My imaginary enemy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 11:38 PM
My imaginary enemy
I used to be bullied as a kid. I came up with this story about my cousin who was a brave soldier and that would kick everybody's ass when he returned from deployment.
I invented my imaginary protector and let me tell you, no deed was too brave and no act was too courageous for him.
I was 8 years old.
Nobody could measure up to my cousin, because he did not exist.
I feel that we are against a cartoon superhero (AKA god) that can be made up to do and be whatever needed. Groups of people make up their superheroes and then they have the superheroes fight one another.
But wait, the superhero is unavailable so the people carry on the fight. And they are so convinced that they are right, that people have to die because they don't believe in the right cartoon character.
I get discouraged. How can we fight an imaginary entity? How can we bring reason in a world where people long for superheroes?
I listen to podcasts and watch youtubes and I see our atheist community fighting god as if it was real.
God is not great because god doesn't exist. Why do we have to fight against something that does not exist? We shouldn't even have to talk about this lie. Go away, god!!!
I know I can live the rest of my life without giving god a second thought. I wouldn't miss it.
I don't want god and religion in my life. I don't want to have to fight an imaginary enemy. I am sick of it all. I am angry for wasting so much of my life looking for god that never existed. I am angry that I have to prove that I am a good person "despite" the fact that I am an atheist.
I resent faith. I resent it because I feel that there's no way to stop this madness. I feel trapped.
PLEASE SAVE ME FROM RELIGION!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Elenambass's post
02-10-2014, 12:22 AM
RE: My imaginary enemy
(01-10-2014 11:38 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  ...

Are you asking me or you cousin?

Can we enlist your cousin?

Sounds like he'd be a kickass saviour.

(01-10-2014 11:38 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  ...
How can we bring reason in a world where people long for superheroes?

There are two parts to this... 'reason' and 'superheroes'.

The first part has been happening, slowly, for centuries. The internet is accelerating the process.

But the longing for superheroes ain't going away any time soon. It is innate within us to seek out parental protectors and this only fades as we reach adulthood / become parents ourselves.

Maybe, Marvel comics and their ilk are the saviour here. At least we know these are fiction, like Santa... perhaps we need more known-to-be-unreal superheroes and actual secular leaders who are real superheroes.

Perhaps then, the need to hope for unreal supernatural superheroes will fade.

The answer... more atheist pop-stars and footballers.

Just a thought.

02-10-2014, 04:30 AM
(01-10-2014 11:38 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  I used to be bullied as a kid. I came up with this story about my cousin who was a brave soldier and that would kick everybody's ass when he returned from deployment.
I invented my imaginary protector and let me tell you, no deed was too brave and no act was too courageous for him.
I was 8 years old.
I feel that we are against a cartoon superhero (AKA god) that can be made up to do and be whatever needed. Groups of people make up their superheroes and then they have the superheroes fight one another.
But wait, the superhero is unavailable so the people carry on the fight. And they are so convinced that they are right, that people have to die because they don't believe in the right cartoon character.
I get discouraged. How can we fight an imaginary entity? How can we bring reason in a world where people long for superheroes?
I listen to podcasts and watch youtubes and I see our atheist community fighting god as if it was real.
God is not great because god doesn't exist. Why do we have to fight against something that does not exist? We shouldn't even have to talk about this lie. Go away, god!!!
I know I can live the rest of my life without giving god a second thought. I wouldn't miss it.
I don't want god and religion in my life. I don't want to have to fight an imaginary enemy. I am sick of it all. I am angry for wasting so much of my life looking for god that never existed. I am angry that I have to prove that I am a good person "despite" the fact that I am an atheist.
I resent faith. I resent it because I feel that there's no way to stop this madness. I feel trapped.

Hallo bro.

"I resent it because I feel that there's no way to stop this madness."

Yes there is. Stand tall, look it in the eye, say "fuck you", and shoot it in the kneecaps.

"I feel trapped. PLEASE SAVE ME FROM RELIGION!"

Well...why not save yourself? See above.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 08:35 AM
(01-10-2014 11:38 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  I invented my imaginary protector and let me tell you, no deed was too brave and no act was too courageous for him.
I was 8 years old.

The only thing your cousin was missing was a 500 IQ.

"Who are you to question my cousin?" and "My cousin works in mysterious ways."

(01-10-2014 11:38 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  I get discouraged. How can we fight an imaginary entity? How can we bring reason in a world where people long for superheroes?

You can't. The bar's been set impossibly high. About all you can do is point out why believing in imaginary entities is ridiculous on first principles and not give them an inch on accepting unfounded assertions.
02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
(01-10-2014 11:38 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  I don't want god and religion in my life. I don't want to have to fight an imaginary enemy. I am sick of it all. I am angry for wasting so much of my life looking for god that never existed. I am angry that I have to prove that I am a good person "despite" the fact that I am an atheist.
I concur. However, the existence of religion is the reality that we all have to deal with for now. There are plenty of historical causes that one would think should have been unnecessary. For example, the civil rights movement in the United States. No doubt, the people who participated in those marches, lobbies, etc. had other things they would rather have been doing with their time if only blacks were treated properly in the first place. But reality was not that nice and so the movement was necessary. The same is true about religion. Turn your anger and frustration into action. That's what I'm trying to do. Right now, I'm trying to learn as much as I can so later, when I have more time, I can make myself useful in the cause of exposing the bullshit that religion is. I'd rather spend my time doing other things, but if I do and if we all do, religion will persist.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.