My mom is an anti vaxxer...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2018, 08:03 AM
RE: My mom is an anti vaxxer...
(20-02-2018 06:23 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So relatively recently I found out that my mom is against vaccines...

Ask her to read through this RationalWiki site, and see what she thinks of it. It may have some stuff that she's less than fully aware of. I guess rather than outright anger, I'm instead increasingly fearful of the anti-vaxxer movement, particularly as it's gained so much traction here in Australia.

You could also ask her if she knows anything about the pre-vaccination Spanish flu pandemic that killed 3% to 5% of the world's population between 1918 and 1920, or as many as 50 deaths per 1,000 people.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2018, 08:26 AM
(20-02-2018 06:23 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So relatively recently I found out that my mom is against vaccines.
The only immunisations I have for sure are chickenpox and whooping cough because I had those two deceases.

But what else? No fucking idea.

I was vaccinated against hepatitis A and B once, when we were going to travel for a holiday.
I know that I was vaccinated against Tetanus when I got hurt.
But I also know that these two need to be refreshed and while hepatitis is not really needed in Europe, Tetanus is a good idea.

I think I might be vaccinated for measels? Not sure...
Rubella I think I am vaccinated as I was born female and I think it is rubella that is so damn dangerous when you are pregnant and get it.

I find it super frustrating that I don't know what I am vaccinated for. My immune system is really bad and I catch pretty much every bug that goes around. With my asthma, every cold and flu settles comfy in my lungs and makes it a living hell every time. I really can't afford to get sick from things that I can be vaccinated against.

I wonder if there is a test that I can have done to see what vaccinations I am missing and to get those now... I may have to check that with my GP.

But yea. As much as I love my mom, this is super frustrating...
After she told me that she is against vaccines because chemicals etc, when I tried to explain how important vaccinations are and that it is not just about the individual etc, she changed the topic.
She is so intelligent, I cannot understand her opinion at all. There was no good reasoning at all...

meh... No

Your doctor should be able to help you with getting vaccinations. It doesn't really matter what you were vaccinated against as a child. When I went into the military, they didn't ask for our vaccination records. They just marched us through a room with both sleeves rolled up while they vaxxed us left and right with pretty much every vaccination imaginable.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 2 users Like Yonadav Kenyon's post
21-02-2018, 09:56 AM
`Don`t feel too bad; regardless of whether you were vaccinated as a child, you`d probably need boosters now as an adult anyways.
See your doctor.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
21-02-2018, 02:23 PM
I hope she knows everything is chemicals...right? Obviously some are far more harmful than others, but even a banana can sound scary if you refer to it by its chemical makeup.

[Image: All-Natural-Banana.jpg]

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post