My latest project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2013, 02:33 PM
RE: My latest project
(14-10-2013 12:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 04:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Are you asking us for anything?

Applause?
Accolades?
Critiques?

Just thought a few people here might be interested. Guess not.

Interested enough to watch it... i.e. 20 mins of my life spent on it earlier today (while moving apartment and trying not to weep 'cause of toothache).

No, no need for gratitude.

My question remains... do you want a critique?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2013, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2013 07:28 PM by Reltzik.)
(14-10-2013 02:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 12:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Just thought a few people here might be interested. Guess not.

Interested enough to watch it... i.e. 20 mins of my life spent on it earlier today (while moving apartment and trying not to weep 'cause of toothache).

No, no need for gratitude.

My question remains... do you want a critique?

Oh! Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. Yes, I'd like one. Though I already know the "long winded" and "can't produce" parts.

EDIT: That came off mean on my part. The reason I thought you were being sarcastic is that I'm an idiot. Entirely my fault.
15-10-2013, 05:11 AM
(14-10-2013 05:01 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Oh! Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. Yes, I'd like one. Though I already know the "long winded" and "can't produce" parts.

EDIT: That came off mean on my part. The reason I thought you were being sarcastic is that I'm an idiot. Entirely my fault.

Easy mistake to make.
Because I'm never sarcastic. Laughat

Ok then, I quick critique before my pain-killers wear off.

It's pretty obvious that this is...
a) something you care about (I mean who in their right mind would take on such a huge venture unless they cared about it)
b) something you are not used to doing.

So there is no issue with content but some areas for improvement regarding style.

Steve Shives is pretty good at it now but I would guess (only a guess) he started out a little nervously.

I suggest practicing in front of the mirror and in front of friends and try a few different styles (aggressive, sarcastic, passive aggressive etc.) to see what fits your voice.

To help with this, try imagining talking to different audiences i.e. children or atheists or theists; christian, non-christian or clergy etc.

Rule #1 in public speaking is Know your audience!

Vary your pace and tone more.

Moments of silence (short ones) can be very powerful.

It is obvious you are reading from a script. So is Steve and this guy too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWNW-NXEudk but I would guess they have put in many hours to make it look natural.

Also, note that they have chosen a tone fitting with an articulate/intelligent audience (rather than e.g. children).

Notice on that link that the vid starts with a quote. 20mins is long time to try to keep a fickle audience's attention. Perhaps some text appearing when you directly quote the book?

Those are just a few first thoughts.

I wish you well in your endeavour... the whole bible is a mega project and if you get it right (style and content) you could be producing an epic that who knows could be used in school around the globe.

No pressure.

Big Grin

15-10-2013, 09:07 AM
(15-10-2013 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 05:01 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Oh! Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. Yes, I'd like one. Though I already know the "long winded" and "can't produce" parts.

Easy mistake to make.
Because I'm never sarcastic. Laughat

Ok then, I quick critique before my pain-killers wear off.

It's pretty obvious that this is...
a) something you care about (I mean who in their right mind would take on such a huge venture unless they cared about it)
b) something you are not used to doing.

So there is no issue with content but some areas for improvement regarding style.

Steve Shives is pretty good at it now but I would guess (only a guess) he started out a little nervously.

I suggest practicing in front of the mirror and in front of friends and try a few different styles (aggressive, sarcastic, passive aggressive etc.) to see what fits your voice.

To help with this, try imagining talking to different audiences i.e. children or atheists or theists; christian, non-christian or clergy etc.

Rule #1 in public speaking is Know your audience!

Vary your pace and tone more.

Moments of silence (short ones) can be very powerful.

It is obvious you are reading from a script. So is Steve and this guy too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWNW-NXEudk but I would guess they have put in many hours to make it look natural.

Also, note that they have chosen a tone fitting with an articulate/intelligent audience (rather than e.g. children).

Notice on that link that the vid starts with a quote. 20mins is long time to try to keep a fickle audience's attention. Perhaps some text appearing when you directly quote the book?

Those are just a few first thoughts.

I wish you well in your endeavour... the whole bible is a mega project and if you get it right (style and content) you could be producing an epic that who knows could be used in school around the globe.

No pressure.

Big Grin

Thanks. You're right, viewing it again my performance needs a LOT of work. Getting text to appear on-screen would definitely be pushing my nonexistent technical abilities (says I, as I type and words appear on the screen), but the rest of it I can definitely do something about.

Hope your teeth feel better. Instead of, you know, hurting like that for the rest of your life? [SYMPATHY FAIL]
15-10-2013, 10:47 AM
(15-10-2013 09:07 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
Hope your teeth feel better. Instead of, you know, hurting like that for the rest of your life? [SYMPATHY FAIL]

Thanks, yes, the tooth is fine ... now it's sitting alone on the desk in front of me.

The pain has gone (praise science) but I have an 8-hour lecture to give tomorrow and there is a high probability that I'll be saliva-ing, dribbling and spraying my audience for at least the first half of the day.

Thumbsup