My most formidable adversary ever.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2011, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 04:00 AM by MasterRottweiler.)
RE: My most formidable adversary ever.
@tedgresham: Yeah I agree with you, when I was in highschool, I took philosophy classes because they were part of the educational program back then, and even at that point I knew that philosophy is not an absolute science because it relies on biased reasonings depending on the philosopher perception, and therefore they are biased because no philosopher is unbiased.

For example, the ontological argument given by Anselm of Canterbury which is btw the father of ontological argument was criticized by Immanuel Kant, when I used Kant's critique to this cosmological argument and metaphysiscs, he responded that he didnt agree with Kant, I think its because Kant's Antinomies were in conflict with his personal ideology, that's why I cannot consider philosophy as an absolute mean to explain not only materialistic world but all reality, btw he stated that philosophy and metaphysics study ALL reality which is plain simply dumb and illogical.

But anyway, as I said before, this so called philosopher have not answered to the logical counter-argument posted by another atheist on that forum, and If he do it I'll translate it and post it here becuse the blog I'm talking about is mexican, and I am mexican so I need to translate it for you to read it. Peace and thanks Big Grin.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 02:58 AM

(05-05-2011 03:46 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  LOL good points, I have told him yesterday about how this proves the spaghetti monster, but he replied; "you call it the Spaghetti monster, I call it the "necesary being", you are not disproving god, you are just giving it the name of spaghetti monster" Confused. Probably my tendency to get confused by his arguments its because I am not a philosopher, I didnt study philosophy like he did as a career. What I mean is that this guy is not a joke, he is not using any religious denomination, he's just asking us to prove wrong Aquinas.

But your point is that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a necessary being. Essentially, your counter argument with the Spaghetti Monster is a reduction to the absurdity of his. This is why the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists. Following religious apologetics to their own logically absurd conclusion.

I would like to see an argument which proves a being is necessary. The universe can exist without 'beings' but beings cannot exist without a universe.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itry2brational's post
10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
(12-05-2011 12:30 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(11-05-2011 11:30 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  I've been doing a lot of research about philosophic arguments in order to be better prepared if another wild philosopher appears Big Grin.
*A wild philosopher appears*
*MasterRotweiller, I choose you*
*MasterRotweiller uses "knowledge"*
*It's super effective!*

LOL Loving the Pokemon lines! Big Grin

Would give you a+1 Rep if I knew how to do so Confused.

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
10-06-2011, 11:12 PM
(10-06-2011 06:27 PM)Maumin Wrote:  Would give you a+1 Rep if I knew how to do so Confused.
on any of his posts, click on his reputation amount (for example if it says Reputation: 10, click on the 10), and then click the Rate User button

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
11-06-2011, 04:27 AM
(10-06-2011 11:12 PM)Efrx86 Wrote:  
(10-06-2011 06:27 PM)Maumin Wrote:  Would give you a+1 Rep if I knew how to do so Confused.
on any of his posts, click on his reputation amount (for example if it says Reputation: 10, click on the 10), and then click the Rate User button
Rep can only be given after a certain amount of time. Your name will turn blue then.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
01-07-2011, 06:28 PM
(05-05-2011 04:11 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  (I majored in Philosophy for 2 years before changing majors).

Hey, me too (except I went 3 years before changing)! I really dug metaphysics and epistemology before the wife got pregnant and I realized a degree in Computer Science might be more prudent (and Comp Sci always has AI for those with a philosophical bent, so that's where I focused my post-graduate efforts). Where'd you end up?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-07-2011, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 06:46 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(01-07-2011 06:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-05-2011 04:11 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  (I majored in Philosophy for 2 years before changing majors).

Hey, me too (except I went 3 years before changing)! I really dug metaphysics and epistemology before the wife got pregnant and I realized a degree in Computer Science might be more prudent (and Comp Sci always has AI for those with a philosophical bent, so that's where I focused my post-graduate efforts). Where'd you end up?

...Comp Sci as well. Strange. I still like Philosophy better, but apparently you need to have a doctorate in it, be 70 years old with a giant white beard and smoking a pipe before anyone will take you seriously and pay you for your ideas.

So I figured I'd get paid lots of money for sitting in a chair in an air conditioned office typing code. The least physically strenuous job on the planet. Of course I'll still probably end up as manager at Subway or something.
(My apologies to any managers of Subway that might be reading this)

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM

(01-07-2011 06:43 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(01-07-2011 06:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

...Comp Sci as well. Strange. I still like Philosophy better, but apparently you need to have a doctorate in it, be 70 years old with a giant white beard and smoking a pipe before anyone will take you seriously and pay you for your ideas.

So I figured I'd get paid lots of money for sitting in a chair in an air conditioned office typing code. The least physically strenuous job on the planet. Of course I'll still probably end up as manager at Subway or something.

Weird. I started to study philosophy but changed quickly because I was completely aimless at 18. I later studied computer and information technology and minored in business. Maybe studying computers and the like is indicative of an interest in logic and reasoning which can lead to atheism.
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 07:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-07-2011 06:43 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...Comp Sci as well. Strange.

Hmmm ... I'm thinking maybe not so strange. Someone trained to think rationally in the abstract should easily be able to take up programming in the concrete.

(01-07-2011 06:43 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I still like Philosophy better, but apparently you need to have a doctorate in it, be 70 years old with a giant white beard and smoking a pipe before anyone will take you seriously and pay you for your ideas.

That's the way I saw it too. It's probably as it should be, I don't want to waste my time considering just anybody's willy-nilly metaphysics and wildass drug-induced conjectures.

(01-07-2011 06:43 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So I figured I'd get paid lots of money for sitting in a chair in an air conditioned office typing code. The least physically strenuous job on the planet.

On Sunday I work on the NY Time's crossword puzzle. Monday-Friday I work on solving far simpler puzzles with software. On Saturday, I drink heavily.

(01-07-2011 06:43 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Of course I'll still probably end up as manager at Subway or something.

At least one of my software engineering colleagues bought a Subway franchise after he retired. It went under.

(01-07-2011 07:06 PM)itry2brational Wrote:  Maybe studying computers and the like is indicative of an interest in logic and reasoning which can lead to atheism.

You mean like some sort of latent hidden variable which explains the correlation. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-08-2011, 12:12 PM
The person MasterRottweiler is debating with either is Eric Reitan (which I doubt) or is using Eric Reitan's book, Is God a Delusion? A Reply to Religion's Cultured Despisers as a template. Reitan is a professor of philosophy at Oklahoma State University--and a theist. It's a very well written book, you should read it. Two major points that Reitan makes when he discusses Aquinas's 5 ways and the cosmological argument are: one, that through some revisions with the help of Leibniz, Clarke, Kant, Hume, Anselm, etc., Reitan concludes that these (admittedly) strong arguments only prove the existence of a necessary and transcendent being; two, that this argument is entirely dependent on the Principle of Sufficient Reason. If you deny the PSR, the argument crumbles. Reitan then goes on to say that the PSR is not necessarily true or false; or in other words, one can be a reasonable person either believing or not believing it to be the case. Therefore, while not necessarily true, it is reasonable to believe in a necessary, transcendent being.

You should read his book, I am not doing it justice in a paragraph on an online forum.