My idea about when we die what happens.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-08-2016, 06:05 PM
There will always be many religions. This thread is proof of it. Some people just feel the woo. Then woo people get together and try to explain the woo they both feel. Then they come up with a ridiculous theory of their woo. The theory becomes fact.

The world will have many more gods. I guarantee it. There needs to be a pill that cures people of woo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2016, 06:09 PM
RE: My idea about when we die what happens.
OP did a good job of using a lot of words to say... nothing at all.
[+] 2 users Like excitedpenguin's post
29-08-2016, 06:13 PM
(29-08-2016 06:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  There will always be many religions. This thread is proof of it. Some people just feel the woo. Then woo people get together and try to explain the woo they both feel. Then they come up with a ridiculous theory of their woo. The theory becomes fact.

The world will have many more gods. I guarantee it. There needs to be a pill that cures people of woo.

All we really need is intellectual honesty. If you can get people to be honest with you and you have a long conversation with them about their beliefs the results can be pretty astonishing. Look up street epistemology. It's as close to a pill as you can get.
29-08-2016, 06:23 PM
(29-08-2016 06:13 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 06:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  There will always be many religions. This thread is proof of it. Some people just feel the woo. Then woo people get together and try to explain the woo they both feel. Then they come up with a ridiculous theory of their woo. The theory becomes fact.

All we really need is intellectual honesty. If you can get people to be honest with you and you have a long conversation with them about their beliefs the results can be pretty astonishing. Look up street epistemology. It's as close to a pill as you can get.

You can counter some of it but some humans have a predisposition to feel woo. It will never go away unless evolution cures it eventually. I won't be around when that happens though.

Or will I?
29-08-2016, 07:37 PM
(29-08-2016 06:23 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 06:13 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  All we really need is intellectual honesty. If you can get people to be honest with you and you have a long conversation with them about their beliefs the results can be pretty astonishing. Look up street epistemology. It's as close to a pill as you can get.

You can counter some of it but some humans have a predisposition to feel woo. It will never go away unless evolution cures it eventually. I won't be around when that happens though.

Or will I?

We have a lot of other predispositions that civilised society constantly removes from the developing mind by the use of education and through a natural process involving positive reinforcement and instruction by example.

We can have a mostly rational society(concerning certain packed forms of irrationality, such as religion). Let's strive for that. Then, if some people will still be religious as a minority that will certainly be unfortunate for them, I think, but not so much for society as a whole.
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
29-08-2016, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2016 08:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-08-2016 06:09 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  OP did a good job of using a lot of words to say... nothing at all.

And that's precisely what happens. Not a damn thing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-08-2016, 09:22 PM
(29-08-2016 06:23 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 06:13 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  All we really need is intellectual honesty. If you can get people to be honest with you and you have a long conversation with them about their beliefs the results can be pretty astonishing. Look up street epistemology. It's as close to a pill as you can get.

Or will I?

The question about what makes me, me(or at least feel that way) and not you, even though our cells are getting replaced at a prolific rate, is interesting. Not so much woo.

Something is wired in our minds that makes us us. I think that is what the OP is going at, if he loses me a bit with the reincarnation angle.

I think science can unravel that question if it is properly formulated. Mental illnesses that make us forget who we are might offer some insight.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
30-08-2016, 02:24 AM
We are, simply, the constitution of our brains, or, more specifically, those parts of our brains that make up our personalities, traits and thoughts. The mystery begins when you try to decipher which part of our brains give us our awareness. But I think that is a trick question and the answer may be more convoluted than we would care for if we were to insist on posing it in that particular manner. Granted, I'm not a neuroscientist, I'm merely echoing some real scientists' thoughts on the matter.