My friend on Mental Disorders

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-04-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: My friend on Mental Disorders
(04-04-2017 06:33 PM)Vera Wrote:  I really feel your pain and share your annoyment (more than annoyment, really). I've ranted about OCD before and people using the term willy-nilly (esp. in the incarnation "I am OCD". No, you fucking ain't! Does anyone say "I'm cancer" or "I'm depression"?! OCD is the name of the disease, you ignorant fool. But that's a side issue).

OCD might not be schizophrenia, but it's a nasty little thing (not so little in those who have it really bad) and it can - and does - wreak havoc with your brain (and life) all on its own, even without the various comorbidities.

That guy was not only a jerk, but an ignorant one, who thinks OCD is a minor character trait that makes you tidy up and wash your hands a lot, and worry about leaving the stove on, and I am sick and tired of this. How exactly did OCD become this cartoon version of itself?!

The excellent British documentary programme Horizon has an episode on OCD. Isn't perfect, but is still interesting.

Good luck, man, it might never go away, but you'll get better at handling it (and yeah, there *is* a lot to handle, I know). I've overcome several compulsions all on my own (wasn't easy but I did it). The thoughts and general tendency of my brain to latch onto a problem (if there isn't one, to invent) and then blow it out of all proportion and obsess about it incessantly are not so easy to deal with. But I don't know have nearly as bad as others, really.

I rather like this piece, which pokes fun (not so gently at all) at all those who think OCD is a cute little quirk, the type the heroine in an romcom will have (and yeah, I was once told that since I don't like to tidy up my things, I don't have OCD. Of course, the guy who said it was a grade-A idiot, possibly the stupidest person I've ever met, or at least one of them (I've met quite a few really dumb people, sadly)...)

Experts across the country are warning that America is in the throes of a new mental health epidemic. Over the past decade, psychologists have reported record numbers of those who suffer from being, like, suuuuper OCD – and the figures are only getting worse.

“Super OCD” is not to be confused with textbook obsessive compulsive disorder, which can be characterized by unwanted compulsive rituals and disturbing intrusive thoughts that detract from one’s quality of life. Rather, those who are super OCD report experiencing symptoms that include adherence to conventions of basic human hygiene and really liking their pencils to be sharp.

“It’s a nightmare,” said Amy Smith, whose harrowing journey to acceptance began when she took an online quiz that one time which gauged her reaction to disturbing images like crooked pictures and floor tiles that don’t match up.

“When I see something that is uneven, it kind of bugs me. Almost no one else feels this way; I am very unique,” Smith confessed. “I’m able to forget about the uneven thing as soon as I look away, but for those few seconds the mild displeasure is overwhelming.”

Jane Lee first suspected she was super OCD after she spent a leisurely afternoon alphabetizing her collection of cookbooks. Her fears were confirmed when a co-worker wore mismatched socks to the office and she felt compelled to look away.

“I’ll be out with friends and everything is going fine, and then something will happen – someone will drop a slice or pizza or spill wine down my shirt, so I’ll say ‘better clean that up.’ And everyone will just go silent,” Lee said. “It’s like the elephant in the room.”

Lee experienced the stigma associated with the illness firsthand when her cousin Jen, who has conventional obsessive compulsive disorder, suggested that Lee was not, in fact, super OCD.

“For some people mental illness means debilitating panic attacks and uncontrollable, repetitive actions, and for others it means preferring your jackets face the same way in your closet,” Lee said. “It’s a spectrum.”

Psychiatrist Dr. Frank Black studies the disorder and deems himself a pioneer in the field. According to Black, super OCD is still considered a fringe issue, with many health professionals unwilling to classify it as “something that exists.”

“Some of my colleagues would define mental illness as that which ‘interferes with people’s lives,’ but I think that’s a narrow-minded way of looking at things,” he said. “I had this one patient who would sometimes double-check that he’d locked his car. The seconds it took for him to do that are seconds he’ll never get back.”

Black has dedicated his career to developing treatment strategies for patients like Amy and Jane, and he hopes other brave sufferers will continue to come out of their immaculate closets and seek the therapy they need.

“If I can help even one person hang their blue sweaters next to their red sweaters, I know I’ll have done my job.”

Bowing Laugh out load

That's amazing!

My mother would often tell people that I had OCD and they would say "me too! I always double check for cars while driving" or something similar (to be fair my mother really didn't know what OCD was either so she smiled and agreed.) It's really hard not to roll your eyes or lose respect for the person because, like Leerob, said it's commonplace to lump it in with what it is thought to be currently.

I don't even know why it's a cartoon of itself or why it's considered to be a cute quirky thing by some.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
04-04-2017, 06:57 PM
(04-04-2017 06:32 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 06:19 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I recieved a diagnosis when I was 15 years old after a few years of dealing with the symptoms solo.

I know it sounds childish but I'm 23 (almost 24...) and I still have no idea how not to take stuff like that seriously... I know I probably care too much and that he is ignorant but I dunno. I need to man up a little, I suppose. XD

Some of it is self confidence and not giving a flying fuck what others think - therapy will help with that Smile I certainly didn't have that mastered at 23. I'm nearly 32 and a heavy handed dose of life drama and bitterness from nursing burnout has certainly helped me in that arena.

FWIW, I have ADHD and am making it to the other side of a major depressive episode - some people think I'm just air headed or drug seeking and need to "get over" being sad.

The friend is ignorant and/or a cunt.

I assume he's ignorant. He's not a bad guy and really cares about my husband (the bromance is strong between those two.) It's why it was a big slap in the face when he said what he did...

That really sucks! My husband's little brother has ADHD and I've helped work with him with school when he was struggling a while back. It looks so hard for him, I can imagine how much of an upward struggle it is to try and get on track with stuff.
04-04-2017, 07:00 PM
(04-04-2017 06:33 PM)julep Wrote:  I don't see you as a complainer. Hug

As for your husband's friend, it's hurtful to hear somebody minimizing your struggle. He sounds like someone without much empathy, but maybe he's just stupid and hasn't experienced much. Maybe he'll change his opinion over time.

It's probably an attitude you'll run into more, though. Know that there are some people who'll never understand, for various reasons; know also that not everyone is worth convincing. Save your energy for people who count, the therapy that will help, and the things you want to do.

(writing this in April, the month where I'm going to read innumerable comments around the internet about how there's no such thing as autism, it's just bad parenting--my son is autistic--I know that the willful ignorance on display will make me feel crazy-mad, if I let it, and that will get in the way of doing the things I want to do.)

Thank you. Hug

There are autism deniers?? That's seriously new news to me. Most of what I hear about autism is vaccination based. That's really messed up! I'm sorry you have to go through that. I hope your little guy is doing okay.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
04-04-2017, 07:15 PM
I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have OCD. I'm always messing with my hair, it bugs me if it's messed up, it bugs me if I touch something dirty, I HAVE to wash my hands if they feel 'dirty.' I have a number of odd habits.

It's annoying and probably makes people think I'm weird. I hate to think people don't take it seriously or think it's worth complaining over. Mental health needs to be treated with far more consideration than it is.

This friend ought to educate himself.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
04-04-2017, 07:24 PM
I feel sorry for your husband's friend. They don't have a pill for raging ignorance, though a talented proctologist might be able to help get his head out of his ass.

I have a close friend who suffers from OCD and have some idea of how difficult it can make it to lead a normal life.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
04-04-2017, 07:30 PM
(04-04-2017 07:15 PM)Loom Wrote:  I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have OCD. I'm always messing with my hair, it bugs me if it's messed up, it bugs me if I touch something dirty, I HAVE to wash my hands if they feel 'dirty.' I have a number of odd habits.

It's annoying and probably makes people think I'm weird. I hate to think people don't take it seriously or think it's worth complaining over. Mental health needs to be treated with far more consideration than it is.

This friend ought to educate himself.

If you have the means to you should speak to a therapist about any concerns about your mental health. Everyone needs to give themselves a check up sometimes. Smile
I'm not a doctor so I cannot say if you are doing compulsions... If you feel like things are starting to seriously negatively impact your life then help yourself and don't wait.
04-04-2017, 07:31 PM
(04-04-2017 07:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I feel sorry for your husband's friend. They don't have a pill for raging ignorance, though a talented proctologist might be able to help get his head out of his ass.

I have a close friend who suffers from OCD and have some idea of how difficult it can make it to lead a normal life.

Laughat That's a good one. Laugh out load
05-04-2017, 04:28 AM
(04-04-2017 07:00 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 06:33 PM)julep Wrote:  I don't see you as a complainer. Hug

As for your husband's friend, it's hurtful to hear somebody minimizing your struggle. He sounds like someone without much empathy, but maybe he's just stupid and hasn't experienced much. Maybe he'll change his opinion over time.

It's probably an attitude you'll run into more, though. Know that there are some people who'll never understand, for various reasons; know also that not everyone is worth convincing. Save your energy for people who count, the therapy that will help, and the things you want to do.

(writing this in April, the month where I'm going to read innumerable comments around the internet about how there's no such thing as autism, it's just bad parenting--my son is autistic--I know that the willful ignorance on display will make me feel crazy-mad, if I let it, and that will get in the way of doing the things I want to do.)

Thank you. Hug

There are autism deniers?? That's seriously new news to me. Most of what I hear about autism is vaccination based. That's really messed up! I'm sorry you have to go through that. I hope your little guy is doing okay.

There are quite a few people who either deny autism--anything other than the most severe kind--or say that it's "wildly over diagnosed" and that a lot of autistic kids are just badly parented brats whose parents are looking for an unfair advantage for their kids...this month brings them out of the woodwork.

My little guy is doing pretty well, thanks! He's a college freshman. We just finished a mother/son piece about autism and college that's going to be published in a week or so.
05-04-2017, 04:55 AM
I've never been diagnosed with OCD, I think I've broke out of most my habits associated with OCD when I hit puberty.

When I was a child, and I never knew remotely what OCD was, I'd have an obsession with the number 3 and be anxious if I couldn't touch certain things 3 times.
The craziest thing was that I'd feel empathy for inanimate objects, I'd keep so much rubbish in my pockets because I'd feel bad throwing things in the bin and I'd obsess if I lost a toy, not because the toy was irreplaceable but I'd feel anxious if I couldn't keep everything.

I think I broke out of those habits pretty much out of sheer anger when I was a very young teenager. Thinking I have no girlfriend, no money, was probably pretty unlucky relative to my peers. Touching everything 3 times and collecting rubbish in my pockets definitely wasn't helping and I didn't want to be doing that the rest of my life.
05-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Your husband friend is an asshole and a self-righteous dick who clearly doesn't know as much as he thinks.