My friend is brilliant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
My friend is brilliant
I just learned that she too is atheist. No one else knows. We got to talking about how people have the audacity to start talking about Gawd and Christianity, without invitation to do so. She started laughing. "I tell them I am horribly confused about this and have to sort it out on my own" That's brilliant because it's a signal to them to shut up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Takelababy's post
06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
RE: My friend is brilliant
Someone needs to write a book so that atheists (or at least free thinkers about religion) can figure out how to spot each other in social situations.

There has to be a series of simple non-religion related questions that people could try to talk about that would get you a good idea of what other persons cores beliefs and thinking flexibility are without 'letting hte cat out of the bag' so to speak.
[+] 1 user Likes Sceadwian's post
06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Good. Now we know our secret community has another potential agent.

Want something? Then do something.
06-03-2014, 08:10 PM
We need a secret hand shake or something..
06-03-2014, 08:23 PM

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
06-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Is it just anecdotal or are women/girls deconverting at a pleasantly alarming rate. Out of the last 6 Atheists I've meet in person, only 1 was male.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
07-03-2014, 12:10 AM
(06-03-2014 08:35 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Is it just anecdotal or are women/girls deconverting at a pleasantly alarming rate. Out of the last 6 Atheists I've meet in person, only 1 was male.

Well, when the Abrahamic god and the religions built off of his concept are overwhelmingly misogynistic...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-03-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm for the secret handshake like the handshake shown by evenheathen on post #5. You think rhythm is a requirement?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
07-03-2014, 01:38 AM
(06-03-2014 04:01 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  Someone needs to write a book so that atheists (or at least free thinkers about religion) can figure out how to spot each other in social situations.

There has to be a series of simple non-religion related questions that people could try to talk about that would get you a good idea of what other persons cores beliefs and thinking flexibility are without 'letting hte cat out of the bag' so to speak.

Well it's really very simple. We all just need to harden the fuck up, realize that speaking out takes moral precedence over whatever social issues we're afraid of (including family reaction and job security) and be vocal about our non-belief. Not a single one of my friends or coworkers is unaware that I'm an atheist. Sure, I've lost some because of it. But the others have gravitated toward me, and some have even expressed gratitude that I was conspicuous because it let them know where they can go for support.

There's no need to have code words or secret handshakes or any of that bullshit. All it takes is the realization that it's perfectly fucking ok to be an atheist, and to embrace that fact.

We're here, and we don't believe in your god. Deal with it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2014, 07:10 AM
(06-03-2014 08:10 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  We need a secret hand shake or something..

Are we all going to start drawing our own Jesus-fish symbols (Ichthys) in the sand, now? How ironic that would be. I suppose we could just draw the fish and add feet to it...

[Image: Ichthys.png]

[Image: darwin-fish.jpg]

(Personally, I prefer the image without the word inside of it, but whatever.)
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post