My first trip to the US!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2015, 02:24 AM
RE: My first trip to the US!
(29-04-2015 07:34 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  So, I'm finally on American soil.
I'm still kind of like

But I'm slowly realizing it.

WHY IS EVERYTHING WEIRD HERE.

I... spent years in Germany away from the United States. I was young when we left, so I never got the chance to really understand just how stupid and weird the U.S is. But when I came from Germany to the U.S, I finally understood. I felt genuine culture shock for the first time, and boy was it fucking annoying. All the adverts, the shitty air, and worst of all... AMERICANS. EVERYWHERE.

I yearn for a more progressive alternative. Ugh.

Get out of here while you have the chance, UP. Before you get stuck here like the rest of us.

Sad

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
02-05-2015, 02:33 AM
(02-05-2015 02:24 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 07:34 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  So, I'm finally on American soil.
I'm still kind of like

But I'm slowly realizing it.

WHY IS EVERYTHING WEIRD HERE.

I... spent years in Germany away from the United States. I was young when we left, so I never got the chance to really understand just how stupid and weird the U.S is. But when I came from Germany to the U.S, I finally understood. I felt genuine culture shock for the first time, and boy was it fucking annoying. All the adverts, the shitty air, and worst of all... AMERICANS. EVERYWHERE.

I yearn for a more progressive alternative. Ugh.

Get out of here while you have the chance, UP. Before you get stuck here like the rest of us.

Sad

To be fair, the country is massive. While I try to avoid states where the road signs regularly have bullet holes in them, remember that even important members of our community are from fly-over states and those south of the Mason Dixie line; such as Aron Ra from Texas and our own Seth Andrews from Oklahoma. The north east is relatively more progressive and more in line with mainland Europe, which is a almost a world apart from the rural areas of southern states.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
02-05-2015, 02:45 AM
(02-05-2015 02:33 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  To be fair, the country is massive. While I try to avoid states where the road signs regularly have bullet holes in them, remember that even important members of our community are from fly-over states and those south of the Mason Dixie line; such as Aron Ra from Texas and our own Seth Andrews from Oklahoma. The north east is relatively more progressive and more in line with mainland Europe, which is a almost a world apart from the rural areas of southern states.

It's unfortunate that the few of us with functional neocortex are surrounded by this massive country. It's like a prison, which makes sense when you look at the incarceration rates.

02-05-2015, 02:53 AM
(02-05-2015 02:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It's unfortunate that the few of us with functional neocortex are surrounded by this massive country. It's like a prison, which makes sense when you look at the incarceration rates.

[Image: 8f3c61966875688f5637551635db557864731a3b...90103e.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Hayden Planetarium, Neil Degrasse Tyson works there.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
02-05-2015, 05:48 AM
Huh. I've never noticed the air smelling bad unless downwind of a chicken house or they've just fertilized the fields. Usually just smells like sweet flowers, fresh cut grass, pine, or rain.

I'm sure I'd have culture shock if I ever visited the Northeast or West Coast, much less Europe. The people in Chicago certainly put me on edge when I visit. I don't like the abrupt, cold indifference - it's considered rude to behave that way in my region, and there it's the norm. Whereas I tend to annoy the hell out of a lot of northerners.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
02-05-2015, 12:02 PM
(02-05-2015 05:48 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Huh. I've never noticed the air smelling bad unless downwind of a chicken house or they've just fertilized the fields. Usually just smells like sweet flowers, fresh cut grass, pine, or rain.

It's not that it smells bad, though it does sometimes. In German cities, I never had issues with the air quality. Berlin, Trier, Munich, Frankfurt, etc. It wasn't a noticeable difference in air quality. Paris was probably the worst in my experience. Within a week my throat was the scratchiest it had ever been. But when I arrived in the U.S, the only place where the air didn't feel so heavy and musty was in Portland, Oregon. Everywhere else, including the sticks in Missouri, just felt so heavy and filthy. Maybe it's just me, as Germany does have a lot of industry. But, eh, I don't know.

07-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Leaving for New York today. I haven't been following conversations in the forum much as I've hardly had any time to do so.

Getting close to having nothing else to do in Boston and I still got two weeks to go.

Do you guys get dizzy because of the huge amount of stuff there is in super markets here or is it just me? Also, why is everything huge?

I've got a car to use here now which is fun, but I don't know where to go. Boston has been somewhat unspectacular to be honest, but that could be due to:
-The fact that people are generally closed up in their homes.
-The fact that going downtown is kind of a discomfort.
-The fact that I haven't been sleeping well and I'm constantly tired (still jet lagged perhaps?)
-The fact that I feel lonely without my boyfriend.

I'm expecting to be impressed today though. I mean, it's New York, right?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
07-05-2015, 09:57 AM
If you enjoy museums, good cuisine, live theater and endless shopping options, NYC can be a joy. Central park is rather peaceful too. I may be slightly bias, since its my hometown, but you can never truly run out of things to do there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2015, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 10:29 AM by kim.)
Yep. America is BIG. And NYC pretty much has it all.

Central Park... when you need to just get the head together and see some land, trees, & sky.

Supermarkets... YES! They suck. I also experience horrific culture shock seeing TOO FUCKING MUCH! Now you see how Americans take so much for granted... forgive us, so few of us know anything other. Undecided Interestingly, NYC is a bit more cozy when it comes to neighborhood stores & markets.

The Guggenheim is a comfortable stroll -if you want only one museum, that would be it. It's like walking inside a sculpture... created by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Top of the Empire State Building- best view in town.

I haven't been but, I hear the Trade Center Memorial is beautiful. You'll get an idea of how giant those towers were ... each one had it's own zipcode.

Times Square - someone's bound to take your photo there.

Have Fun! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post