My love story

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 11:27 AM
My love story
-0-
WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?
Hello everyone! I am writing my story here because 1- I need to vent in an environment in which I will find no criticism. 2- I believe in love because I met my one and only. 3- Because I'm hope I can end this writing with a happy ending.
One thing you should know about me. My mother language is Arabic, therefore, my English writing my seem a little weak.
I am writing here the story of how my boyfriend and I met. Why do I think that we are so special. About the great days I have lived with him. About all the difficulties we face as a young couple in Saudi Arabia. And about the day in which we got caught by the religious police and everything started to fall down, which was two days ago. I will not write our real names and will try to hide our real identities. If you are interested, keep on reading!

-1-
WHO ARE WE?
We are Nouf and Saud, a 20-year-old boy and girl from Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. We met in 2013 and fell in love ever since. I, Nouf, will be writing the story as Saud is out of my reach and the last thing I heard is that he's in jail.

Saud and I go to the same college, however, we go into separate sections as there's no mixing between boys and girls in my country. In April, 2013, a huge event was launching in my university, and everyone was invited boys and girls. It was on a Saturday. The event was so big, and my friends and I were walking around checking out everything. I have to mention something, the norm in Riyadh is for girls to cover their faces, I didn't, I was only covering my hair. Anyways, there were volunteers from the students to organize the event. Saud was one of them. He was responsible for the gates, to make sure men and women don't enter from the same gates and each through their corresponding gate. My friends and I didn't pay attention to that and went to the male's gate, and he stood by the gate and gently stopped us. He told us please ladies go from the other gate, I smiled at him in a hurry and said okay, but my friends didn't they told him we're already here let us in no one will know and we'll go immediately to the females seats. He said okay, and we went in. I don't recall him that day to be honest. However, the day after, Sunday. We went to the same event. I saw him there, and I remember how he caught my attention. How he captivated me from the first time I laid my eyes on him. He was talking to his friends and laughing without even looking at my side, but I kept looking, and I don't know what it was, but I felt something for him. I knew nothing about him, not his name, which college is he from, his age or if I'm ever going to see him again in my life.

Several days after the event, someone called Saud followed me on twitter. I had my child picture as display and he didn't put his own picture. He started to casually reply to my tweets, and I thought that was just a nice random guy. That's it.
As days passed, everyone was invited to another launching at the university. I went hoping to see him one more time. This random Saud guy, who turned to be from my college, asked me if I was coming and told me that he will. I didn't really care. I went there and looked for that guy but never found him. As I was riding the bus back from the auditorium to the college, my friend poked me and told me that there's a guy looking at me. I turned and it was him!! I immediately checked my twitter when I came back, and I found a direct message from him asking if that was me and telling me that that was him. I was so happy, because the nice random person who I have been talking to for a while now is the handsome guy I saw the other day. Yes, found him!

We started talking endlessly in twitter. We spent hours and hours talking casually. Then we started to text in the application kik. We'd stay up to 8 hours talking non-stop. You know that spark that shines when you like someone? yup that was it. However, I was so scared of my emotions. I was so scared of falling in love because love is so scary in this country. It can tear you apart as it did for us. You just should not fall in love in this county, however, I don't regret falling in love. He was so hesitant to tell me how he felt because he knows better. He knows if we decide to be in a relationship and anyone found out of my family, it would be the end me and maybe him. So, he came up with this silly story. He told me I know this one guy from college who likes you very much. What do you think he should do? well, I knew that he meant himself. I told him I feel sorry for that guy. It is his bad luck that made him like me as I am so empty, and I will never love anyone. He asked me why? I told him because I'm different. I'm different from everyone here in this country. By that I mean by being an atheist. I was so afraid of telling him as I was let down before by someone else. Atheism is a death sentence here. You will be disgraced for your atheism big time. No one will ever accept you, and if the authorities found out, it is literally a death sentence. So, I didn't want to put myself through all of this. I wanted to protect myself from any heart break that could happen to me, but damn it Saud was so charming.

I still remember the afternoon in which we had that talk. In which he asked me why wouldn't I love anyone. I told him I had a bad experience, and I am not willing to let myself fall for it again. I remember him saying will poor guy that guy he likes you so much. He thinks you're not empty at all, he thinks you're gorgeous and worth it all. He thinks that you should not let your past deceive and prevents you from experiencing the good in life. I told him I wish it was that easy. I wish I can do it. He told me I can. We talked about four hours that day about that in which I cried my eyes out for not being able to let my walls down for him as he seemed like a very nice guy. I remember I slept and woke up at the dawn. I spent so much time thinking. Then I decided to follow my guts and give him a chance. I talked to him in the morning and told him that I want to talk to him as soon as he gets out of college. I remember after the talk that he was afraid it was about cutting him off because he liked me so much he didn't mind being friend as long as we're around each other. However, as soon as he was back I told him that I liked him. I liked him ever since I saw him. He told me the same. He told me he couldn't stop thinking about me ever since he saw me. He showed me stuff that he wrote about me in a time I had no idea he existed. They were the most beautiful things ever. I still remember what he wrote about how my smile mesmerized him from the very first time. I felt glad that I told him. He promised me that he will never let me down. He promised me that he will never break my heart and that he will take a good care of me. He promised me he'd give me the world and now looking back at it. He did! I am crying as I'm writing this because I miss him so much and I can't wait till him and I get out of this dilemma.

well that's the story of how met! there's a lot more to come. If you're interested I can keep posting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Her's post
08-02-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: My love story
Waiting for the religion police - I think that is what everyone here is interested in. What happened?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-02-2014, 04:08 PM
(08-02-2014 03:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Waiting for the religion police - I think that is what everyone here is interested in. What happened?

Yeah, why do you think he's in jail? Is dating some sorta crime or something?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-02-2014, 04:10 PM
It's startling that you say atheism is a death sentence in Saudi Arabia. You see, I'm going there with my family this March, and I'm skeptical of their intentions and expectations of me. They enticed me by saying I'll be staying at a 5 star hotel and that I do not have to participate in their religious rules as normal. A part of me still feels they are just telling me they do not expect anything out of me as they know I'm an atheist going to a religious country, but I still feel they are making me go there in a last ditch attempt to convert me or something.

I like travelling, I like experiencing the food, the culture, the people, the foreign environment! But now from what you've told me I am a bit scared now of going. Could you please elaborate (specify and explain in detail; open up), on the point you made of how atheism is pretty much a big time disgrace? Also please specify on what Dom asked, about the religion police, I want to know how I can avoid this theocratic gestapo.

Sorry, I did not mean to de-rail your thread. Please answer my questions because I need your help as I am going to Saudi Arabia as an atheist, and also so we can help you by knowing more about the situation. Thanks.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
09-02-2014, 02:42 AM
What a beautiful story, Nouf. What a shame you are both in a place where you can't be yourselves. What are the risks posting here, are you sure you are not jeopardizing the future of your story turning into the happiness you hope it reaches? Wishing you the best... if you feel you'd like to share I'm sure many here would like to hear it. I'm just not so sure how people can help beyond a listening ear, though.
09-02-2014, 03:30 AM
(08-02-2014 04:10 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Sorry, I did not mean to de-rail your thread. Please answer my questions because I need your help as I am going to Saudi Arabia as an atheist, and also so we can help you by knowing more about the situation. Thanks.

Come on, surely you aren't gonna be wearing your atheism on your sleave.

With regard to the OP...I've got a strange feeling about this whole story.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
09-02-2014, 11:28 PM
(08-02-2014 04:10 PM)Freethought Wrote:  It's startling that you say atheism is a death sentence in Saudi Arabia. You see, I'm going there with my family this March, and I'm skeptical of their intentions and expectations of me. They enticed me by saying I'll be staying at a 5 star hotel and that I do not have to participate in their religious rules as normal. A part of me still feels they are just telling me they do not expect anything out of me as they know I'm an atheist going to a religious country, but I still feel they are making me go there in a last ditch attempt to convert me or something.

I like travelling, I like experiencing the food, the culture, the people, the foreign environment! But now from what you've told me I am a bit scared now of going. Could you please elaborate (specify and explain in detail; open up), on the point you made of how atheism is pretty much a big time disgrace? Also please specify on what Dom asked, about the religion police, I want to know how I can avoid this theocratic gestapo.

Sorry, I did not mean to de-rail your thread. Please answer my questions because I need your help as I am going to Saudi Arabia as an atheist, and also so we can help you by knowing more about the situation. Thanks.

being an apostate in Iran can see you on the inside of a prison cell for a long long time. As long as you keep your mouth shut, don't carry anything controversial. Leave your laptop or tablet at home or completely wipe it (which doesn't always work, well it didn't for Bill Gates) and maybe carry around a small copy of the Quran you should be fine.

How close are these family members? How old are you and what is the purpose of your visit? If they know you are an atheist why on earth would they expose you to something SA treats so harshly.

Apparently domestic life is amazing, lots of great parties and dancing and fantastic food, but the public life is radically different.
10-02-2014, 04:47 PM
(09-02-2014 11:28 PM)Pippen Wrote:  being an apostate in Iran can see you on the inside of a prison cell for a long long time. As long as you keep your mouth shut, don't carry anything controversial. Leave your laptop or tablet at home or completely wipe it (which doesn't always work, well it didn't for Bill Gates) and maybe carry around a small copy of the Quran you should be fine.

How close are these family members? How old are you and what is the purpose of your visit? If they know you are an atheist why on earth would they expose you to something SA treats so harshly.

Apparently domestic life is amazing, lots of great parties and dancing and fantastic food, but the public life is radically different.

Thank you for the good advice. As for your questions, my family members are my closest, (mom,dad,sisters), and they are really religious & muslim so hopefully the other people in SA may assume I am which is what my mom said.

I just turned 17 around 2 weeks ago, and the ''purpose'' of the visit is Umrah which is some sort of pilgrimage I'm guessing. They tell me I can do whatever I want there and don't have to do their religious things as they do not have any expectations for me.

My family isn't so good with boundaries and they constantly attempt to trick me into going to their mosque or make me come along to religious funerals in hopes that it make a muslim again. This may be another one of their ploys, although I am old enough to not have to be around them all of the time so I can go around and do my own secular thing!

I will be sure to feign to the religious atmosphere and fit in as best as possible, and even pretend if I have to if my life is at risk. Thank you for considering my situation and giving me some advice.

10-02-2014, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2014 09:19 PM by Pippen.)
(10-02-2014 04:47 PM)Freethought Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 11:28 PM)Pippen Wrote:  being an apostate in Iran can see you on the inside of a prison cell for a long long time. As long as you keep your mouth shut, don't carry anything controversial. Leave your laptop or tablet at home or completely wipe it (which doesn't always work, well it didn't for Bill Gates) and maybe carry around a small copy of the Quran you should be fine.

Thank you for the good advice. As for your questions, my family members are my closest, (mom,dad,sisters), and they are really religious & muslim so hopefully the other people in SA may assume I am which is what my mom said.

I just turned 17 around 2 weeks ago, and the ''purpose'' of the visit is Umrah which is some sort of pilgrimage I'm guessing. They tell me I can do whatever I want there and don't have to do their religious things as they do not have any expectations for me.

My family isn't so good with boundaries and they constantly attempt to trick me into going to their mosque or make me come along to religious funerals in hopes that it make a muslim again. This may be another one of their ploys, although I am old enough to not have to be around them all of the time so I can go around and do my own secular thing!

I will be sure to feign to the religious atmosphere and fit in as best as possible, and even pretend if I have to if my life is at risk. Thank you for considering my situation and giving me some advice.

TBH I would fake being into it or you will be spending a lot of time in your hotel room. I think it is a fascinating country but I would be doing a lot of research on what to expect while over there. I would also be sitting down with your parents and setting some really clear expectations on both sides. If they are seeing it as a pilgrimage and you are seeing it as a holiday then there is a lot of potential issues that need to be addressed. Also be prepared that they may seem quite different people in a new environment. Things that might not seem like such a big deal at home can become huge in a different culture.

Also by talking to them about it they may see it as you being interested and embracing their views, which always makes people happy. They might ease off you a bit. If they mention there is a nice young man from a good family they want to introduce you to, run for the hills! try and find this out before you go as you will not be able to leave the country without your father or husband.
10-02-2014, 09:51 PM
(10-02-2014 09:10 PM)Pippen Wrote:  If they are seeing it as a pilgrimage and you are seeing it as a holiday then there is a lot of potential issues that need to be addressed. Also be prepared that they may seem quite different people in a new environment. Things that might not seem like such a big deal at home can become huge in a different culture.

Also by talking to them about it they may see it as you being interested and embracing their views, which always makes people happy. They might ease off you a bit. If they mention there is a nice young man from a good family they want to introduce you to, run for the hills! try and find this out before you go as you will not be able to leave the country without your father or husband.

Yeah, I might not have to worry about that too much as I'm a guy, so I'm lucky I don't have to cover myself like women over there. I guess there will be other things that I will have to look out for, such as not being in a public atmosphere when the muslims are praying, or responding to greetings in the religious traditional sense just to not draw any attention to myself.

Good call on the whole introduction of a husband or wife situation. My family is especially accustomed at arranging marriages to keep the culture going, so the whole idea of that doesn't seem too incredulous.

There may be conflicts as to how we see it, so I've clearly discussed with my family on this issue. It's always good to be upfront, just to know why I'm going there and what the goal is. However, I'm still not prepared at whatever anticipated curve-ball they're going to throw at me next. A bride? Who knows!