My first trip to the US!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
RE: My first trip to the US!
Well I'm not remotely close to NY or Boston but if there was one thing I could do it would be visit the USS Constitution (someone already mentioned it), "world's oldest commissioned naval vessel afloat", 221 years old.

Not sure what else would be uniquely American AND interesting for a foreigner... the Guggenheim sounds like a good idea though, or MOMA? Don't forget the FOOD. Definitely try seek out some of NYC's more unique culinary options, like a Manhattan pizza or the world famous Cronut if you get a chance.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 05:13 PM
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Leaving for New York today. Getting close to having nothing else to do in Boston and I still got two weeks to go.

I've got a car to use here now which is fun, but I don't know where to go.

I'm expecting to be impressed today though. I mean, it's New York, right?

Well a skyscraper is just another tall building, in a long line of tall buildings, if all you're going to do is stare at it while you drive by in your car! Tongue
Kim's post has some great stuff in it, and you can always google/telephone an operator for a tourist guide! Thumbsup
Don't know about you, but I like walking around places, so I'd pick Time Square, or Central Park, and I'm sure there's some great shopping centers there to wander around in! Shy
You probably haven't seen the movie Big, but maybe you could find a FAO Schwarz with a giant electronic floor piano in it to dance on! Laugh out load

07-05-2015, 06:39 PM
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Getting close to having nothing else to do in Boston and I still got two weeks to go.

Come down to Attleboro, I'll give ya something to do.
[Image: 200.gif]

Big Grin

(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Also, why is everything huge?

'Cause MURICA!!!!

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-05-2015, 08:20 PM
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Do you guys get dizzy because of the huge amount of stuff there is in super markets here or is it just me?

It's insane. You go into a supermarket and there are on average (by my guess-tamation) ten different brands of the exact same item.
Blows my mind too, and I've lived here all my life.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
07-05-2015, 09:25 PM
(07-05-2015 08:20 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Do you guys get dizzy because of the huge amount of stuff there is in super markets here or is it just me?

It's insane. You go into a supermarket and there are on average (by my guess-tamation) ten different brands of the exact same item.

Yabut...it gives you options. I can compare the nutrition content of two similar items and pick the one with more dietary fiber/more protein/less fat...or if they're similar the cheaper one or local. Or if I'm broke that week the cheaper one anyway. Maybe I'm using my juicer and I want organic apples, cucumbers, limes, pears, and kale. Or maybe if I'm making punch the store brand ginger ale will work just fine, but if I've been throwing up I want a specific brand of ginger ale and saltines. And don't tell me that Dr. Pepper and Dr. Thunder taste the same - but if I'm bringing it for a potluck, you bet I'm bringing the cheap shit.

And this is why it takes me an hour and a half to grocery shop.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
08-05-2015, 06:44 AM
(07-05-2015 08:20 PM)Russ Wrote:  

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
08-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I've always wondered why LA is never on the list of US places foreigners come to visit.

We've got food, booze, culture, fun, the freakin' movie industry by the balls, and Spring weather 100% better than any NE state.

It's because we're the "South", right?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-05-2015, 10:48 AM
(08-05-2015 09:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've always wondered why LA is never on the list of US places foreigners come to visit.

We've got food, booze, culture, fun, the freakin' movie industry by the balls, and Spring weather 100% better than any NE state.

Can I add a few to your list?

southern hospitality - locals are super friendly.

There's ALWAYS a festival going on in NOLA.

Live oaks with Spanish moss.

Vampires

And OH MY GOD THE MUSIC.

First time I visited NOLA I got taken off guard by the Red Dress Run - there were sooooo many men in red dresses racing through the Quarter. It. Was. Awesome. The running club that sponsors it has a slogan "a drinking club with a running problem." Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
(08-05-2015 09:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've always wondered why LA is never on the list of US places foreigners come to visit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-05-2015, 11:03 AM

I havent been to LA, but the things that pop into my head are
- hot & humid
- loads of alcohol
- poverty & crime due to loads of alcohol
- swamp= mosquitos
- refineries and chemical plants.

I like drinking alcohol but I dont like hanging out where others are shitfaced and turning to crime.

was my assessment correct? or no?

People come to SC for one of the following
- golf
- beach
- just passing thru to FL.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post