My morning in family court

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 07:22 PM
My morning in family court
My wife and I have a friend who is having some issues with her ex (we jokingly call her "our 30 year old adopted daughter" and we refer to her two kids as "the grandchildren" -- which really ain't funny because I'm not even 47 yet). Anyway, she's fighting with her ex over custody (she wants full legal custody) and child support (she wants more from her deadbeat, asshole ex). She is very intimated by him and asked if I would go to court with her this morning. So, I took the morning off and went to family court as moral support for a friend. We get there, and she is in for a mediation hearing in which only her and the asshole are invited to intend and I'm left in the waiting area to observe the comings and goings of my fellow citizens who need the services of the court system. And, after watching the flow of humanity and listening in on their conversations, I can only say this:

Holy fucking shit, there are some seriously fucked up people on this planet. And, they have kids.

I don't even know where to begin. Do I start with the woman seeking full custody for her son and expects to get it because dad couldn't get out of jail in order to make the hearing? Or the guy who flew up from Florida seeking to take back custody from the ex-boyfriend of his ex-wife who apparently has a heroin problem and "sold" the two kids to the ex boyfriend for $1,000 and he is now raising them and doesn't want to surrender them back to the father. (as a side note - I think the ex boyfriend who "bought" these children was the sanest person in that meeting, including dad's really stupid lawyer - if I was the judge, that's who I'd give the kids too).

When my friend came out of her mediation hearing, I told her that she can take heart in the fact that there a a whole lot of people who's lives and situations are dramatically more fucked up than hers.

Man, people are sick and crazy. I already learned that lesson being involved with rescuing dogs for the past 18 months, but this was just a new level of "what?!" for me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
12-11-2015, 07:27 PM
RE: My morning in family court
(12-11-2015 07:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  We get there, and she is in for a mediation hearing in which only her and the asshole are invited to intend ...

They're expected to go to mediation alone without professional counsel and representation and advocacy? I wouldn't fucking do it. That would be stupid.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-11-2015, 07:33 PM
(12-11-2015 07:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  My wife and I have a friend who is having some issues with her ex (we jokingly call her "our 30 year old adopted daughter" and we refer to her two kids as "the grandchildren" -- which really ain't funny because I'm not even 47 yet). Anyway, she's fighting with her ex over custody (she wants full legal custody) and child support (she wants more from her deadbeat, asshole ex). She is very intimated by him and asked if I would go to court with her this morning. So, I took the morning off and went to family court as moral support for a friend. We get there, and she is in for a mediation hearing in which only her and the asshole are invited to intend and I'm left in the waiting area to observe the comings and goings of my fellow citizens who need the services of the court system. And, after watching the flow of humanity and listening in on their conversations, I can only say this:

Holy fucking shit, there are some seriously fucked up people on this planet. And, they have kids.

I don't even know where to begin. Do I start with the woman seeking full custody for her son and expects to get it because dad couldn't get out of jail in order to make the hearing? Or the guy who flew up from Florida seeking to take back custody from the ex-boyfriend of his ex-wife who apparently has a heroin problem and "sold" the two kids to the ex boyfriend for $1,000 and he is now raising them and doesn't want to surrender them back to the father. (as a side note - I think the ex boyfriend who "bought" these children was the sanest person in that meeting, including dad's really stupid lawyer - if I was the judge, that's who I'd give the kids too).

When my friend came out of her mediation hearing, I told her that she can take heart in the fact that there a a whole lot of people who's lives and situations are dramatically more fucked up than hers.

Man, people are sick and crazy. I already learned that lesson being involved with rescuing dogs for the past 18 months, but this was just a new level of "what?!" for me.

Take heart my friend there are good ones too. Look at those here who support others, medical staff etc. Think of Nurse. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Girly - they can bring lawyers if they want but neither of them did so. I was there in an unofficial capacity (which is good because I have zero qualifications to represent someone in family court).

Banjo - I think about Nurse all the time. Even more so now that I've seen pictures ...... or, is that not what you meant ...... Angel

[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
12-11-2015, 07:43 PM
(12-11-2015 07:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  Holy fucking shit, there are some seriously fucked up people on this planet. And, they have kids.

Thruthiness!

[Image: dysfunctional_family_survivor_tshirt_p23...l7_400.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
12-11-2015, 08:24 PM
I am waiting for the family court date that is bound to occur in a few months. My younger daughter has some serious issues, I don't dispute that. But baby daddy number 2 keeps threatening to take their son from her - when he gets released from fucking prison - after finally getting locked up for multiple drug offenses and bank fraud.

Yeah, go for it asshole - you took a two year old to a meth lab. Dumb ass.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
12-11-2015, 08:28 PM
The nice thing about your friends being in court is that there will be a formal agreement that will be grounds for further action, if there's abuse. The not-so-nice thing is the crap shoot of kids' experience of divorce, some good and some incredibly bad. It sounds great that you are able to support your friend in this tough time.
12-11-2015, 08:30 PM
(12-11-2015 07:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  Holy fucking shit, there are some seriously fucked up people on this planet. And, they have kids.

I'm surprised it took you almost 47 years to reach this conclusion.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
12-11-2015, 08:30 PM
My friend's ex-asshole threatened that too. She freaked out and I had to talk her off the ledge. I simply explained that people who work family court on the a daily basis have probably seen and heard it all. They are going to finger her ex as the douchebag he is pretty quickly, and they are going to realize that he wasn't interested in custody until she came after him for more money. It's not that hard to figure out.

As for your daughter's ex - how stupid does he think the judges and lawyers really are? "Hey, here's a guy who just got out of jail. I bet he provides a much more stable environment for the kid. Let's grant him custody". He will be lucky if he gets unsupervised visits, much less custody.

12-11-2015, 08:31 PM
(12-11-2015 08:30 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  

I'm surprised it took you almost 47 years to reach this conclusion.

I'm forever the optimist. And, I'm a pretty slow learner. It's a bad combination.