My home county refusing to issue marriage licenses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 03:47 PM
RE: My home county refusing to issue marriage licenses
(30-06-2015 01:54 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, a few states are now suspending the issuance of marriage licenses altogether. Under that plan, the only way to get married is if a religious institution married you, many of which will not marry gays.

The problem is that this is clearly a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. So, it's going to be days, worst case a few weeks, before a federal judge puts a stop to this stupidity.

The revolution is over. The bigots lost.

I think many of the anti same-sex marriage people have some sort of odd religiously induced Asperger's affliction towards secularism brought on from being brainwashed from babyhood. They just don't recognize what a secular world is. It doesn't compute.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-06-2015, 08:23 PM
I've often wondered about that, myself. I know the memetic virus idea isn't solid science (to say the least), but I think there must be something to it, that an idea (like a language, or a recipe, or a religion) is a software program that we upload onto our brain, which is the hardware.

By my way of thinking, religion functions something like a virus, or at the very least a very aggressive program that reprograms everything else to make itself more powerful, giving the user pleasant feelings and certainty in an uncertain world in exchange for corrupting the skeptical and logical portions of the brain with overwrites that ensure the Christianity program will be hard to delete. As evidence, I submit the way they all react in similar ways, and give similar "shutdown sequence" responses almost verbatim, when you force their cognitive dissonance to come into contact.

If you don't believe me, try it with a few of your fundie acquaintances or family members. Ask them if America is a secular nation or a fundamentalist one like Saudi Arabia, and try to get them to admit that if we have a "wall of separation" then why do they feel they have a right to keep a religious ideology enshrined in law? Of course, my favorite method is getting them into Creationism arguments and crashing them at 100kph into the Wall of Logic on that issue.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-07-2015, 11:02 PM
It continues.
04-07-2015, 03:41 AM
(03-07-2015 11:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  It continues.

Um. That article is from March Smile edit: Updated July 1... Sorry. Me dumb Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-07-2015, 10:06 AM
(04-07-2015 03:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Um. That article is from March Smile edit: Updated July 1... Sorry. Me dumb Tongue

Yeah, the article started in Feb or March and was recently updated due to everything that's currently happening. Alabama had legalized gay marriage months ago and it was an issue. The issue calmed. Now it's an issue again.
04-07-2015, 11:26 AM
A pure democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner.
[+] 3 users Like ThatAtheistChick's post
05-07-2015, 05:42 AM
TAC - You can't quote Heinlein without citing Heinlein! Wink

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-07-2015, 08:48 AM
(05-07-2015 05:42 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  TAC - You can't quote Heinlein without citing Heinlein! Wink
Sorry. Read it somewhere and didn't remember where....I am terrible that way. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes ThatAtheistChick's post
05-07-2015, 10:53 PM

One of the pictures from that article. Tongue [Image: -c26559cda7c0d542.JPG]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user