My idea about when we die what happens.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
RE: My idea about when we die what happens.
(02-04-2013 10:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, this is what I think:

1. Consciousness is a part of the brain functions. When the brain is dead, consciousness, memory and everything is dead. Hence there can be no consciousness after death, and the person you were has ceased to exist alltogether.

2. In nature, everything gets recycled. It is obvious that your body is going to get recycled in one fashion or another.

Now, I always leave room for recognizing our limitation in observing and capturing stuff that exists, I don't really believe that we are advanced enough to be able to measure and label everything that is. We have come a very long way, but I think we have a very long way to go yet, too.

So I allow for the existance of "something" that is present and powering you while you are alive, something that is not your body and certainly not your consciousness which I consider part of the body as above.

This "something" would also get recycled as per the laws of nature. That would validate the OP's statements. However, it would only go into one specific life to power it if it were one unit of "something". If it is for instance something gaseous, it would disperse, mingle with other "somethings" out there, and new life would draw from this mixed gaseous "something" to power it. That would be more in line with nature, where recycled items are absorbed by various organisms and spat out and absorbed again and on and on. These recycled items do not remain one unit, they get all mixed up with other recycled items.

So, if we fly with the idea of "something" other than your body remaining after death, then most likely there are pools of it around and new life (probably anything from grass to elephants to people) can draw power from this pool.
This is an area that has intrigued me for many years.

Obviously when I am cremated my ashes may blow in the wind or perhaps provide some form of fertilization to some part of nature in some way.
I do not see "me" fetus, child, youth,young man, old man, along with memories, existing and forgotten, 'going wham bang thank you Mam' to regenerate in any Christian replica of myself at any of those past stages. I see Unbeliever's analogy as relevant here.

The reincarnation people speak of being re born in another body.
How can my identity, what made me, be "me" in another person?

The eastern idea of Karma is a sort of learning to be a better person via different bodies. Strange a new body having to suffer, or enjoy, via any number of past 'others', isn't it? The nature of the' betterment' is also worrisome? How is it decreed?

There may be ineffable phenomena out there, even higher minds and moralities, understandings, and meanings beyond our wildest imaginings;as for me I'm not taking on any of the dogmas claiming to justify these.........................
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't see any of these as a possibility, what makes you "you" is all in your brain, all your experiences and hard wiring, and that will be dead.

Taking your experiences or hard wiring with you seems to be an impossibility.

And really, why would you want to?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Holy shit! I've been thinking about this my whole life! I've never heard anyone think exactly what I believed. I truly believe you are 100% correct! It makes sense! There is no way we live one existence. We live, we die and don't live again ourselves but we simply are another person!
17-08-2016, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2016 12:30 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
I've been thinking about this for a while too. I think it becomes even more plausible if there are multiple Universes.
17-08-2016, 02:31 PM
(17-08-2016 09:51 AM)Remmington Wrote:  Holy shit! I've been thinking about this my whole life! I've never heard anyone think exactly what I believed. I truly believe you are 100% correct! It makes sense! There is no way we live one existence. We live, we die and don't live again ourselves but we simply are another person!

G'day, and welcome. Smile

Nope; what you're talking about is commonly known among the fearful religious or Scientologist or Hindus etc as reincarnation. But there's absolutely no viable evidence that's even come close to proving it exists as such. Can you explain how you can say that we "simply" become another person? I'd imagine it'd be an extremely complicated process—more so as nobody has ever worked it out. What exactly is your hypothesis?

(Mods; may split/start new thread if this fires up again?)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
17-08-2016, 02:34 PM
(26-04-2011 02:18 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Yes each new person has his own consciousness which I know is obvious but what I'm trying to translate is that what makes someones consciousness different from mine? Simply the persons physical appearance, it's surroundings, and other things that would cause any differences such as a different chemical reaction in the brain caused by drugs or foods. I'm trying to say that were are just experiencing a consciousness so when we die why can't we simply experience another consciousness? Hopefully that makes a little more sense to you. It's extremely hard to explain this but I have been thinking about this for so long but have never been able to fully explain it to anyone and I've never read anything like it because in no way am I talking about reincarnation although a lot will think it's what I'm talking about but I'm not.

What makes you different is your learned experiences, the way your particular DNA and epigenetics creates and processes, memories. Brain chemistry. There is no way that's replicated anywhere else, or in anyone else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-08-2016, 02:41 PM
(26-04-2011 02:01 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Someone has to fill that consciousness which is him.

Life takes care of that. We are the sum of our experiences.
17-08-2016, 03:17 PM
(17-08-2016 09:51 AM)Remmington Wrote:  Holy shit! I've been thinking about this my whole life! I've never heard anyone think exactly what I believed. I truly believe you are 100% correct! It makes sense! There is no way we live one existence. We live, we die and don't live again ourselves but we simply are another person!

There's no "we" to be "another person". What makes you you, is gone.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
17-08-2016, 06:59 PM
(17-08-2016 03:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

There's no "we" to be "another person". What makes you you, is gone.

Not if there are an infinite number of Universes and an infinite number of variants of those Universes.
17-08-2016, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2016 06:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-08-2016 06:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(17-08-2016 03:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There's no "we" to be "another person". What makes you you, is gone.

Not if there are an infinite number of Universes and an infinite number of variants of those Universes.

You are still just you. What may arise in another universe would not necessarily be anything similar to what you are here. What any being might experience in another universe would be nothing like what it experiences here. The probability for that is a higher order of infinity than your infinite universes. What happens in other universes is NOTHING (necessarily) similar to what happens/happened here. Try harder.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post