"My neighbor gave my 8-year-old toy dinosaurs" *facepalm*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2011, 06:52 PM
RE: "My neighbor gave my 8-year-old toy dinosaurs" *facepalm*
(09-08-2011 05:47 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(09-08-2011 05:29 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(09-08-2011 05:01 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I had dinosaur toys as a kid and I'm an atheist I wonder if the two are connected Tongue

I LOVED my toy dinosaurs growing up!!! Give me a box of Lego, some Play Doh and my dinosaurs, and you'd keep me amused for hours. Way better than videogames.

You just described part of my childhood, before i got my first console it was either a sega mega drive or the original gameboy I can't remember which. I had loads of dinosaur toys my first was one of the velocerapters from jurrasic park. I still have it in a box in a cupboard along with my starwars figures Big Grin

I had really cheap ones so the T-Rex wouldn't really stand on its 2 legs, it would always fall off... But my sister and I would totally fight over the triceratops. Wink

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Strange how 8 year olds playing with dinosaurs are already smarter than theist adults. That's probably where all the hostility comes from. Keep the knowledge away from children so that they stay on the same intellectual level as creationists.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-08-2011, 07:00 PM
By the way, I'd like to point out that my parents were (are) Jehovah's Witnesses of the most rabid variety, and they believed dinosaurs existed. Their theory was this, and I recount it just for entertainment purposes:

when god created heaven and earth, he put the "water above", the one that came down in the Great Flood. This must mean some kind of very dense water vapor that covered the earth. There result would have been a tropical weather, lots of humidity. So plants must have grown wild, right? Because of all the water? So god being as infinitely wise as he is, created big ass dinosaurs to keep the plants under control. And of course, then you need carnivore dinos to keep the herbivore dinos in check... and isn't god just so amazingly wise? Then as the water vapor condensed little by little and fell as rain and collected in the sea, less vegetation grows, so god in his infinite mercy and wisdom, kills off all the dinosaurs, and that's it.

No, really, that was the story I grew up with, I am not making it up. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post
10-08-2011, 08:49 AM
(09-08-2011 06:53 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Strange how 8 year olds playing with dinosaurs are already smarter than theist adults. That's probably where all the hostility comes from. Keep the knowledge away from children so that they stay on the same intellectual level as creationists.

I was younger that that. According to my dad I was saying there is no god for almost as long as I could talk. I think my logic behind it may have been if I said I don't believe in god they won't make me go to church. It didn't work but not believing stuck with me. But if me as a child can see how daft the idea of a god is what does that say about all the adults who do.
My favourite was the T Rex I had a tiny figure of one which was my first one not the velocerapter like I said earlier. Which I lost on holiday one year which was devastating.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
10-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Wow...that is an interesting take on dinosaurs. I have heard that some creationists believe they were all herbivores...including T-rex....who used those massive meat shredding teeth on coconuts. Your parents sound like nuts too....no offense.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-08-2011, 10:50 AM
(10-08-2011 09:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Wow...that is an interesting take on dinosaurs. I have heard that some creationists believe they were all herbivores...including T-rex....who used those massive meat shredding teeth on coconuts. Your parents sound like nuts too....no offense.

Oh they are nuts, believe me, no offense at all!! Big Grin

10-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I didn't really have many dinosaur toys (except the foamy bath toys that grew). What I did do was at 8 years old I built a hollow T-Rex out of legos with a cage in it's stomach so that it could swallow things and I could get them back out of it. I also had a pretty extensive book on dinosaurs that I read from time to time.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
(09-08-2011 05:47 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(09-08-2011 05:29 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(09-08-2011 05:01 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I had dinosaur toys as a kid and I'm an atheist I wonder if the two are connected Tongue

I LOVED my toy dinosaurs growing up!!! Give me a box of Lego, some Play Doh and my dinosaurs, and you'd keep me amused for hours. Way better than videogames.

You just described part of my childhood, before i got my first console it was either a sega mega drive or the original gameboy I can't remember which. I had loads of dinosaur toys my first was one of the velocerapters from jurrasic park. I still have it in a box in a cupboard along with my starwars figures Big Grin

Heck, when I was a kid, my first video game was an "Etch - a - Sketch" to play Tic Tac Toe on! Tongue
A game arcade occurred once a year on the runway of the county fair.
Pong changed EVERYTHING!

I did have plastic dinosaurs. (yes there was plastic back then ) I had a rock collection too, but as far as games, if you lived out in the country, "playing with yourself" had a whole different meaning! There simply was noone else to play with. Confused
I never got to "take my ball and go home", because there was nowhere to take the damn ball in the first place!

As to dinosaurs and Atheism, well, I had a rock collection ( studying fossils and geology ) as well as studying a bit on extinct lifeforms. I was into to space and the "fact" that there HAD to be life somewhere else too. So, I guess the seed of atheism was implanted at the same time as the myths of my parents' imaginary friend.

I never really liked him anyway! Big Grin

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
11-08-2011, 04:47 AM
If you want a clear link for childhood atheism the first religion i really knew much about was the ancient Greek one, and no one believed or pushed it as truth for me. That seems to have made the fact I never accepted church a bit simpler. That and the fact that I was never part of the group anyway. I lived a half country half city childhood but generally was alone the entirety (people wise).

Christianity was so boring in comparison to the Greeks =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
11-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Quote:Heck, when I was a kid, my first video game was an "Etch - a - Sketch" to play Tic Tac Toe on! Tongue
A game arcade occurred once a year on the runway of the county fair.
Pong changed EVERYTHING!

i had that atari console with like loads of different games on all in 2d lol

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb