your [quote thingy] or it's necessary [/quote thingy]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 03:57 PM
(04-05-2014 11:07 AM)Charis Wrote:  That sounds like fun! I'll need to look up possible events where I live. Might be hard, though, since I'm right smack in the Bible Belt.

(04-05-2014 09:04 AM)beeglez Wrote:  Another attendee said there was a man with his little girl proselytizing on a street corner, and apparently there was a ranting crazy street preacher well known to students at NC State and other colleges.

Okay.... stop the wagon. This is NOT COOL. I have been here, I've done that, and I hang my head low in shame (and rightly so. There is every reason for me to be ashamed of this). But even while I was still fully-entrenched fundy, I grew a brain and a backbone and stopped doing this and had my then-husband stop doing it.... though I had to do some semantics and pleas to the girls' safety and stuff... and even then he didn't take me seriously, especially if a man disagreed with me. But I (mostly) got him to stop for the following reasons:

1. I've been on the street preaching scene, handing out tracts, etc. It's usually pretty peaceful, but sometimes it can get very ugly. Police are often involved just to keep an eye on things and it makes THEM nervous too. They know people, and they know how emotions can get hot and lead to some serious conflict, including violence.
If a street preacher is going to do this, they need to keep their kids at home... it's simply too unpredictable, and the kids need to stay safe.

2. The kids don't have a clue what they're doing. I've seen people's kids (LITTLE KIDS!!!!) out there distributing Christian literature. This is a little bit ironic for a fundamentalist to do, as many of these same kids do not yet have a profession of faith, and for some of them it's because they're just too young to understand! My daughter was 2. TWO! and he was having her help him pass out tracts. First of all, she needs to be informed (he said,"she's informed! I told her we're telling people about Jesus!" She's TWO) and second of all.....

3. ....human shields and manipulation! "People take more of the tracts when I have her. I hold her and have her be the one to hand them the tract. They have a really hard time saying no to a two-year-old." No! No, THAT's manipulation to a horrid degree and it is sicksicksicksicksick! Also, when I'd worry about things getting ugly with the girls around.... "Don't worry, nothing's going to happen. Besides, people aren't going to act violent with me when I'm holding Chloe." You're... you're using my baby as a human shield?????? WTAF????? Even our dearest Taq couldn't come up with enough colorful language to do this justice!

Wow kid, you've been through some bad stuff haven't you? Hug

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-05-2014, 04:01 PM
(04-05-2014 03:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 11:07 AM)Charis Wrote:  That sounds like fun! I'll need to look up possible events where I live. Might be hard, though, since I'm right smack in the Bible Belt.

Okay.... stop the wagon. This is NOT COOL. I have been here, I've done that, and I hang my head low in shame (and rightly so. There is every reason for me to be ashamed of this). But even while I was still fully-entrenched fundy, I grew a brain and a backbone and stopped doing this and had my then-husband stop doing it.... though I had to do some semantics and pleas to the girls' safety and stuff... and even then he didn't take me seriously, especially if a man disagreed with me. But I (mostly) got him to stop for the following reasons:

1. I've been on the street preaching scene, handing out tracts, etc. It's usually pretty peaceful, but sometimes it can get very ugly. Police are often involved just to keep an eye on things and it makes THEM nervous too. They know people, and they know how emotions can get hot and lead to some serious conflict, including violence.
If a street preacher is going to do this, they need to keep their kids at home... it's simply too unpredictable, and the kids need to stay safe.

2. The kids don't have a clue what they're doing. I've seen people's kids (LITTLE KIDS!!!!) out there distributing Christian literature. This is a little bit ironic for a fundamentalist to do, as many of these same kids do not yet have a profession of faith, and for some of them it's because they're just too young to understand! My daughter was 2. TWO! and he was having her help him pass out tracts. First of all, she needs to be informed (he said,"she's informed! I told her we're telling people about Jesus!" She's TWO) and second of all.....

3. ....human shields and manipulation! "People take more of the tracts when I have her. I hold her and have her be the one to hand them the tract. They have a really hard time saying no to a two-year-old." No! No, THAT's manipulation to a horrid degree and it is sicksicksicksicksick! Also, when I'd worry about things getting ugly with the girls around.... "Don't worry, nothing's going to happen. Besides, people aren't going to act violent with me when I'm holding Chloe." You're... you're using my baby as a human shield?????? WTAF????? Even our dearest Taq couldn't come up with enough colorful language to do this justice!

Wow kid, you've been through some bad stuff haven't you? Hug

Sadcryface Long story. Yes. Bad stuff.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
04-05-2014, 04:04 PM
(04-05-2014 11:07 AM)Charis Wrote:  That sounds like fun! I'll need to look up possible events where I live. Might be, though, since I'm right smack in the Bible Belt.

What part of MO are you in, Charis?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Southwest region.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
04-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Hmm... Joplin or Springfield both have a couple of groups you might check out:

Springfield:
Springfield Freethinkers Meetup Group
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster at Missouri State

Joplin:
Joplin Freethinkers
Joplin Atheist Society Meetup Group

Are you near one of those?

[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I can imagine how empowering that convention was for you Bee! I hope to one day be able to attend a non-believer convention as well.

Having been on both sides of the fence, religion wise, I don't pay too much attention these days to what the christians are doing. My focus is still on detoxing myself from the indoctrination.

I know many atheists get very angry at the bible thumpers, and I sure don't blame them! I guess because I was one for many years, I still feel some guilt. Not because atheists make me feel guilty, I do it to myself.

My immediate family knows that I no longer believe in god, or any religion. And because I had raised my kids in church, I felt it was my duty to tell them what I had learned regarding the bible. I sat them both down about a year ago, shared with them some of the obvious bible errors, and advised them to consider what I said, and to make their own decisions. My daughter is now undecided, and my son agrees with me.

99% of my family are christians, and do not yet know of my de-conversion. Good luck in coming out bee!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
04-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Yes, I'm by Springfield! Big Grin

04-05-2014, 05:42 PM
[[/quote]
04-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, I can't seem to figure the quote thing out!

quote='Charis' pid='561499' dateline='1399239998']
If I'm correct, the Duggars get many of their family principals from fundamentalists including Bill Gothard. Gothard.... he's a monstrosity. I can say that no, those kids probably do NOT, at this point, have an original thought in their heads. I wish I could say otherwise, but the term "rebellion" is used for a very wiiiide range of attitudes and behaviors and is often dealt with severely. [quote]

Ok, let's see if I can get the 'quote' thing to work now. Yes, the Duggars are affiliated with that sick bastard, Gothard. They are also affiliated with Focus on the Family, and the Family Research Council. Michelle Duggar encourages other women to submit to their husbands, have sex even when they don't want to, and wear their hair in a way that is pleasing to their husband. They allegedly used to endorse the Debi and Michael Pearl book "To Train Up a Child" which is essentially a how to manual for child abuse. Supposedly, they removed it from their page when the show became popular. Just the things they admit to are cringe worthy. None of the 'children', even those in their 20s are allowed to do so much as go too the grocery store without a chaperone. Their internet access is controlled, their text messages are monitored, and they cannot even kiss until marriage. They are allowed brief 'side hugs' (permission granted by the father who watches) while courting, and can hold hands after engagement. I watched the show initially because I was still holding on to my faith, and when I began departing from it, I started following a snark site on-line and learned a lot of the beliefs that the family endorsed that weren't featured on the show. Now, I still watch it so I can continue to follow the discussions.

I'm glad you were strong enough to get out. I'm not sure I could do the same if I'd been that heavily indoctrinated. My church was conservative, and my parents very religious, but nothing near as drastic as what you describe. You might be interested in checking out Recovering From Religion organization. One of the board members, Sarah Moorehead, spoke at our convention. She is a former obedient submissive wife with 7 kids. Her story was very moving. She was physically abused and at times held prisoner by her husband. She endured it because she considered it her cross to bear, and knew her reward was waiting in heaven. When her husband abused their daughter during an argument, she had had enough and she kicked him out. She went to the church to which she had committed her tithes and her time, and asked the male charity fund directors for money to pay the rent and feed the kids. They told her they'd pray about it. So they did, and god said 'no'. They instead counseled her on how to be a better wife and make her husband happy. As she was leaving humiliated and in tears, she almost ran into a man at the door. He was a worker sent to etch the glass doors, and she thought "wait a minute. God is cool with paying to etch glass, but not to feed my kids?'. None of the church members or homeschool community helped her, but her Pagan gay neighbors did. So here were these godless sinning gay guys reaching out when the good Christians would not.

http://recoveringfromreligion.org/board-of-directors/
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post