My introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 08:16 PM
My introduction
I was educated in Seventh-day Adventist schools through university and seminary. I studied Biblical Hebrew for 5 years. I studied Semitic Languages in Germany and completed 2 years of a doctoral program at the University of Chicago before concluding that I could no longer believe in SDA theology. I changed career paths to become a Nurse Practitioner and recently retired aged 65. I equate theism with homeopathy and believe there are parallels between schizophrenic delusions and religious delusions (shamanism or prophetism). I look forward to sharing views and turning back superstition. I think militant atheist need to realize that most American believers are functionally equivalent to Amazonian aborigines or African animists. Just because one can empirically and logically prove their beliefs are superstition, the superstitious natives are not going to stop believing in their gods overnight on a logical basis. The Roman Empire had pagan believers in Zeus for centuries after Christianity became the state religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like doncasebolt's post
23-08-2015, 09:19 PM
RE: My introduction
Welcome to TTA. Having an expert on Bible-era Hebrew and Greek will certainly prove useful, around here.

You'll certainly find a number of us who agree (self included) that people who have religious visions are experiencing something akin to, if not clinical-diagnosis-level, schizophrenic hallucinations. That was the conclusion I garnered from the "God Helmet" research, in which people with certain brain architecture are magnetically induced to "sensing a presence in the room", etc., and seeing that a similar effect (a form of mild epileptic seizure) could be produced by the slowing of blood flow in parts of the brain during intensive meditation or prayer.

Looking forward to your contributions!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
23-08-2015, 09:21 PM
That's a very interesting intro...welcome!

Here is a cupcake for you. Big Grin

[Image: e5b14cc7a8f39e8f92dc6f6c8472bfb2.jpg]

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
23-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Welcome!
23-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Welcome Big Grin

Pull up a chair and stay a while!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-08-2015, 11:01 PM
(23-08-2015 08:16 PM)doncasebolt Wrote:  I was educated in Seventh-day Adventist schools through university and seminary. I studied Biblical Hebrew for 5 years. I studied Semitic Languages in Germany and completed 2 years of a doctoral program at the University of Chicago before concluding that I could no longer believe in SDA theology. I changed career paths to become a Nurse Practitioner and recently retired aged 65. I equate theism with homeopathy and believe there are parallels between schizophrenic delusions and religious delusions (shamanism or prophetism). I look forward to sharing views and turning back superstition. I think militant atheist need to realize that most American believers are functionally equivalent to Amazonian aborigines or African animists. Just because one can empirically and logically prove their beliefs are superstition, the superstitious natives are not going to stop believing in their gods overnight on a logical basis. The Roman Empire had pagan believers in Zeus for centuries after Christianity became the state religion.

I will look forward to discussing things with you. =)
24-08-2015, 12:53 AM
I enjoyed the post so much I gave you a rep.

Welcome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-08-2015, 03:46 AM

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
24-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Welcome; great intro.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user