My journey to freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2015, 10:53 AM
My journey to freedom
Hello all! I’m a 27 year old male from Kentucky. As you can imagine, I live in the heart of Christian Country (or the bible belt as some might have heard of). I have been brought up as a Christian all of my life, even though from my teen years until now, I’ve always had my doubts. This past December (ironically around Christmas time) I finally accepted that if anything I’m Agnostic. I can’t for sure say that there is no God, however, I’m fairly certain that if there is, it’s not one that the religious world thinks it is. In other words, I think all organized religions are fooey. If there is a God, he created the universe and then went on his merry way doing other things.

Nothing in particular happened to make me drop organized religion. I’m not mad at God or anything. I just started using logic and starting thinking outside the box. I’ve always lived a “blessed” life, and I’m extremely happy with my family, job, and pretty much everything life has to offer me. That’s why I felt so guilty when I first stopped believing in God and Jesus Christ. I felt like I was turning my back on them and I would be struck down at first opportunity. Even worse, I have a 2 year old child, and I felt like I was putting her life in danger. I’m happy to say I don’t’ feel this way anymore. Since I’ve dropped religion, my life is still as happy go lucky as it has ever been and I still feel “blessed”.
I’m still trying to open my mind a little more. I’ve accepted Gay people, which I never really had a problem with in the first place. I still find transgendered people who self willingly have surgery to change their sex are a little strange. But as I grow older, I believe that the Christian ways I’ve grown up with, will begin to even themselves out.

I do struggle with the idea that I could become immoral. I posted in another thread that I’m afraid as I grow older, my censorship will begin to deteriorate. I’ve always tried to be professional and courteous of others and these are still traits that I want to keep throughout my life.

My in laws, whom are mighty Christians, have a really problem of acting “skanky”. They are the people that I swear that I will not ever be. We do not have a relationship with my Wife’s father and oldest sister. I’m completely fine with that, and I hope we never have a relationship with them ever again. In fact, my father in law is one of the reasons I decided Christianity is complete bullshit. Here is this great Christian man, however he is constantly talking about how “he is going to kill himself” when things are going south for him. Or brags about “how many women he slept with” when he was younger or “he had to kill people when they disrespected him” when he was younger. Keep in mind this is the ugliest sissy you’ll have meet in your life. When my Wife got pregnant, I told her that I don’t want our daughter to be around all that mess when he gets in one of those moods. Long story short, she wrote him a letter stating what problems we have and he never responded. Haven’t spoken with him in two years. His oldest daughter, my Wife’s oldest sister wrote nasty things to her and that abruptly ended our relationship with them.

I’ll quit rambling now. Thank you all for reading, and I’m glad to be apart of the group!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like NutraSteve's post
24-02-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: My journey to freedom
[Image: freedom-train-m-brotherhood-of-locomotiv...oleman.jpg]

Welcome aboard.
[+] 1 user Likes SajaaK's post
24-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Welcome, Natura! I'm glad you've been able to shed your feelings of guilt Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
24-02-2015, 05:20 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-02-2015, 06:02 PM
welcome!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
24-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Congratulations and welcome!

As for becoming immoral or losing your censorship don’t sweat it. It doesn’t happen, in fact your moral compass becomes stronger since you realize that you can’t “make it up” in an afterlife. You’ll become more loving to your family and those around you, trust me on this.

I live by the motto “A clear conscience is the softest pillow”, adopt it and carry on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-03-2015, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about "losing your morality". Religion didn't invent morality.

(24-02-2015 07:35 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Be sure to barbecue kittens

Mmmmmm, making my mouth water.
14-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Welcome to this forum Big Grin
I also am new.
I found your story to be very interesting and I have something to tell you.
I don't think you really know what being an atheist means.
You say that you place yourself as an agnostic person because you can't say whether god does exist or doesn't.
Being an atheist doesn't mean we are claiming the inexistence of God, we just lack the belief in god, but we can never be certain, we just follow the evidence and believe what is the most reasonable !
Well for me you're an atheist.

" Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. " - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user