My generation rewards stupidity over intelligence.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 01:46 AM
RE: My generation rewards stupidity over intelligence.
Lesson learned: teachers can be idiots too.

Honestly dude, I had like... max 3 or 4 teachers from primary school up to university whom I actually respected and who managed to teach me something as opposed to me learning it myself. The rest of 'em were... well some were just dull but competent but a lot were a combination of dull, aggressive and incompetent.

You're already sharp as a knife, just keep learning and don't worry if dumb ass teachers chirp you. Worry if teachers you think are great chirp you Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Stupidity over intelligence...

Not only in school, but you'll find that it's true the more you grow and the more you have to deal with "adults".

It's a power thing. With intelligence, you can see through lies, blackmail, passive-aggressive attitudes and selfishness. People who aim to dominate others often lack intelligence or are lazy, so they will shun those who express interests in things other than the mundane, and/or using others for their own purposes.

The best thing you can do is to prepare yourself, psychologically. This doesn't mean that you'll meet nothing but stupid, mean people. You will meet other intelligent persons like yourself and they may be rare, and they might hide their intelligence in order to survive. So it's important to also focus on the positive things, and spend your time and energy for those who are good to you.
[+] 1 user Likes Thanh's post
24-04-2014, 02:41 AM
It gets better at university because you come across a different kind of person teaching you.

Lecturers are generally researchers first interested in their topic. They expect the students to be as interested as them and are generally disappointed when they aren't. Students don't have to be at university and can leave at any time.

Teachers on the other hand spend their entire career forcing a curriculum down the throats of a class of unruly students who generally don't want to be there or to learn. They need the class to be able to answer the questions set in an exam. A university lecturer won't care.

It takes a while for students to learn the difference when moving to university. Teaching the first years is a nightmare when you have little teaching experience (post-docs get all the shitty classes). The students just sit there silent while you stand up in front of them making a fool of yourself. I can completely understand how if I had continued doing this I would have ended up more like a teacher. Having just one or two mature students in the class made all the difference because they knew why they were there and would ask questions.

I remember near the end of the term when only half the class had turned up for their introduction to computer science (none of them were computer science students and the course I had been given was kind of bollocks, all essays and stuff)

When marking off the attendance list I made a comment that they didn't have to be there and immediately got questions about whether the class was compulsory. I told them of course it wasn't, unless that is you wanted to pass your degree.

Next time I'll drill it into their heads that they are not at school now and the onus is on them to learn. If they don't want to do that then they may as well leave now.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post