My friend is brainwashed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 03:21 PM
My friend is brainwashed
She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

I think it's all a load of baloney.

Ugh. -.- It hurts to hear my friend explaining all this crap to me. She's becoming a super strict Adventist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2016, 03:24 PM
RE: My friend is brainwashed
(I'm thinking I should have put this into personal issues and support. Move this thread if it needs to be.)
24-04-2016, 03:54 PM
It's fcked up what religion can lead one to think.

Ask her opinion on the credibility of basing her life from a single source that is the epitome of circular reasoning (bible), whilst discouraging research elsewhere.

IDK, I'm not too sure how to help people think.

Hopefully someone else has better advice.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
24-04-2016, 04:08 PM
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

Ugh. -.- It hurts to hear my friend explaining all this crap to me. She's becoming a super strict Adventist.

Have her committed for psychiatric observation. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2016, 04:15 PM
(24-04-2016 04:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Have her committed for psychiatric observation. Drinking Beverage

Nah, just tell her to relax. That train already left the station and she missed the Koolaid. Jim Jones was right along, we're all just sinners in oblivion at this point, no need to dress funny. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-04-2016, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2016 06:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

There is not a shred of evidence for any of that nonsense.
Human populations were NEVER before in history what they are now.
No population scientist or archaeologist (NOT ONE) agrees with her delusions.

1. There was no flood. The flood myth was taken from here : (remarkably similar)
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso.../tab11.htm )

This is why it could NOT have happened :
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674871
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid760064

2. The concept of "sexual orientation" did not arise is the history of human ideas until the later half of the 19th Century. Before that alternate orientations were not even recognized ... everyone was assumed to be straight.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid117446

It is all baloney.
It's nice to be armed with information about why it IS all just crap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-04-2016, 06:04 PM
My friend is brainwashed
God is so curious about where people put their genitals. Why did he make the penis and vagina anyway? It could have been so much simpler.
24-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Similar expectations about the imminent end of the world were all the rage when I was a teenager, which was in the 1970s. People have been expecting the end of the world within their lifetimes for at least 2000 years. It can be argued that Jesus, if he was a historical figure, also believed something like that.

Eventually you and your friend will look back on this, 60 years lager, and--I hope--both of you will say, "wasn't that stupid?"
24-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I think this is the point where I would part ways with this friend. For my own safety. Or take her out before she takes me out.
24-04-2016, 08:06 PM
People like this are just lacking an importance to their lives, they need to feel they know more than the average person, that they understand more. As an atheist I can relate to this to a point. They're the same as conspiracy theorists who just know 9/11 was an inside job and the Free Masons and Illuminati are controlling everything. If they don't know more than you do about world events they lack purpose.

It's sad but mostly they're not evil or bad but they may be emotionally unbalanced and actually suffering from paranoia or even narcissism. The other posters who said your friend needs help are correct, these feelings of anxiety of an impending disaster or delusions of events occurring now are signs of neurosis or outright psychosis. If they don't get help they might be just fine but they may end up hurting themselves or others. Your friend may be fine but seriously people who have the religion aspect could find a group of enablers who agree with them, then they may be lost forever.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]