My love story

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2014, 10:59 PM
RE: My love story
(10-02-2014 09:51 PM)Freethought Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 09:10 PM)Pippen Wrote:  If they are seeing it as a pilgrimage and you are seeing it as a holiday then there is a lot of potential issues that need to be addressed. Also be prepared that they may seem quite different people in a new environment. Things that might not seem like such a big deal at home can become huge in a different culture.

Also by talking to them about it they may see it as you being interested and embracing their views, which always makes people happy. They might ease off you a bit. If they mention there is a nice young man from a good family they want to introduce you to, run for the hills! try and find this out before you go as you will not be able to leave the country without your father or husband.

Yeah, I might not have to worry about that too much as I'm a guy, so I'm lucky I don't have to cover myself like women over there. I guess there will be other things that I will have to look out for, such as not being in a public atmosphere when the muslims are praying, or responding to greetings in the religious traditional sense just to not draw any attention to myself.

Good call on the whole introduction of a husband or wife situation. My family is especially accustomed at arranging marriages to keep the culture going, so the whole idea of that doesn't seem too incredulous.

There may be conflicts as to how we see it, so I've clearly discussed with my family on this issue. It's always good to be upfront, just to know why I'm going there and what the goal is. However, I'm still not prepared at whatever anticipated curve-ball they're going to throw at me next. A bride? Who knows!

Opps! sorry. I am just coming from it as a woman and made a big assumption. All the people I know who have lived there have been women. I hope you like shopping because your sisters will probably want to go and do some and guess who will have to go with them?

I hope you get to do some of the fun stuff rather than just the religious pilgrimage. They virtually never grant visas for tourists as such so it really is quite an amazing opportunity. I haven't got a hope in hell of ever going there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pippen's post
11-02-2014, 12:43 AM
(08-02-2014 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 03:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Waiting for the religion police - I think that is what everyone here is interested in. What happened?

Yeah, why do you think he's in jail? Is dating some sorta crime or something?

The Quran is the constitution of Saudi Arabia--I am not being hyperbolic or figurative, it is actually the constitution of Saudi Arabia. Hence the law of the land is divine law, i.e. sharia.

Virginity is highly valued in brides so sex outside of marriage is both illegal and taboo. Saying that virginity is highly valued is something of an understatement because the shame of having a non-virginal daughter is so great that it can prompt honour killing by members of the "unchaste" women's family.

I have excerpted this from CultureShock! A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette: Saudi Arabia by North and Tripp.

[Image: 2m7c1av.png]

Note that merely consorting with the opposite sex is sufficient.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Nouf,

Don't bookmark this website or any other websites that are related to atheism or that are critical of the Saud royal family.

After visiting any sites that the religious police would not approve of you should run something like CCleaner to remove any record of your visits.

If you have electronic books that are on atheism or that are critical of Islam or the royal family you should store them in an encrypted virtual drive using something like TrueCrypt. If you use an e-book reader don't put any "problem" books on that device.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2014, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 01:09 AM by sporehux.)
(11-02-2014 12:53 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Nouf,

Don't bookmark this website or any other websites that are related to atheism or that are critical of the Saud royal family.

After visiting any sites that the religious police would not approve of you should run something like CCleaner to remove any record of your visits.

If you have electronic books that are on atheism or that are critical of Islam or the royal family you should store them in an encrypted virtual drive using something like TrueCrypt. If you use an e-book reader don't put any "problem" books on that device.
I cant get into it, but I help a group of people in a not so dissimilar oppression.

Use Truecrypt as chippy mentioned, but use the hidden volume option on configuration, where you set two passwords, one opens your gun to the head area and one is for the real stuff.

Download and install Firefox portable, and put it in the secret drive. No trace evidence left outside the secure zone then.
Http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-02-2014, 08:27 AM
(10-02-2014 04:47 PM)Freethought Wrote:  My family isn't so good with boundaries and they constantly attempt to trick me into going to their mosque or make me come along to religious funerals in hopes that it make a muslim again. This may be another one of their ploys, although I am old enough to not have to be around them all of the time so I can go around and do my own secular thing!

Knowing that your family tries to trick you…….I would *NOT* be on that trip.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller