My home county refusing to issue marriage licenses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2015, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2015 10:56 AM by god has no twitter account.)
RE: My home county refusing to issue marriage licenses
(27-06-2015 10:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I had a customer last might try to open this discussion, that the rights of Christians are being trodden.

Stupidity annoys the shit out of me, so he got an earful.

When christians were murdering and raping others, they were happy. Now, because their homophobia is being ignored by decent people, they are getting all upset.

Oh, how sad, never mind (not).

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm curious to see what happens in states like Alabama and Louisiana. It is possible we are going to see a Governor Wallace like standoff here. President Kennedy sent in the national guard to enforce the Supreme Court's decision. Will Obama have the sack to do the same if a few states refuse to comply?

Hopefully we don't have to find out, but I seriously doubt the fanatics in those states are going to just accept this and go along. I don't think this is over yet, the Supreme Courts decision notwithstanding.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-06-2015, 09:24 AM
(29-06-2015 08:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm curious to see what happens in states like Alabama and Louisiana. It is possible we are going to see a Governor Wallace like standoff here. President Kennedy sent in the national guard to enforce the Supreme Court's decision. Will Obama have the sack to do the same if a few states refuse to comply?

Hopefully we don't have to find out, but I seriously doubt the fanatics in those states are going to just accept this and go along. I don't think this is over yet, the Supreme Courts decision notwithstanding.

My guess is that our leadership will do whatever makes the most sense from an economic development standpoint. If appearing to be against it helps us recruit new business they will appear to be against it. If appearing to be for it helps us recruit, then that is what they will do. Our current governor is just starting his second (and last term) so, politically, he is not as vulnerable to the whims of the voting masses. So, right now, it is all about the money.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
29-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Well, given that much of corporate America has been embracing this for some time and the conservatives are still screaming about it, I don't think it's getting driven by economics. It's a good wedge issue for people who have no power, which is what poor whites in the South generally are. It gives them someone to be angry at while ignoring the real issues they deal with.

And, sadly, it's a proven political strategy.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
29-06-2015, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2015 01:29 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(29-06-2015 09:46 AM)BnW Wrote:  Well, given that much of corporate America has been embracing this for some time and the conservatives are still screaming about it, I don't think it's getting driven by economics. It's a good wedge issue for people who have no power, which is what poor whites in the South generally are. It gives them someone to be angry at while ignoring the real issues they deal with.

And, sadly, it's a proven political strategy.

Damned right, that's exactly how it works. Though it was about a midwestern state and not the South, Thomas Frank's book What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America is one of the better analyses of the political problem at stake. It's a lot deeper than "wag the dog" (or the god, in this case), but that's a proven political strategy, and is why these idiots are screaming about refusing to allow the SCotUS ruling to apply in their states. Hey guys, isn't that how you got placed on the Civil Rights Act "watch-list" in the first place?

I keep hearing echoes of "Segregation Now, Segregation Forever!" in their speech and in their actions. It's horrifying, to a Southerner still living in a very red part of a fairly red state, to have to watch history repeating itself with new victims. Except instead of cute little African-American girls and boys trying to go to school, it's cute little gay-boys and -girls trying to marry one another.

My question now is, will enough people of good will recognize it's the same and shout these morons down, or is this President gonna have to pull a Dwight D. Eisenhower or a John F. Kennedy send in federal troops? (Not a joke! Wish I was joking!)

If you don't believe it's the same thing, click here, read this, and substitute the appropriate 1956 words for the equivalent 2015 (!) words... The Southern Manifesto.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
29-06-2015, 01:43 PM
TODAY I AM EVEN MORE ANGRY.

Alabama state's Supreme Court has ordered probate judges from issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples for 25 days. People are enraged, and now Alabama is fighting to keep same sex marriage banned. Some probate judges have resorted to refusing to issue any marriage licenses, to either straight or same sex couples, because they're confused as to whether or not they should follow the state or the US Supreme Court.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
29-06-2015, 01:49 PM
(29-06-2015 01:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  TODAY I AM EVEN MORE ANGRY.

Alabama state's Supreme Court has ordered probate judges from issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples for 25 days. People are enraged, and now Alabama is fighting to keep same sex marriage banned. Some probate judges have resorted to refusing to issue any marriage licenses, to either straight or same sex couples, because they're confused as to whether or not they should follow the state or the US Supreme Court.

Oh Ferdi...The bible thumpers are just doubling down on crazy now. Quite sad actually.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
29-06-2015, 01:54 PM
(29-06-2015 01:49 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 01:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  TODAY I AM EVEN MORE ANGRY.

Oh Ferdi...The bible thumpers are just doubling down on crazy now. Quite sad actually.

Why can't my dumbass state be like the majority of other states and not be full of dumbasses
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
29-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Is there any way to remove Roy Moore from the bench? How can someone who is supposed to uphold the law, not do his job and still keep it?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
29-06-2015, 01:57 PM
That's why I posted what I did, above. This isn't new... it's just a 50 year old playbook they're operating from.

What I'm focusing on right now is trying to figure out how to explain to my grandkids (I've got time, my son is not yet nine years old) why people in 2015 were so bigoted and backward, like my elders had to explain to me about racism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson