My first trip to the US!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Wink My first trip to the US!
In a little less than a month, I will be flying to Boston and I'm super crazy excited! Smile

My brother has been living there for the past year and a half and my mum thought it was about time we visited him and she asked me to come along (needless to say she practically paid for my tickets Blush )

I will stay for quite a long time (at least three weeks) and I'll be spending most of my time in Boston (my brother lives nearby) and I will also visit NYC for 3-4 days.

I never expected I'll be able to do this and I know nothing about Boston or New York so I'm all like
[Image: img_0094.jpg?w=500&h=282]

I'm sure my brother has some things in mind but whenever I ask him about the things I can do there he tells me "Whatever you want". I'm not planning to spend too much money, but I'm pretty much aiming for an "American experience". There must be literally thousands of things to do and see in those places, so I'm completely lost.

I would like to avoid too many museums and such, unless there's something extremely interesting. Other than that, I'm open to anything (I guess Unsure ).

So, any word of advice for someone who is visiting the US for the first time? Any interesting places and things you think I shouldn't miss? Any cool events taking place those days? Any websites on the subject that you trust? Anything is welcome Smile

OMFG I'M SO EXCITED

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like undergroundp's post
03-04-2015, 02:14 PM
RE: My first trip to the US!
(03-04-2015 02:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  In a little less than a month, I will be flying to Boston and I'm super crazy excited! Smile

My brother has been living there for the past year and a half and my mum thought it was about time we visited him and she asked me to come along (needless to say she practically paid for my tickets Blush )

I will stay for quite a long time (at least three weeks) and I'll be spending most of my time in Boston (my brother lives nearby) and I will also visit NYC for 3-4 days.

I never expected I'll be able to do this and I know nothing about Boston or New York so I'm all like

I'm sure my brother has some things in mind but whenever I ask him about the things I can do there he tells me "Whatever you want". I'm not planning to spend too much money, but I'm pretty much aiming for an "American experience". There must be literally thousands of things to do and see in those places, so I'm completely lost.

I would like to avoid too many museums and such, unless there's something extremely interesting. Other than that, I'm open to anything (I guess Unsure ).

So, any word of advice for someone who is visiting the US for the first time? Any interesting places and things you think I shouldn't miss? Any cool events taking place those days? Any websites on the subject that you trust? Anything is welcome Smile

OMFG I'M SO EXCITED

I live near Boston and would be happy to help. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2015, 02:34 PM
(03-04-2015 02:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  In a little less than a month, I will be flying to Boston and I'm super crazy excited! Smile

OMFG I'M SO EXCITED

YAY!!! Glad you're coming to the US! Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
03-04-2015, 02:43 PM
NYC: Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State Building ... get a couple of good tourist maps with suggestions and a good guide book... gear the sights to your interests. TONS of stuff to do and see in NYC at any hour - it is the city that never sleeps.

Boston: Same with the tourist maps... it's a very historic city with bunches of historic places. I've not really been to Boston so can't speak to personal preferences.

Very cool that you get the chance to step outside your comfort zone. Have a great adventure!! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-04-2015, 02:47 PM
How exciting - take pictures and keep us up to date. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Once you've been to NYC no other place will ever live up to it. Try to buy last minute tickets to a Broadway show, opera or play. Walk the streets, ride the subway, go eat in Chinatown and Little Italy, take the ferry to Staten Island and back for views of the city from the water, walk SoHo and enter every art gallery and bistro, go dancing to clubs at night...come to think of it 3 weeks isn't enough time Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
03-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Boston:
New England Aquarium
Faneuil Hall (pronounced fan-yul)
Old North Church
USS Constitution
There's a great view from the top of the Prudential Center

Nearby you have Salem, Plymouth, and Cape Cod

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
03-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Not trying to be a buzzkill, but I don't even know if I've ever experienced anything "touristy" in America that wowd me. But I'm generally not the type of person who finds one time experiences to be very meaningful. But thinking about visiting Japan, which is where I would like to visit, I would want to look up destinations that were very different from what I can do in America. Like go to a maid café (because I can hardly even believe those exist). I don't know what is in Greece, so I couldn't say how it is different from here.

Anyways, you are going to the opposite side of the country from me, so I can't extend an invite unfortunately! I do hope you enjoy your trip though.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
03-04-2015, 05:41 PM
I'd suggest visiting Walmart on a Saturday afternoon.

That way you'll get the jokes we make about the people who shop there. Big Grin

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 9 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
(03-04-2015 04:29 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Boston:
New England Aquarium
Faneuil Hall (pronounced fan-yul)
Old North Church
USS Constitution
There's a great view from the top of the Prudential Center

Nearby you have Salem, Plymouth, and Cape Cod

Science Museum
Museum of Fine Arts
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
The Louis Agassiz Museum of Comparative Zoology
Peabody Essex Museum
Harvard Museum of Natural History
Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art
Fruitlands Museums (in my town)

PM me if you want to talk about the sights and stuff.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post