My introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 09:26 PM
My introduction
Hey all I stumbled upon this forum a few hours ago and joined and figured I should introduce myself
I'm Alex and I'm from Connecticut originally, going to school in Rhode Island. I have been an atheist for years now and it encourages me to find like-minded people. In my teen years religion was forced on me and it still has its detriments now that I'm almost 21. The political climate isn't helping the matter and I feel worthless, alone, and distrusting most of the time. I'll get into the negative details at some other point in a different area of the forum.
On a better note, I am studying biology in college. I'm part of a lab. I grow many plants including different deciduous trees, carnivorous plants, orchids, and tropical fruit trees. I'm academically advanced for my age but on the spectrum and thus socially inept. I have a large collection of live moths and a few butterfly species too. I work with native silkmoths in my research. I also have several amphibians and a goldendoodle.
I love to bake and keep active (actually I have a compulsive need to move a certain amount and burn off every calorie I take in). I work part time in a deli (ironic since I'm vegetarian trying to go vegan) and I'm a huge Kesha fan.
So that's a brief intro to me.
Also my username is seagull because I make a good seagull sound and seagull was my high school nickname until I lost too much weight and adopted nicknames suchas tapeworm and skeletor.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like seagull's post
20-02-2017, 09:41 PM
RE: My introduction
Welcome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Welcome aboard!
20-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Welcome, seagull, we're glad you found us!
20-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Hello! Big Grin

Hug
20-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a newbie too and always happy to meet those who are or will be scientists. My own field is geology and geophysics, but I'm a long way pst college, retired in fact.

You said you worked with silk moths. I've been reading lately that graphene has been combine with spider silk to make ultra strong thread. Can moth silk be treated that way too?

We're all bummed out by the current politics, but you can vent freely here. Just know that the number those who identify as non-religious in the USA is growing steadily. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Dorsie's post
20-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Man this place is becoming a zoo, literally haha welcome!

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
20-02-2017, 10:18 PM
(20-02-2017 10:01 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a newbie too and always happy to meet those who are or will be scientists. My own field is geology and geophysics, but I'm a long way pst college, retired in fact.

You said you worked with silk moths. I've been reading lately that graphene has been combine with spider silk to make ultra strong thread. Can moth silk be treated that way too?

We're all bummed out by the current politics, but you can vent freely here. Just know that the number those who identify as non-religious in the USA is growing steadily. Thumbsup
there are several moths used to make silk
Bombyx mori is the classic silkworm. These completely domesticated insects (that have no defense against predators-putting a few outside is a wasp magnet) are reared in China on mulberry. Larvae tolerate crowding and after spinning cocoons, the silk is treated and reeled for clothing and textiles.
Silkworms are often used for feeder insects. I rear them mostly for such purpose.
The eri silkmoth, Samia ricini is a polyhybrid domesticated moth from India. They can eat castor bean, ailanthus, tapioca, cherry, lilac, privet, and a bunch of other shit. They are larger than silkworms and the silk can be collected without killing the pupa in the cocoon. I have reared these too.
The chinese oak moth, Antheraea pernyi, is also domesticated for silk. It and other members of the genus Antheraea (yamamai especially) produce thick silk great for ropes and such. I rear a spring brood of these on crabapple and summer larvae on oak. Beech and birch also serve well and cherry laurel may be used in winter. I just induce mine to diapause and fridge cocoons.
Sometimes wild silk from large moths is also used. I have old Rothschildia cocoons as decorations.
Silk is sometimes used in medicine to line arteries or provide delicate stitching. Not sure if strong thread is made with moth silk but it wouldn't surprise me. Some moths make waterproof silk cocoons to protect themselves from cold and drought. Honestly some spp make excessively tough cocoons but since they arent overly harmful or costly they arent selected against
[+] 2 users Like seagull's post
20-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Welcome!
20-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Welcome!

Former Nutmegger here. Had family in R.I., too.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user