My intro (manifesto?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 11:13 AM
My intro (manifesto?)
Hello All,

I am happy to find this group and drop a bit of the façade that I tend to carry around. I have been an atheist for about the last 5 years now, but I tend to keep this aspect of myself somewhat close to the vest. I am quite proud of my world view, and I feel it is quite a personal accomplishment. My accomplishment is not so much of what new beliefs I have gained, but of those that I have shed. I grew up Southern Baptist and spent the first thirty years of my life in a conflict (both internal and external) of beliefs. My family is very religious, and I have been indoctrinated to Christianity and at that that implies since a very young child. However, even as I child I rebelled against drinking the kool aid fully. I tended just to sip it.

I eventually took that big gulp as a teenager when the fear of hell became just too powerful. I lingered in this state of needing to believe and trying to believe for the next fifteen years. To try and assuage my doubts about my beliefs, I became quite studied on the subject of my religion and others. In trying to learn more about subjects such as creation, evolution, origins of the universe, etc. . , I became a big fan of science. I began to see more and more that science had answers for mysteries where religion had excuses, misdirection, and sleight of hand. As I learned more about science, I pushed the concept of “God” out further and further. I tried to find a middle ground of God and the natural universe. Other more moderate forms of Christianity allowed for ideas such intelligent design (cop-out theory) where God merely used the Big Band and evolution to guide creation.

I lingered in these ideas for a time until this too became unpalatable. It was not until I first came across speakers like Matt Dillahunty and Richard Dawkins, that I was able to give a name to what my mind was searching for. I feel in love with the idea that faith is simply believing in something without evidence. I had a moment of clarity , and epiphany if you will, that my faith is a poor crutch for my ignorance. I began to see that simply stating “I don’t know” is much better than grasping onto superstitions to give myself comfort and a false sense of security in life. Thus, for the past year, I have ravenously consumed ideas through lectures, debates, and books. Still, this was very much a solo journey. Lately, I have attempted to let others see this aspect of myself. Frankly, I was rather taken aback how poorly people reacted when I happened to identify myself as an atheist. Still, I am adjusting to coming out of the closet so to speak. My family actively avoids the subject, and that is fine I guess. I am resigned to the idea that our paths have diverged in terms of our world views. Really, I have nothing to gain in trying to “convert” them (unconvert them would be more a more accurate statement).

Now at 44 years old, I feel as if I finally have a relatively unencumbered mind with which I can view and experience the world. Up till now, my journey was largely internal as it should have been I suppose. Within this new framework of ideas I have, I wish to explore the space so to speak (Blue Oyster Cult SNL skit comes to mind.) Thus, I come to find this board and you people. I look forward to getting to know the community. Maybe a bit long for an intro , but still rather succinct for a manifesto.

Korey
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Korey B's post
23-01-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: My intro (manifesto?)
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
23-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Welcome, Korey, we're glad to have you aboard.
23-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Hiyas. I was raised an SoB myself ... good on you shitcanning the nonsense.
23-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-01-2017, 11:43 AM
(23-01-2017 11:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Hiyas. I was raised an SoB myself ... good on you shitcanning the nonsense.

Someone recently asked me what it was like belonging to a Southern Baptist Church. I said it was like being the only adult at Disneyland. They didn't think it was funny
[+] 4 users Like Korey B's post
23-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Welcome!
23-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Hi!

I'm another person who suffered through a Southern Baptist upbringing.
23-01-2017, 12:58 PM
(23-01-2017 12:43 PM)julep Wrote:  Hi!

I'm another person who suffered through a Southern Baptist upbringing.

Hi Julep, yeah, sometimes I tell people that I'm a recovering Southern Baptist
23-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Hello! Big Grin

You could always shorten that to "Hi! I'm an R,S,B!"

Now... if people put different words to the letters.....

No, wait. I certainly did not mean 'Royal son-of-a b!tch.' Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post