My mom is an anti vaxxer...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2018, 06:23 PM
My mom is an anti vaxxer...
So relatively recently I found out that my mom is against vaccines.
The only immunisations I have for sure are chickenpox and whooping cough because I had those two deceases.

But what else? No fucking idea.

I was vaccinated against hepatitis A and B once, when we were going to travel for a holiday.
I know that I was vaccinated against Tetanus when I got hurt.
But I also know that these two need to be refreshed and while hepatitis is not really needed in Europe, Tetanus is a good idea.

I think I might be vaccinated for measels? Not sure...
Rubella I think I am vaccinated as I was born female and I think it is rubella that is so damn dangerous when you are pregnant and get it.

I find it super frustrating that I don't know what I am vaccinated for. My immune system is really bad and I catch pretty much every bug that goes around. With my asthma, every cold and flu settles comfy in my lungs and makes it a living hell every time. I really can't afford to get sick from things that I can be vaccinated against.

I wonder if there is a test that I can have done to see what vaccinations I am missing and to get those now... I may have to check that with my GP.

But yea. As much as I love my mom, this is super frustrating...
After she told me that she is against vaccines because chemicals etc, when I tried to explain how important vaccinations are and that it is not just about the individual etc, she changed the topic.
She is so intelligent, I cannot understand her opinion at all. There was no good reasoning at all...

meh... No

2+2=4
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2018, 06:47 PM
RE: My mom is an anti vaxxer...
You might be able to get a vaccination record from your family doctor. There are also blood tests that can be done to determine what you're immune to.

I got really, really sick from the flu nine years ago. Ever since then I've gotten a flu shot every fall as soon as it becomes available. Seems to be working so far.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tip Astreja.
Problem is, we never had a family doctor really. We moved pretty much once or twice a year until I was 11 or so. And after that we still moved about every other year until I was 17. So we never stuck with one doctor long and I have no idea at all who those doctors were.
But I may have them check me for it and then get the vaccinations now.

2+2=4
20-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Get your GP to start you on the recommended schedule for vaccinations. (S)he will know what you can/should get. You are old enough it should have no effect on what would have been childhood vaccinations.

Better late than never.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
20-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Ah, shitty. My mother has been getting into a lot of law of attraction type magic stuff lately. I tried explaining to her that visualization without action = a fantasy. Whereas action without visualization will still yield results. She brushes these things off and always gives me nonsense answers or changes the subject, so I just leave it alone. Difference is your mom's stance on vaccines can possibly mean you are susceptible to certain diseases. I'd certainly at least see a doctor if I were you. Maybe you'd be wasting your time but rather that than seeing in the news "Local Man Revives Ancient Strain of Polio"
20-02-2018, 08:14 PM
I've forgotten---did you ever go to college? I don't know about there but in the US we had to show proof of all kinds of vaccinations before entering, or get boosters. If that's the case there, see if you can find out from your college if they have a shot record. And as it turns out, a lot of those childhood vaccines are not truly good for life anyway. I'm with Anjele---better safe than sorry.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
20-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Oh Rob...that totally sucks.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-02-2018, 08:43 PM
When I was growing up there was no vaccination for chicken pox. It's not the most dangerous of childhood viruses but still, somehow I never contracted it as a little kid. But guess what, I came down with chicken pox on my 19th birthday and I'm tellin you, it was no fun. I had chicken pox all over my body. It was on the palms of my hands and the bottom of my feet. Some were inside my mouth and under my tongue. They turned black and I looked like I had weird cigarette burns all over my body. My mother was very worried about me. I was one sick teenager.

Today I still have white spots on my arms and legs where the pox were because it distroyed the melanin in my skin but I'm very light skinned so it's not too bad but if I tan at all they really show up. If any of the pox had gotten into my throat or lungs it could have caused a load of problems. I sure wish there had been a chicken pox vaccine when I was a kid.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-02-2018, 07:03 AM
Get vaccinated for anything you are concerned about.
There is no reason not to.
It doesn't cause any problems if you were previously vaccinated.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
21-02-2018, 07:09 AM

(20-02-2018 08:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was growing up there was no vaccination for chicken pox. It's not the most dangerous of childhood viruses but still, somehow I never contracted it as a little kid. But guess what, I came down with chicken pox on my 19th birthday and I'm tellin you, it was no fun. I had chicken pox all over my body. It was on the palms of my hands and the bottom of my feet. Some were inside my mouth and under my tongue. They turned black and I looked like I had weird cigarette burns all over my body. My mother was very worried about me. I was one sick teenager.

Today I still have white spots on my arms and legs where the pox were because it distroyed the melanin in my skin but I'm very light skinned so it's not too bad but if I tan at all they really show up. If any of the pox had gotten into my throat or lungs it could have caused a load of problems. I sure wish there had been a chicken pox vaccine when I was a kid.

I had chicken pox when I was 16 and it was awful. My younger sister and brother had them first and I had that amount of pox on me, plus some. Light hurt my eyes so I spent a week in the TV room we had in the basement. My kids all had chicken pox when they were young and they breezed through it. In fact, my older daughter had them when my son was born...now there's a juggling act. Undecided

A cousin of mine caught them from his kids when he was 23...said it was the sickest he has ever been in his life.

I also had mumps when I was about seven...that was miserable too. I am so glad that kids can avoid those diseases now if they are vaccinated.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post