My generation rewards stupidity over intelligence.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 08:20 PM
My generation rewards stupidity over intelligence.
Today in my marine biology class are week long sub was talking to us. I told her how I lost points on my dissection lab for saying kingdom metazoa instead of animal(which metazoa is fancy for animal). She said she could under stand why and it was because most teens my age don't really care about learning. That teens today just want to read and watch stupid things with little to no education value.

I am asking the adults if this is true or not. I don't think so, but I am curious to see what the adults think.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2014, 08:54 PM
RE: My generation rewards stupidity over intelligence.
While this may or may not be the case, this should not translate into being docked points in lab. That then becomes, not TEENS not wanting to hear anything remotely complicated, but SCIENCE TEACHERS not wanting to hear anything remotely complicated. Frankly, it's not even complicated... it's just not SpongeBob.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
23-04-2014, 08:57 PM
(23-04-2014 08:54 PM)Charis Wrote:  While this may or may not be the case, this should not translate into being docked points in lab. That then becomes, not TEENS not wanting to hear anything remotely complicated, but SCIENCE TEACHERS not wanting to hear anything remotely complicated. Frankly, it's not even complicated... it's just not SpongeBob.

To be fair I think my marine bio teacher hates me a little due to my over complicated understanding of animals. I am also the only student in my school that knows something like when certain branches of animals split during their evolutionary history.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-04-2014, 09:02 PM
1. This is cause for reward and recognition; not for reprimand.
2. "Overly complicated understanding" is purely subjective opinion, and it could be equally argued that your "science teacher" [sic] has a prohibitively restricted understanding in the very area he/she is to be teaching.

A teacher should be helping his students soar. No student should be punished for soaring before the others. This is very wrong. I find this personally very disturbing that this is happening.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
23-04-2014, 09:05 PM
First of all, saying anything about an entire generation is not going to be accurate. The world is a big place. Are Swedish kids uninterested in learning?

I teach music. Not science, but teaching is teaching. If I get a kid who is fully into the subject I embrace him or her.

I do not see any other teachers doing the oppossite.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-04-2014, 09:28 PM
While I agree that society right now is obsessed with the "stupid culture" (Jersey Shore, Toddlers and Tiaras, and Duck Dynasty are fine examples of this) I dont think thats the case here.

You may just have a lazy science teacher.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
23-04-2014, 09:59 PM
A teacher once told me "again you, the kid with the complicated questions" with an exasperation tone to it, she was my favourite teacher and I still think she was great.
But only with time I got to understand that she didn't meant it as an insult or anything like that, I think now that having a kid that actually wants to learn in a difficult teaching environment only adds to her job, it's like having to do two classes, one for the stupid kids and one for the kid that actually wants to learn.

While I think that lowering your grade just for doing things right is wrong, I don't think that most teachers would encourage stupidity, it's just that some times they just want to have a simpler day at work.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-04-2014, 10:24 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-04-2014, 11:00 PM
(23-04-2014 08:20 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Today in my marine biology class are week long sub was talking to us. I told her how I lost points on my dissection lab for saying kingdom metazoa instead of animal(which metazoa is fancy for animal). She said she could under stand why and it was because most teens my age don't really care about learning. That teens today just want to read and watch stupid things with little to no education value.

I am asking the adults if this is true or not. I don't think so, but I am curious to see what the adults think.

Hey.

Just because I don't put much effort into learning, doesn't mean I don't want to learn.

Fucking young people... throwing paint all over the place...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Hard science in some instances gives way to entrepreneurial madness, where profit surpasses genuine humane work. This creates existential angst and real ethical purpose becomes all but hidden by market demands. I think it must be very hard for young people to make viable employment choices.