My image of God (short version)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 12:54 AM
RE: My image of God (short version)
When we first begin to doubt the space available for a God is immense. I like to think of this space of possible gods as a universe of variables such as we would use in an optimzation problem. In our dogma we drew lines around the God we believed in that defined its properties for us.

The first questioning broadens our perception of God. Our restrictive lines are loosened and we see this figure in a new, more inclusive light.

Then, we start to find answers. Each thing we know changes the nature of possible gods. He didn't create humanity and the kinds of life in Genesis. He isn't all powerful, our otherwise he isn't all good. He doesn't answer prayer.

The answers we find start to rule out possible gods. They reduce the size of the box that God can possibly exist within. The moment we call ourselves atheist is the moment we realise that box is so small, it either must be empty or might as well be so. Gods could exist, but the evidence is that everything happening in our universe either is or at least can be explained without them. They don't seem to be involved in out lives or the state of the world.

When you start to draw that box God lives in smaller and smaller you just might be on a trajectory towards finding the box is empty after all.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply