My friend is brainwashed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2016, 04:55 PM
RE: My friend is brainwashed
(25-04-2016 04:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Ask here about this failed "prophecy"...

Matthew 24:34 —Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Cheesus asserts that all the signs marking the end of the world in Matthew 24 would be fulfilled before his generation ended. That generation ended 2,000 years ago, and the world has not come to an end, and neither have all those signs been fulfilled.

There are of course dozens more of these sorts of unfulfilled biblical "prophecies" but if she apparently avoids discussing any of them with you rationally, then it's gonna be very difficult for you to maintain any sort of meaningful friendship. Might be time to move on?

Wow. I don't know how I missed that one. It's totally a failed prophecy. I even looked at the context.

It might be time to move on. At leat from this topic of discussion. I know I can't make her change her mind and she has been using faulty logic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2016, 05:08 PM
So she called me back and we were talking about prophets and stuff. I was trying to explain stuff to her and reason with her. She's trying to prove to me that Ellen White is a real prophet when I know for a fact that she's not. Here I am, explaining why I don't think Ellen White was a true prophet and then she tells me that I still have my ADVENTIST bible teacher's thinking. And then she hung up on me. What the fuck.
25-04-2016, 05:13 PM
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

I think it's all a load of baloney.

Ugh. -.- It hurts to hear my friend explaining all this crap to me. She's becoming a super strict Adventist.

Yes it does hurt when a close person goes off the deep end. My sister was horrified when I brought to her home a woman who showed cleavage in the way she dressed. A lot of cleavage. My sister a dress dragging the ground Adventist says she wouldn't be showing it if it is not for sale. I asked her if her head was for sale,because she was showing it! Sister, self and the friend were all in our fifties at that time!
25-04-2016, 05:17 PM
(25-04-2016 04:55 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 04:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Ask here about this failed "prophecy"...

Matthew 24:34 —Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Cheesus asserts that all the signs marking the end of the world in Matthew 24 would be fulfilled before his generation ended. That generation ended 2,000 years ago, and the world has not come to an end, and neither have all those signs been fulfilled.

There are of course dozens more of these sorts of unfulfilled biblical "prophecies" but if she apparently avoids discussing any of them with you rationally, then it's gonna be very difficult for you to maintain any sort of meaningful friendship. Might be time to move on?

Wow. I don't know how I missed that one. It's totally a failed prophecy. I even looked at the context.

It might be time to move on. At leat from this topic of discussion. I know I can't make her change her mind and she has been using faulty logic.

But Mrs White made the same prophecy. At some Adventist gathering 140 or so years ago she made the statement that God had showed her that there were people in that group who would still be alive when God Jr slid down out of the clouds. I couldn't possibly loo up where that was made, but have had it read to me. It has been proven that a lot of her work was plagiarized. Her defenders fight back by saying that it was less than 40 per cent!
25-04-2016, 05:22 PM
In 1961 I started out in an Adventist Academy (boarding high school) The spring Week of Prayer was headlined by a popular preacher who has since died, but he told us that he had word form God that our freshman class would never graduate from high school, because Jesus would be back before that time came! We kids joked among ourselves "why even go to school then?"
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
25-04-2016, 06:05 PM
She needs professional help. Delusions that severe are dangerous.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-04-2016, 06:55 AM
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She keeps telling me that Jeus will come in the next 5 years, that the current pope is the antichrist, and all that. That the world has the same amount of people that it did during before the flood. Also that God killed them because they were "homosexual, and bisexual, and transsexual."

She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

Ugh. -.- It hurts to hear my friend explaining all this crap to me. She's becoming a super strict Adventist.

From the religion that brought us The Great Disappointment, amazing that anyone would allow themselves to believe this stuff.

As loony as it is, it still isn't as crazy as Scientology and people believe that. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-04-2016, 07:20 AM

Did this dramatic turn in her life correspond to any particular life event?

I'm assuming she was a more marginal adventist previously, but now finds herself more heavily devoted to it, and I was curious if something happened in her life that might have caused this turn.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-04-2016, 07:29 AM
(24-04-2016 03:21 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  She's also getting long dresses and things so she can follow "Bible principles."

Tell her that you find women in long dresses particularly sexy.
26-04-2016, 09:59 AM
(26-04-2016 07:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Did this dramatic turn in her life correspond to any particular life event?

I'm assuming she was a more marginal adventist previously, but now finds herself more heavily devoted to it, and I was curious if something happened in her life that might have caused this turn.

Yeah. She heard a guy speak about this stuff. I think he went to her church of something. It was a seminar that happened on the weekend (Friday through Sunday I think).