• 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2015, 09:46 AM
RE: My mom has cancer.
Sorry to hear this KC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2015, 11:16 AM
(03-03-2015 08:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  She has large B-cell lymphoma.

This is killing me. I don't want to lose my mom. She was always the healthy one - compared to my dad, anyway. We always thought we would lose him long before my mom. Now, I just don't know. I can't imagine life without her.

She goes to the doctor tomorrow where they will be giving her more info such as the stage of the cancer and treatments.

I'm holding it together on the outside, but on the inside I'm a mess.

Oh damn KC, I am truly sorry...you will be in my thoughts..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2015, 12:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_lar...#Prognosis

Quote:The germinal-center subtype has the best prognosis,[35] with 66.6% of treated patients surviving more than five years.[38] The IPI score is used in prognosis in clinical practice. [39] Lenalidomide has been recently shown to improve outcomes in the non-germinal center subtype.[40]

For children with diffuse large B-cell lymphomas, most studies have found 5-year survival rates ranging from about 70% to more than 90%.[4

You're correct to want to know what the stage and other relevant data is. As with any cancer, catching it early is the best shot for successful treatment. Mario Lemieux beat lymphoma and returned to play in the NHL.

Best of luck to you all.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
05-03-2015, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 06:41 AM by Chas.)
I'm saddened by the news of your mother's illness. We all hope for a good outcome and you know you have friends here to lean on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your mum.

I currently know of 3 people going through early stages of diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Two of those people are close to me.

Cancer is very complex and scary.
I think there is value in doing research yourself, but if you go down that path you need to brace yourself, and try not to jump to quick conclusions.

My main interest recently has been to try and assess the prognosis (risk). I like to know the numbers. i.e. median life expectancy, 5 year survival rate, disease free rate etc.

Hearing about someone (that you care about) has a serious cancer (one of my close people has a cancer with a general prognosis of 10 month life expectancy and less that 10% chance for 5 year survival) can be traumatic. For the first few days I felt in morning, as if this person was dead already. After much research I have concluded that his prognosis is better than first thought as he fits in a favourable sub group, but still it's not very good, but it gives a little more hope than first thought. I will be keen to find out what his doctor has assessed as his prognosis. There are many factors involved, and I don't know the intracate details of my person's exact situation. But I am a detail person and I don't necessarily trust the doctors.

Anyway, for me I have found a few sites quite useful, there are medical papers published online with case studies and reports that analyse certain aspects of the disease, trying to find out what are the predictive factors regarding impact on life expectancy and 5 year survival rates, also trying to work out what is the best treatment to use. It can take some time to get up to speed with the medical terminology, but it is do-able. Early on I read some articles that left me scratching my head, but after a week of further research I have gone back to those earlier articles and feel comfortable that I can understand them.

I think it also pays to look for information on how you can personally support someone who is dealing with cancer. You are also in a difficult situation. Feelings of helplessness, worry, stress, confusion etc. Don't underestimate your own situation on this.
06-03-2015, 02:40 PM
(03-03-2015 08:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  She has large B-cell lymphoma.

This is killing me. I don't want to lose my mom. She was always the healthy one - compared to my dad, anyway. We always thought we would lose him long before my mom. Now, I just don't know. I can't imagine life without her.

She goes to the doctor tomorrow where they will be giving her more info such as the stage of the cancer and treatments.

I'm holding it together on the outside, but on the inside I'm a mess.

That always sucks for anyone going through that. I can identify. While my mom is for the most part healthy she does have health issues. Been in the hospital for serious issues in the past, and even now she still has mobility problems, and every time she talks funny or looks tired I get worried. They are going to check a lump next week. Never easy to go through no matter what a loved one may have.

Get support from your family and friends and talk about here if you need to. You are not alone.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
06-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Many here know that I have been down that crappy cancer road. I have one suggestion based on my experience...don't be afraid to get a second opinion. I found along the way that different states and even different institutions with the same state follow certain protocols. Hear what the first doctor has to say, do some research, and go to another doctor with all the labs and other reports available. There is often more than one way to step into the cancer mess especially if it's diagnosed early, which I hope was the case.

My first oncologist after my mastectomies wanted to start me immediately on some pretty wicked chemo. I was given the name of another doctor at another hospital who is a researcher...I did no chemo and no radiation and after five years I am cancer free.

If the second doctor agrees with the first one, you are only out a couple of hours and you will be more confident in the diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment.

You know how to reach me if you want/need to.

Edited to add - don't make decisions based totally on fear.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
12-03-2015, 09:17 PM
I was thinking of you and your Mom this evening, hoping you have some good news ?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-03-2015, 06:51 PM
No idea what I could say to make ya feel better. Perhaps this is a situation where that would be the wrong thing to do.

So, I will simply be here if you want to talk about it some more. If ya can think of anything ya want or need from all of us. Just ask.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
15-03-2015, 06:40 PM
*hugs tight*

*hugs even tighter*

I'm so sorry to hear this

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson