My hypocritical, self righteous, christian family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 06:50 AM
My hypocritical, self righteous, christian family
Just some ranting to do. I am fucking pissed tonight so you deserve an award if you can sit through this (haha).

So I came out as an atheist to my parents a few days ago (I'm a teen btw) and It went relatively ok. My mum said that she was ok with me doing some 'searching' and me not going to church.

However, today I came home after going out (for like 1 hour) and my mum sat down while I was eating dinner and said "I still want you to l go for evening service, then go out for dinner as a family. I think it is important as you are still searching'. So I calmly said "I don't want to go" and she just walked off without saying a word. Well fuck, I didn't know those words where that disgusting that she would leave.

So I asked my dad "did you talk to mum about this?" He said "no" and sat down beside me. My older sis was beside him as well. He said "you're not doing a favour to god if you don't go to church, why don't you wanna go" I said "I don't believe" and my sister was there making remarks quietly probably something like "just a phase" or something, like I'm supposed to be a fucking painting in a museum, thinking like that's super fucking witty or something.

So my dad said "without god you can't even breathe! I think you are demon possesed! You don't wanna go to church, or pray or anything, like you are angry with god." I told them "I'm not angry I..." Before I could finish, my sis cut in saying (yeah thanks sis, best fucking role model) "you are not 18 yet" I said "As christians you guys shouldn't be dragging me to church" She said "you have to respect your parents' will"

Eh, there's a lot more, but you get the drift. I am fucking tired of these christian bastards using the same excuses, being stuck up, self righteous hypocrites and thinking their viewpoint must always be right. Using the same old arguments, going off-topic and being a dick to everyone. I'm not angry with god (he doesn't exist) but they sure make my blood boil about theists.

Thanks yahweh, for your stupid imperfect law. Thanks all the bible writers, for writing the most stupid, devisive and inaccurate book ever made. Thanks for stirring up strife in an otherwise good household. Of course I'll worship you for eternity, of course I'll serve you wholeheartedly and give up my time, money and dreams for you. (It's sarcasm if you couldn't tell)

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes guitarist's post
30-08-2013, 06:54 AM
RE: My hypocritical, self righteous, christian family
Sorry you have to deal with this. You can always vent here and others from religious backgrounds will understand. Good luck!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
30-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Tell them you're exploring Buddhism and need the time for meditation. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I read it. What's my reward?

How old is your sister?

Unsure

Those two questions are not connected, btw.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
30-08-2013, 09:21 AM
There's nothing more frustrating than being a teenager and having your parents try to impose their will on you, unless it's being a parent and having a teenager who is unwilling to cooperate with you. Wink

I've been on both sides of that coin, btw. I wanted to stop attending "meetings" at the JW Kingdom Hall when I was 15 or so. My parents insisted that I go. I was the eldest child and they didn't want me 'setting a bad example' for my siblings. They talked to the JW elders about my "rebellious attitude", and from there gossip went around the congregation that I was a "bad association" and I was pretty much shunned by everyone I knew. (We weren't allowed to have friends outside the JWs.) It was so distressing that I contemplated suicide and running away from home. It took about a year of this kind of misery (with a healthy dose of blackmail from my mother) before I started complying and cooperating with my parents' wishes.

I finally realized at the age of 35 that I am atheist. Prior to that my husband and I (along with our children) stopped attending the Kingdom Hall for about 4 years. Our eldest was 8 when we quit and the youngest was 1½. I'm really glad that we didn't allow them to become indoctrinated.

Are you old enough to get a part-time job? One where you could engineer a "conflict" with your family's worship services? Even washing dishes at a restaurant would be better than being subjected to the mental torture of having to attend church against your will. Plus you can tell your parents that you want to save money for college/university or a car or a trip, etc.

On the other hand, you could use the opportunity to take notes and identify logical fallacies in the sermons. It's great practice for sharpening your bullshit detector.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
30-08-2013, 09:40 AM
(30-08-2013 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I read it. What's my reward?

How old is your sister?

Unsure

1. You get a shocking anagram - did you know that "a theist" is an anagram of "atheist" Shocking

2. 17

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
30-08-2013, 09:48 AM
(30-08-2013 08:33 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Tell them you're exploring Buddhism and need the time for meditation. Thumbsup

Whatsup man? To be honest, I think my parents aren't really that receptive of other religions. They're the same people who said "hypnotherapy is satanic!!!!1111!!!! Evil_monster" I've already made it clear to them that I don't believe in god, so it would be good to stick to that I guess so they wouldn't see it as 'just a phase'. Though I reckon they do believe it is a phase as right after I came out, they told me a story of a guy who stopped going to church to 'search' for a while and 'bounced back' as a stronger christian. (Could make a stellar comedy flick). Big Grin

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
30-08-2013, 09:55 AM
(30-08-2013 09:40 AM)guitarist Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I read it. What's my reward?

How old is your sister?

Unsure

1. You get a shocking anagram - did you know that "a theist" is an anagram of "atheist" Shocking

2. 17

1. Ohmy Shocking

2. That's the pain-in-the-arse age. It's just a phase she's going through.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post