My little niece

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 10:51 PM
My little niece
So I got home last night, to find out my niece is in ICU. Walking in to find out that a fourteen month old baby was bitten and draged around by dog is one of the worst things I have had happen. I care deeply for her as the chances of ne having kids is slim to none.

On one hand I want to cry and tage and scream at the people she was with. I doubt I will ever completely trust them, but its not as if the baited the animal.

I just hate the fucking powerlessness. I want to just be able to do something anything. She is going into theatre in a few hours so they can assess the damage to he legs and back,and I am relieved she does not have any brain damage.

Why does shit like this have to happen to kids?She is to small to understand why she has to lay in a bed in pain, why we can't hold her and make it better.

I just wish I could do something.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 11:16 PM
RE: My little niece
(12-11-2014 10:51 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  So I got home last night, to find out my niece is in ICU. Walking in to find out that a fourteen month old baby was bitten and dragged around by dog is one of the worst things I have had happen. I care deeply for her as the chances of ne having kids is slim to none.

On one hand I want to cry and tage and scream at the people she was with. I doubt I will ever completely trust them, but its not as if the baited the animal.

I just hate the fucking powerlessness. I want to just be able to do something anything. She is going into theater in a few hours so they can assess the damage to he legs and back,and I am relieved she does not have any brain damage.

Why does shit like this have to happen to kids?She is to small to understand why she has to lay in a bed in pain, why we can't hold her and make it better.

I just wish I could do something.

Sadcryface

Hug

Seriously wishing yourself and especially your niece all the very best!
Find all posts by this user
13-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Wow, that is terrible. Best of luck to you and her.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Spend as much time as you can with her while she is recovering. That is all you can do as you wait, and she'll be grateful for your company. She shouldn't have to be alone going through this.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
13-11-2014, 10:58 AM
wow.

When I was in college I worked as an EMT on an ambulance, the calls with children were the worst because you just knew somehow, somewhere, some adult wasnt doing their job and now this poor innocent sweet babe is paying the price. It would bring out all sorts of emotions for those working to help.

Later as a parent, my own daughter was bit on the face by my sisters dog. We were visiting, arrived the night before, in the morning the kids were wound up, the dog was a formerly abused dog that was left for dead tied out back when my sister purchased the home. The dog was sleeping in a corner minding its own business and my three year old was two steps faster than my husband. She pounced on the old broken dog while it slept and it woke in pain and snapped at her. Holding my child while she received 9 stitches across her little baby face was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Vitamin E oil will help to reduce scarring on the new pink skin and will also serve as a barrier to keep germs out.

Your neices injuries sound very serious, I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery. As well as hope the owners of the dog(s) get what they deserve.

hugs to you.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
13-11-2014, 11:28 AM
She is stable for now, scheduled for theater tomorrow to fully asses the damage to her leg, there is a chance she may have some nerve damage, and the tendons suffered damage from the bite. I can't see her at the moment as much as I wish I could ,they are only letting her parents in. As much as I treat her like my own kid its better that way.

My poor sister is in so much shock she sounds like they force fed her tranquilizers, and I need them just to sleep more than three hours. Spent twelve hours at work trying to push it out of mind and failed. The pictures of her injuries were enough to make me ill, seeing them in person would be worse.

I feel so useless. I wish i were religious so I could find some comfort in prayer or anything.

Best I can do is offer what support i can to my kid sister, its hit her like a freight train.

Thanks for the support it helps. Hug

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
13-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Do what you can for them. It's hard when something like this happens. Take the frustration and put it to good use.

Sorry you have to deal with this and obviously that the little one is suffering.

Where is this dog? I take it the hospital have notified the appropriate authorities?

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-11-2014, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2014 11:46 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
they are probably only allowing your sister to visit at certain times, you can help by making sure she is eating some healthy food, she is probably only getting coffee and vending machine food. Or quick foods in the cafeteria. She needs to run home to shower, sleep, etc but probably doesnt want to leave just in case something happens. You can be the person in the waiting room for her so that she can feel better about leaving to care for herself. If she has other responsibilities to take care of (other kids, pets, grocery shopping, laundry) help with those. Lighten her load.

The nurses and doctors will care for your niece, your sister needs someone to care for her. Her stress level is probably out the roof.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
13-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Donate blood at the hospital. Even if you don't match your niece, you will match someone's niece.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-11-2014, 11:54 AM
(13-11-2014 11:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Donate blood at the hospital. Even if you don't match your niece, you will match someone's niece.

I wish i could, I am however medically disqualified from donating blood, part due to my weight and my health. We are doing everything we can and the whole family is helping with this, when a crisis strikes everyone pitches in.

I won't be able to visit the hospital till Saturday though due to my crazy work hours, but helping prep things for them and getting things done.
again thanks for everyone's support its helping me cope in a rather difficult situation.