My introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 10:21 PM
RE: My introduction
Welcome, Seagull. Please don't poop on my windshield.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2017, 02:14 AM
I'm really disappointed your RL name isn't Cliff. But welcome!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
22-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Woo-hoo! Another CP fan! Welcome to the forum!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
22-02-2017, 08:53 PM
(21-02-2017 10:19 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 09:26 PM)seagull Wrote:  I work part time in a deli (ironic since I'm vegetarian trying to go vegan) and I'm a huge Kesha fan.

Hello Seagull. I wouldn't mind going vegetarian but don't really know how and besides there are some home situations that militate against it. However I've eaten at a couple of vegetarian restaurants and found the food excellent.

going vegetarian isn't terribly difficult. I started by omitting red meat and eventually dropped poultry, fish, and animal broth
the process took about 2 years
most of what I eat is inherently vegetarian anyway. I live on coffee, candy, and the occassional meal of some soup or pasta. I also love rutabaga and kale
I occassionally eat parmesian cheese but I am working on limiting my dairy intake. Trouble is egg and dairy is still rather ubiquitous. Omitting meat is pretty easy since most stuff with meat in it is easy to detect
22-02-2017, 08:56 PM
(22-02-2017 06:59 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Woo-hoo! Another CP fan! Welcome to the forum!

I have mostly Sarracenia but I have a vft and 3 sundew species (tracyi, filiformis, and capensis)
they are just regrowing now (except the capensis which are a few flats of 3 month old seedlings and the filiformis which has been going for a few months)
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post
22-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Hi Seagull!

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
22-02-2017, 09:41 PM
(21-02-2017 10:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Welcome, Seagull. Please don't poop on my windshield.

...or my lunch. I was at the beach many years ago, and a seagull crapped on my lunch. Angry
22-02-2017, 09:46 PM
(22-02-2017 08:56 PM)seagull Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 06:59 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Woo-hoo! Another CP fan! Welcome to the forum!

I have mostly Sarracenia but I have a vft and 3 sundew species (tracyi, filiformis, and capensis)
they are just regrowing now (except the capensis which are a few flats of 3 month old seedlings and the filiformis which has been going for a few months)

Sadly, I don't have the greenhouse space needed for Sarracenia in this climate. I have a slew of Drosera, including the usual binata weeds, and a small collection of VFTs. My wife got me two species of Utricularia for xmas and I just planted those. Nothing yet by I hear that they're tricky to spot.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-02-2017, 09:52 PM
(22-02-2017 09:46 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 08:56 PM)seagull Wrote:  I have mostly Sarracenia but I have a vft and 3 sundew species (tracyi, filiformis, and capensis)

Sadly, I don't have the greenhouse space needed for Sarracenia in this climate. I have a slew of Drosera, including the usual binata weeds, and a small collection of VFTs. My wife got me two species of Utricularia for xmas and I just planted those. Nothing yet by I hear that they're tricky to spot.
i'm in RI and i keep my CPs outside from early May-late November then the go into my attic until now and then they go into an unheated but warm and bright greenhouse
I like the skinny-leafed sundews and a few VFT cultivars with large traps
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post
23-02-2017, 05:16 PM
(22-02-2017 09:52 PM)seagull Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 09:46 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Sadly, I don't have the greenhouse space needed for Sarracenia in this climate. I have a slew of Drosera, including the usual binata weeds, and a small collection of VFTs. My wife got me two species of Utricularia for xmas and I just planted those. Nothing yet by I hear that they're tricky to spot.
i'm in RI and i keep my CPs outside from early May-late November then the go into my attic until now and then they go into an unheated but warm and bright greenhouse
I like the skinny-leafed sundews and a few VFT cultivars with large traps

You'd love Nibbler, my B-52. He was the one that started all this when my wife got him for me about a decade ago. He now overflows his pot and sorely needs to be divided. For thin-leaved sundews I like paradoxa and its friends. They have especially fast traps. D. binata is also fun and I have a large multifida that occupies a gallon pot.

June, July and August are the only frost-free months here. May and September can be done mostly outside if you watch the weather and haul everything indoors on chilly nights. The rest of the year I'd be growing popsicles. Unless I could manage a cellular fusion with kale. I swear that if I go out and shovel down deep enough I'll find that wretched stuff growing up through the snow and ice.

---