My first post: Response to Christian email about Conn. tragedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
RE: My first post: Response to Christian email about Conn. tragedy
Not related but definitely for you.

(02-01-2013 04:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 04:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except that 99% of Christians wouldn't say that because they don't know that term and have no idea what it means. Drinking Beverage
Good point.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
(30-12-2012 07:08 PM)Arm-Chair Physicist Wrote:  My first post to an atheist board after converting from Baptist Christianity about a year ago (Long story, of course)...

That's not possible! You must not have been a "real" Christian then!

I'm totally kidding. I'm also a former Baptist Christian but have been an atheist for over 10 years. I'm just trying to get you used to that argument, because I promise that you'll hear it a lot from Christians. Welcome to the forum.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 07:45 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The OP is part of a larger pattern I have seen, having been exposed to hospital ICU's, and terminal illness. I often think, that if they *really* believed in the religious junk, (going to be with Jebus), they would not cling so desperately to life, and demand "everything" be done. They'd be happy to get on with it, and get there. It's pretty obvious many people say they believe in the heaven stuff, and it doesn't really percolate down to their real thought process. They say they believe. Their actions prove otherwise.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-01-2013, 02:56 PM
(02-01-2013 10:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The OP is part of a larger pattern I have seen, having been exposed to hospital ICU's, and terminal illness. I often think, that if they *really* believed in the religious junk, (going to be with Jebus), they would not cling so desperately to life, and demand "everything" be done. They'd be happy to get on with it, and get there. It's pretty obvious many people say they believe in the heaven stuff, and it doesn't really percolate down to their real thought process. They say they believe. Their actions prove otherwise.
Yeah, I sometimes have trouble understanding it. It's like the faith healers who have health insurance.

I suppose this is more of a thing when people are talking about death and illness though. I have a friend who always posts anti-religious stuff on facebook, and now his dad is sick and he's publicly asking for prayers. I understand they are feeling powerless and scared, but to me, it still seems odd. Likewise, when my dad died, my mom suddenly became religious. I guess that's just something some people do in these situations. The confusion for me is that, no matter what is going on in my life, I lack belief in the supernatural to the same extent as any other time. For some religious folks, their belief seems to wax and wane.

But maybe that's why the poem mentioned in the OP seemed so outrageously wrong to me, because I think even most of the Christians don't really, 100% believe for sure the kids are in heaven, even if they say they do. Otherwise, there would be no reason for them to mourn anyone's death or seek health care when injured/sick. But to me, I dunno, my reaction to the poem was sort of the reaction you'd have at people laughing at and making fun of the kids' deaths, I sort of wanted to call the "author" of this parody a sick fuck, and I was legitimately shocked to see/hear people calling it "beautiful."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2013, 03:48 PM
(30-12-2012 07:08 PM)Arm-Chair Physicist Wrote:  My first post to an atheist board after converting from Baptist Christianity about a year ago (Long story, of course)...
I recently received a Christmas email letter in response to the Conneticut tragedy and just had to share my thoughts with someone. I am not sure if this was mentioned before, but I did not find it in a search. The conclusion I draw may be obvious to most of you, but I thought I would share anyway. Wink (old school smileys are best, imnsho)
The title of the email was "We're spending Christmas at God's House". It was a remake of "The Night Before Christmas". Here was the jist of the email:
The twenty children that were gunned down went to heaven and were met by Christ. They had forgotten all about what happened in the school (but somehow remembered everything else, like the fact that there was a Christmas). Everything was beautiful and wonderful. Jesus hugged and loved the kids. He then promises to "take care of mom and dad"...
So, I get that this is supposed to somehow comfort those hurting with the loss of little ones. However, I know that some if not MOST Christians believe that children under a certain age (or level of understanding) DO in fact go straight to heaven and this is a great example.
If that is the case, the only logical conclusion is that WE MUST SLAUGHTER ALL CHILDREN under the "age of accountability". This way, they will go right to heaven and not be bothered with all the suffereing and pain here on earth. As a matter of fact, I think this is the best possible arguement for abortion that there can be!! If there is even a fraction of a minute chance that they child will turn away from God and go to hell, a place of eternal pain and punishment, then the only humane thing to do is kill them before they get the chance to feel any pain!!!!! WTF can they possibly be thinking!??! Oh yeah, they aren't...
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I hope I can contribute in the future.
"He then promises to take care of Mom and Dad", assuming of course, they're Christian, if not, well then they get tossed into an eternal lake of fire. Enjoy Heaven kids!
03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
(30-12-2012 07:08 PM)Arm-Chair Physicist Wrote:  the only logical conclusion is that WE MUST SLAUGHTER ALL CHILDREN under the "age of accountability". This way, they will go right to heaven and not be bothered with all the suffereing and pain here on earth. As a matter of fact, I think this is the best possible arguement for abortion that there can be!! If there is even a fraction of a minute chance that they child will turn away from God and go to hell, a place of eternal pain and punishment, then the only humane thing to do is kill them before they get the chance to feel any pain!!!!! WTF can they possibly be thinking!??! Oh yeah, they aren't...

Slaughter the kids, huh? Now there's a thought! Evil_monster

But that shithead Kony already started without us!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The response I got from telling a Ministry leader he has no evidence of God... TheLogicalAthiest 29 615 Today 01:40 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it? TheInquisition 77 1,143 Yesterday 08:55 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  My Buddhist Roommate Laid The Smackdown On A Christian Conservative Nut! WindyCityJazz 6 195 20-07-2014 11:00 AM
Last Post: therealJim
Thumbs Down Most Ridiculous Christian Warning I've Heard WindyCityJazz 21 468 13-07-2014 12:39 AM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  Christian Propaganda you were forced to watch as a kid Shadow Fox 35 538 04-07-2014 10:14 PM
Last Post: WhiskeyDebates
  Christian "Modesty Survey" Is Sexist, Ridiculous tinypepa 30 3,237 30-06-2014 08:13 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible Jeremy E Walker 183 3,091 24-06-2014 04:40 PM
Last Post: Anna