My friend was healed & I can't explain why

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 02:10 AM
My friend was healed & I can't explain why
So my best friend used to be lactose intolerant. One of his Christian friends laid hands on his stomach, prayed, and now for the past 6 years I've been seeing him eat cheese, milk, and all kinds of dairy food with no problems at all. He confessed that while he was being prayed for, he felt some kind of sensation in his stomach. And now he's no longer lactose intolerant.
I honestly have no explanation for this. I know our bodies work in mysterious ways but this seems too coincidental. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DoubtingThomas's post
07-01-2017, 02:13 AM
RE: My friend was healed & I can't explain why
Picture is worth thousand words:

[Image: 031-thank-you-jesus-womanfor-helping-me-...-child.jpg]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 9 users Like Szuchow's post
07-01-2017, 02:14 AM
A guy who was lactose intolernat now can eat what he wants?

All praise god!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 7 users Like Deesse23's post
07-01-2017, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 02:43 AM by GirlyMan.)
NIH Consensus Development Conference: Lactose Intolerance and Health Final Panel Statement:

"Conclusions:
2. The majority of people with lactose malabsorption do not have clinical lactose intolerance. Many individuals who think they are lactose intolerant are not lactose malabsorbers.
3. Many individuals with real or perceived lactose intolerance avoid dairy and ingest inadequate amounts of calcium and vitamin D, which may predispose them to decreased bone accrual, osteoporosis, and other adverse health outcomes. In most cases, individuals do not need to eliminate dairy consumption completely.
..."

Or maybe Jesus.

#sigh
[+] 18 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-01-2017, 03:16 AM
(07-01-2017 02:10 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  So my best friend used to be lactose intolerant. One of his Christian friends laid hands on his stomach, prayed, and now for the past 6 years I've been seeing him eat cheese, milk, and all kinds of dairy food with no problems at all. He confessed that while he was being prayed for, he felt some kind of sensation in his stomach. And now he's no longer lactose intolerant.
I honestly have no explanation for this. I know our bodies work in mysterious ways but this seems too coincidental. What do you think?

"I honestly have no explanation for this."

REALLY!?

Rather than doing what GirlyMan did, and looking it up in 0.03 seconds on Google search, you leap straight to magic as an explanation?

Think about it: you just seriously proposed that a probable explanation was that not only was he magically healed, but that he could feel it happening.

Christians have the magical power to heal people?!? Just by praying and "laying on hands"? That's freakin' awesome! Now all the Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist (etc) hospitals out there can stop spending so much money on doctors and medicine! Dodgy

I think you need to work on the first half of your name, Thomas.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-01-2017, 05:17 AM
I think DT's legit. Genuine question. I had a few of those when I was exiting the faith. It's so goddamn hard to question when it's your best mate telling you he experienced a miracle.

DT: Basically what Girly's post said, when applied to your friend, is that he may have been mistaken that he was lactose intolerant in the first place. After he gets prayed over he's no longer afraid to eat dairy and hey, whaddya know, he can and there's no ill effect.

Questions for you:
a. How do you know the guy was lactose intolerant? He told you? Was he diagnosed? Are you sure?
b. How do you know it was the prayer that cured him, if you are satisfied that he was indeed lactose intolerant?
c. If it was the prayer that cured him was it God who acted on the prayer, or would Vishnu have been as effective?
d. If it was God why doesn't the fucker cure everyone's lactose intolerance?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
07-01-2017, 05:39 AM
The scientific term for it is "Being full of shit".

There's a lot of that going around....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-01-2017, 06:40 AM
(07-01-2017 05:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think DT's legit. Genuine question. I had a few of those when I was exiting the faith. It's so goddamn hard to question when it's your best mate telling you he experienced a miracle.

DT: Basically what Girly's post said, when applied to your friend, is that he may have been mistaken that he was lactose intolerant in the first place. After he gets prayed over he's no longer afraid to eat dairy and hey, whaddya know, he can and there's no ill effect.

Questions for you:
a. How do you know the guy was lactose intolerant? He told you? Was he diagnosed? Are you sure?
b. How do you know it was the prayer that cured him, if you are satisfied that he was indeed lactose intolerant?
c. If it was the prayer that cured him was it God who acted on the prayer, or would Vishnu have been as effective?
d. If it was God why doesn't the fucker cure everyone's lactose intolerance?

Yep, this is where god hides, in unexamined claims. For this person to have a confirmed miracle, I would follow James Randi's guidelines:

1. Claimant must have medical diagnoses of condition before attempted supernatural healing.

2. Claimant has medical diagnosis after attempted supernatural healing.

3. Claimant must confirm that their doctor has not been treating them for alleged condition.

If they cannot confirm every one of these points, then it's just another claim without evidence.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 9 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-01-2017, 08:38 AM
As for the sensation in his stomach when he was laid hands on... I get funny, excited feelings in my stomach when hearing Iron Maiden live. Don't think that's God doing it to me.
Just like I did when going to Christian concerts when I still believed. And just like I did when a preacher attempted to heal my anxiety disorder when I was a teenager (didn't work though). It's not magic, it's Endorphine and Adrenaline. When you believe strongly that you are in the process of being touched and healed by God, all sorts of excited and scared feelings overwhelm you and you physically feel all that bio-chemistry going on. Incredibly normal.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 3 users Like LadyDay's post
07-01-2017, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 10:10 AM by jennybee.)
Girly--Great post! Most people with actual lactose intolerance will avoid said foods. And not everyone who thinks they are lactose intolerant are actually lactose intolerant.

I would say your friend falls into the category of not lactose intolerant but thinks he is/was due to self-diagnosis. And if he was medically diagnosed, people are misdiagnosed with things all the time.

The sensation your friend experienced in his stomach is a natural response produced by the body when one feels like everything is going to be okay. You can try this on yourself: If you were worried you wouldn't have money to pay your bills and someone told you they would pay them for you, what sensation would you have? Most likely relief, happiness, etc. All emotional responses that happen naturally due to the stimulus provided. Only in your friend's situation, these people are attributing the body's natural response to magic.

Like Inquisition and MD also mentioned, there are so many variables (all of them natural explanations) that could have caused this person's "miraculous" healing. For example, anxiety and stress can produce issues with digestion--no lactose intolerance needed.

Following this example (digestion issues caused by anxiety and stress), let's introduce the Jebus card (a placebo) into the equation. I tell you everything is going to be okay now that I lay my hands on your stomach because Jebus is working through me to heal you. All of your pain is going to go away because you have Jesus. You just need to trust his Jebus-y goodness. By the power of Greyskull (He-Man reference Tongue ), you are healed!

I have heard many religious people say they no longer worry when they believe Jesus is with them. It would be no different if I gave you a magic rock and told you to keep it in your pocket at all times to keep yourself safe. As long as you have it with you, no harm can come to you. And you believe what I'm telling you with all your mind, body, and "soul." Now this religious person walks away thinking *everything* is going to be okay 'cause Jesus. This would naturally have a placebo calming effect, which in turn, would help to alleviate stress and anxiety, thereby reducing symptoms of digestive upset. And badda bing badda boom, they are cured!

Also, like Szuchow said, Jesus helps someone who is having tummy issues but lets babies starve to death in other countries. Really?
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post