My idea about when we die what happens.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2011, 12:36 AM
My idea about when we die what happens.
In no way does this involve reincarnation because it's not transferring a soul or a spirit. It's hard to understand but hopefully I can get it across without causing a large amount of confusion.

The human brain experiences consciousness correct? When you were non existing (not born yet) you had no idea it's nothing, you don't remember. In my opinion the same goes when we die. We cease to exist completely and that's it.

Now here is the confusing part. You are born again but as a different consciousness without a soul or spirit transfer. It's simply another human (baby) experiencing a consciousness. What I've always wondered about is why am I me? Why am I not Jim on the other side of the country? What keeps me from being him?

So what I'm trying to say is, the brain simply is who we are which is obvious I know but for each new person born it's simply another consciousness born and since the brain is so advanced we can think for ourselves once we mature and we think that we have to be here for a reason and we wonder about what happens when we die and all of these things but in all reality we just die. It's simply like when a computer is manufactured... it lives (not technically lol) but it finally dies. Yea you can replace the parts but were not going to get into that.

Just say the computer dies and you buy another one which is the exact same brand... it didn't have a spirit or soul but it's the same computer. The computer doesn't have a consciousness but say it did... it would experience itself like we do. If taught a religion then it would believe but as it became more intelligent it would become an atheist Wink (haha) but in all seriousness what I'm trying to say is that we all experience ourselves and when we die we no longer experience (your name) When another baby is born that person is going to have a consciousness and so someone (being that baby) is going to experience themselves.

It gets harder to explain the closer you get to the full explanation so I mean basically that's all I can give you. If you can try and sum it up yourselves then go for it but remember there is no spirit or soul... your not going into someone's body after you die your just simply a new computer (human) a new consciousness. Since it's completely impossible to experience two consciousness (being two people) it seems possible if you get what I'm trying to explain.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 01:49 AM
RE: My idea about when we die what happens.
That is my understanding of what reincarnation is. I have no such belief in anything like that. It is an idea which can't be verifiably tested, at least not at this time.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Maybe I'm not understanding, but it seems a lot like reincarnation to me (excluding the soul part that is).
26-04-2011, 02:01 AM
See but your not carrying your own consciousness over to the newborn or a soul... your simply dead. You no longer exist. Now this child that was born is a new consciousness. Correct? So who is it that is seeing out of his eyes? Him. It's a new start. Who is he really though? It's just a new brain that is born, a new consciousness. Someone has to fill that consciousness which is him.

How long did it feel like until you realized you were a person? It didn't feel like anything... you were just there. No idea of being born. So when you die... it's just going to recycle and happen again. Not an afterlife but simply a never ending circle... just like the universe.
26-04-2011, 02:10 AM
So are you just saying that each new person has his own conciousness? I don't see how someone has to fill a conciousness. A conciousness is a result of that person's brain so the person's brain creates the conciousness.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes each new person has his own consciousness which I know is obvious but what I'm trying to translate is that what makes someones consciousness different from mine? Simply the persons physical appearance, it's surroundings, and other things that would cause any differences such as a different chemical reaction in the brain caused by drugs or foods. I'm trying to say that were are just experiencing a consciousness so when we die why can't we simply experience another consciousness? Hopefully that makes a little more sense to you. It's extremely hard to explain this but I have been thinking about this for so long but have never been able to fully explain it to anyone and I've never read anything like it because in no way am I talking about reincarnation although a lot will think it's what I'm talking about but I'm not.
26-04-2011, 02:26 AM
You experience your life through your body and brain, which no one shares with you. They experience their life through their own bodies and brain. That is why their experience is different from yours. As for experiencing other person's conciousness? I don't see how.

Maybe you just can't get your head around the idea of not existing anymore. I haven't been able to either. But that is not going to make me look at untestable possibilities as reasonable alternatives.

26-04-2011, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 02:40 AM by Snuff.)
No I realize the idea of not existing anymore although it will suck and I'm not looking forward to it, I'm looking at how everyone experiences their own consciousness. My son is 3 weeks old and although he is to young to even realize a lot he is still experiencing a consciousness and so what I'm looking at is what if death really isn't what we think it is. You die of course but what is separating his consciousness from who he is? He is already someone, it's set in stone because he is here now. So when I die I will be dead forever. When someone is born what is keeping that someones consciousness from being experienced by (a totally new me) I'm having to use (me) to actually create an object but in reality it's not me it's just another brain projecting a consciousness which I'll be experiencing as a new human being.
26-04-2011, 05:48 AM

When we die our consciousness is lost but it is not that when we take rebirth our consciousness also takes a rebirth. May be today we are human who knows after death or during rebirth what we will be.
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Correct if I'm wrong here, but you're saying that when you die, you lose your own person consciousness. So, with no consciousness there is nothing separating you from someone else with a consciousness? When you are dead, you cease to be your previous consciousness. Sort of a "You live on through the next generation" thing? Or, are you talking about how you will impact your child, causing his own consciousness to be similar to your own, even after your death?

I think part of the hold up for a lot of us is that you use the word "I/me" and "My consciousness" as two separate things. I'm following the consciousness part, but how is your self identity, the I/me part, not part of your consciousness?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!