My home county refusing to issue marriage licenses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: My home county refusing to issue marriage licenses
(29-06-2015 08:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm curious to see what happens in states like Alabama and Louisiana. It is possible we are going to see a Governor Wallace like standoff here. President Kennedy sent in the national guard to enforce the Supreme Court's decision. Will Obama have the sack to do the same if a few states refuse to comply?

I think there will be justices of the peace and county clerks which will be willing to grant licenses regardless of what their governors or attorney generals say. There's already a half dozen or more counties in Texas issuing licenses regardless of Texas Attorney General Paxton's contrary opinion.

(29-06-2015 08:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  Hopefully we don't have to find out, but I seriously doubt the fanatics in those states are going to just accept this and go along. I don't think this is over yet, the Supreme Courts decision notwithstanding.

That was the essence of Roberts' dissent. That by the Supreme Court deciding it, it robbed the people in individual States to come around to the idea on their own. Public opinion was clearly shifting in favor of same sex marriage. While that is true, the problem with his dissent is there are some States which would never come around to the idea on their own.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-06-2015, 02:05 PM
(29-06-2015 01:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 08:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm curious to see what happens in states like Alabama and Louisiana. It is possible we are going to see a Governor Wallace like standoff here. President Kennedy sent in the national guard to enforce the Supreme Court's decision. Will Obama have the sack to do the same if a few states refuse to comply?

I think there will be justices of the peace and county clerks which will be willing to grant licenses regardless of what their governors or attorney generals say. There's already a half dozen or more counties in Texas issuing licenses regardless of Texas Attorney General Paxton's contrary opinion.

(29-06-2015 08:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  Hopefully we don't have to find out, but I seriously doubt the fanatics in those states are going to just accept this and go along. I don't think this is over yet, the Supreme Courts decision notwithstanding.

That was the essence of Roberts' dissent. That by the Supreme Court deciding it, it robbed the people in individual States to come around to the idea on their own. Public opinion was clearly shifting in favor of same sex marriage. While that is true, the problem with his dissent is there are some States which would never come around to the idea on their own.

The county I live in is among the first to be ready to issue same sex marriage licenses in TX. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
29-06-2015, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2015 02:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-06-2015 01:56 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Is there any way to remove Roy Moore from the bench? How can someone who is supposed to uphold the law, not do his job and still keep it?

He was removed in 2003. He was reelected in 2012. Fucker is batshit bible crazy. If he defies the Supreme Court the Alabama Court of the Judiciary will remove him again. And the people of Alabama will reelect him again. Oh Alabama, why you so stupid. Facepalm

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-06-2015, 04:41 PM
(29-06-2015 01:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That was the essence of Roberts' dissent. That by the Supreme Court deciding it, it robbed the people in individual States to come around to the idea on their own. Public opinion was clearly shifting in favor of same sex marriage. While that is true, the problem with his dissent is there are some States which would never come around to the idea on their own.

I saw that. What a ridiculous argument. We also denied the states to come around on their own about slavery, Jim Crow, etc. I wonder if Roberts is willing to argue that was a mistake.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
29-06-2015, 04:46 PM
(29-06-2015 04:41 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 01:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That was the essence of Roberts' dissent. That by the Supreme Court deciding it, it robbed the people in individual States to come around to the idea on their own. Public opinion was clearly shifting in favor of same sex marriage. While that is true, the problem with his dissent is there are some States which would never come around to the idea on their own.

I saw that. What a ridiculous argument. We also denied the states to come around on their own about slavery, Jim Crow, etc. I wonder if Roberts is willing to argue that was a mistake.

Interestingly, he cited RBG's commentary on Roe. "That was my concern, that the court had given opponents of access to abortion a target to aim at relentlessly ... My criticism of Roe is that it seemed to have stopped the momentum that was on the side of change."

#sigh
29-06-2015, 05:00 PM
I see a lot of parallels to Brown v. Board of Education. Civil rights can't be left up to the majority opinion, the government HAS to stand up for the defense and equal protection of the minority, otherwise we're no better than a theocracy in the middle east that forbids Christianity. Wish Christians could see/understand that...

I'm hoping all these partisan biased jerk clerks will end up getting fired and forcefully replaced by those capable of FOLLOWING THE LAW. So frustrating when Christians can get away with ignoring the law. Imagine if it was an atheist clerk unwilling to issue licenses to religious people. Discrimination is discrimination, period. I don't understand why it's so hard for Christians to think logically, I mean I know WHY (cognitive bias bullshit), I just don't understand. I couldn't be illogical if I tried. Why people so dumb???

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like MustangManda's post
29-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I hope Obama sends in the army. That'll be a hoot. He could even dress them up in rainbow camo for the lolz.
If I was Pres that's what I'd do.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
29-06-2015, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2015 05:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I saw a license plate holder today that said "Hail Alabama. Don't go there".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-06-2015, 05:42 PM
[Image: stonecold.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-06-2015, 06:27 PM
This is fuckin ridiculous. The clerks aren't performing religious unions. These are civil contracts, nothing more. What the hell do they do if someone comes in who's a Hindu or Muslim or a Native American Indian who believes in mountain spirit gods? It's none of their goddamn business what other people are doing or what anyone else believes. Bunch of nosey yenta busybodies.

This just pisses me off. Shit!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post