My friend is brainwashed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 08:40 PM
RE: My friend is brainwashed
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

I think it's all a load of baloney.

Ugh. -.- It hurts to hear my friend explaining all this crap to me. She's becoming a super strict Adventist.

I'd make a bet with her that JC won't be showing up in the next 5 years but I doubt that will sway her. I doubt that any amount of reasoning will get through to her. Invite her to drop in for a chat if you think it will help but I have my doubts.

The whole flood nonsense always makes me shake my head. Regardless of the reasons it requires a God too incompetent to get rid of the sinners with anything short of drowning the whole bloody planet, kittens and all.

[Image: dcdc424e6aa718b9b0805ad666ca9097.jpg]

[Image: God-kills-kitten.jpg]

[Image: kitten_and_god.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2016, 01:11 PM
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

Ugh. -.- It hurts to hear my friend explaining all this crap to me. She's becoming a super strict Adventist.

It's really interesting, I was raised as a 7th day adventist and never heard those crazy claims. And i've been studying adventist beliefs for a long time. there's a lot of crazy people out there, i have fundamentalists adventists friends, also liberal ones and "regulars" and never heard one of the making those claims.

Well, in 5 years she'll realize that god wont come and it's gonna be 1844 all over again. The problem with these kind of people is that you can't have a decent, intelligent conversation with them.

Two days ago I was arguing with my adventists friends about radiometric dating and one of them said: "They (geologists) say that radiometric dating is evidence for an old earth, but the bible says the contrary so scientist are wrong". At that moment I decided not to continue arguing, it was a waste of time.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
25-04-2016, 02:00 PM
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood.

Wait... She believes that the world used to have over seven billion people in it a few thousand years ago?

How long ago does she think the flood happened, and how old does the think the world was when the flood happened? If she can give you even a rough estimate of those times (lets say "five thousand years ago" and "one or two thousand years old", respectively), that shit is super easy to debunk.
25-04-2016, 02:36 PM
(25-04-2016 01:11 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  

It's really interesting, I was raised as a 7th day adventist and never heard those crazy claims. And i've been studying adventist beliefs for a long time. there's a lot of crazy people out there, i have fundamentalists adventists friends, also liberal ones and "regulars" and never heard one of the making those claims.

Well, in 5 years she'll realize that god wont come and it's gonna be 1844 all over again. The problem with these kind of people is that you can't have a decent, intelligent conversation with them.

Two days ago I was arguing with my adventists friends about radiometric dating and one of them said: "They (geologists) say that radiometric dating is evidence for an old earth, but the bible says the contrary so scientist are wrong". At that moment I decided not to continue arguing, it was a waste of time.

Sweet. I'm also a former Adventist.

I wasn't taught this stuff in such as extreme way. I don't know who she heard it from. I was taught that the papacy is the anti Christ though. Only the really strict Adventists wore dresses all the time.

I wasn't taught the stuff abo it the population or the flood having anything to do with orientation. Though, I was taught that the last days would be like the days of Noah pr whatever. She was saying that the world right now is the same. As an Adventist, I was always taught "Jesus is coming soon!" And they meant really soon. What my friend believes is just a more extreme version of it.

I hope I was able to clear some things up.
25-04-2016, 02:40 PM
(25-04-2016 02:00 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood.

Wait... She believes that the world used to have over seven billion people in it a few thousand years ago?

How long ago does she think the flood happened, and how old does the think the world was when the flood happened? If she can give you even a rough estimate of those times (lets say "five thousand years ago" and "one or two thousand years old", respectively), that shit is super easy to debunk.

She probably believes in young earth creationism like I used to. Yeah, it really doesn't make sense.
25-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Oh boy. I just got off the phone with her.
-She said that people (other Christians) are ridiculing her for saying that Jesus will come in the next 5 years. She even told me that they're asking her for evidence. Then, when she gives them the "evidence," they say it doesn't mean anything.
-She said that Ellen White is prophesied in the Bible. She really isn't. She said she's gonna show me the verses later since she was driving. (At least she said she was)
-I tried to reason with her and tell her that there's not enough time between Adam and Noah to have 7 billion people. (They must have had baby factories or something.)
-She would tell me "I can't help what the Bible/Spirit of prophecy says."

*sigh* I feel so bad for her. She's swayed so easily. This whole 5 year thing will be another 1844 like Seeking_Truth said.
25-04-2016, 03:39 PM
(25-04-2016 03:12 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Oh boy. I just got off the phone with her.
-She said that people (other Christians) are ridiculing her for saying that Jesus will come in the next 5 years. She even told me that they're asking her for evidence. Then, when she gives them the "evidence," they say it doesn't mean anything.
-She said that Ellen White is prophesied in the Bible. She really isn't. She said she's gonna show me the verses later since she was driving. (At least she said she was)
-I tried to reason with her and tell her that there's not enough time between Adam and Noah to have 7 billion people. (They must have had baby factories or something.)

*sigh* I feel so bad for her. She's swayed so easily. This whole 5 year thing will be another 1844 like Seeking_Truth said.

I'm sorry for your friend, but she's too deluded. Anything you say will not make an impact on her actual beliefs. Unfortunately she will see reality 5 years from now. Is that or she will make up another story as adventists did back in 1844.

Have tried using Matthew 24:36? maybe it can help. I was also told that the end of times is really close, 25 years and still in the same status. But if you say something they cite 2 Peter 3:9 (ignoring the fact that peter never wrote a letter because he didn't know how write).

The problem with Jesus prophesy about the end of times is that is too vague and inespecific. Matthew 24:6-8 "6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains." I mean, humanity has always been in conflict with each other, nothing specific. Famine? through various periods of time there has been famine in diferent places, so is too inespecific. Earthquakes in various places, seriously? Facepalm this is also a really vague one, because of tectonic plaques earthquakes are going to happen all the time!! Exactly when, how big are they going to be is not specified.

At least she's aware that texting and driving is not a good idea.

And i wont rely on Ellen White, she was really wrong in different things, it's just that adventists like to lick her ass so much that don't even try to question her writings. Or sometimes they edit her writings when she makes racists comentaries but the church try to justify what she said, but it still racist.

I'm glad to know that i'm not the only former adventist around here. I still go to church though (i'm an undercover atheist), but I will get the courague to finally present myself as an atheist.

25-04-2016, 03:40 PM
(25-04-2016 03:12 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Oh boy. I just got off the phone with her.

I'm sorry for your friend, but she's too deluded. Anything you say will not make an impact on her actual beliefs. Unfortunately she will see reality 5 years from now. Is that or she will make up another story as adventists did back in 1844.

Have tried using Matthew 24:36? maybe it can help. I was also told that the end of times is really close, 25 years and still in the same status. But if you say something they cite 2 Peter 3:9 (ignoring the fact that peter never wrote a letter because he didn't know how to write).

The problem with Jesus prophesy about the end of times is that is too vague and inespecific. Matthew 24:6-8 "6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains." I mean, humanity has always been in conflict with each other, nothing specific. Famine? through various periods of time there has been famine in diferent places, so is too inespecific. Earthquakes in various places, seriously? Facepalm this is also a really vague one, because of tectonic plaques earthquakes are going to happen all the time!! Exactly when, how big are they going to be is not specified.

And i wont rely on Ellen White, she was really wrong in different things, it's just that adventists like to lick her ass so much that don't even try to question her writings. Or sometimes they edit her writings when she makes racists comentaries but the church try to justify what she said, but it still racist.

I'm glad to know that i'm not the only former adventist around here. I still go to church though (i'm an undercover atheist), but I will get the courague to finally present myself as an atheist.

25-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Ask here about this failed "prophecy"...

Matthew 24:34 —Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Cheesus asserts that all the signs marking the end of the world in Matthew 24 would be fulfilled before his generation ended. That generation ended 2,000 years ago, and the world has not come to an end, and neither have all those signs been fulfilled.

There are of course dozens more of these sorts of unfulfilled biblical "prophecies" but if she apparently avoids discussing any of them with you rationally, then it's gonna be very difficult for you to maintain any sort of meaningful friendship. Might be time to move on?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-04-2016, 04:48 PM
(25-04-2016 03:39 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  

Have tried using Matthew 24:36? maybe it can help. I was also told that the end of times is really close, 25 years and still in the same status. But if you say something they cite 2 Peter 3:9 (ignoring the fact that peter never wrote a letter because he didn't know how write).

Based on past times when similar things occured, she may have a crisis when it's over. I hope she changes her mind on the 5 years thing before then.

I've noticed how vague that prophecy is, too. The part that bugs me the most is "earthquakes in diverse places." Seriously? Diverse places? Couldn't they be more specific? Now, people are thinking every war and every major earthquake means Jesus is coming.

Yeah. I've read some of the racist stuff, too. Adventists will make excuses for her. Though, she said that her writings were inspired by God or whatever. Did god want her to write racist and contradicting stuff?

I still have to go to church as well. I'm another undercover atheist. I also go to an academy. It's really crazy. It gets easier as time goes on. It's still scary in Bible class sometimes. I survive, though. x.x Drinking Beverage