My new Pet.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 08:27 PM
My new Pet.
The ginper came from nowhere setting up residency among the creepers and bracken corner of my back yard.

I had not seen one of these creatures since childhood so a little bit of research seemed in order.
They usually lived for around four years, though eight at times, with the world record set at fourteen.
Poor eyesight, shy at first, the preferred foods were grass,alfalfa, celery, apple, lettuce, and carrot.
Natives of South America they are still eaten in that country.
What was this little critter doing in my yard?

Living up to its name the guinea pig, a rodent, has largely been superseded by rats and mice for medical experimentation.

Our cat Fat boy seems pretty disinterested, possibly on account of his obesity, but what of other local visiting cats? I was thinking of building a loft but as these creatures are poor climbers it might not be well utilized. Still that's a thought........Gerty Ginper, come on down!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2013, 08:30 PM
RE: My new Pet.
(23-03-2013 08:27 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The ginper came from nowhere setting up residency among the creepers and bracken corner of my back yard.

I had not seen one of these creatures since childhood so a little bit of research seemed in order.
They usually lived for around four years, though eight at times, with the world record set at fourteen.
Poor eyesight, shy at first, the preferred foods were grass,alfalfa, celery, apple, lettuce, and carrot.

Living up to its name the guinea pig, a rodent, has largely been superseded by rats and mice for medical experimentation.

Our cat Fat boy seems pretty disinterested, possibly on account of his obesity, but what of other local visiting cats? I was thinking of building a loft but as these creatures are poor climbers it might not be well utilized. Still that's a thought........Gerty Ginper, come on down!

Cute little guys aren't they? But I don't believe they are rodents. More related to rabbits, if I remember my biology correctly.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-03-2013, 08:30 PM
(23-03-2013 08:27 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The ginper came from nowhere setting up residency among the creepers and bracken corner of my back yard.

Tasted one in Peru once...once. Cui Thermidor ain't Lobster Thermidor.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-03-2013, 08:31 PM
(23-03-2013 08:30 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Tasted one in Peru once...once. Cui Thermidor ain't Lobster Thermidor.

I believe it's a delicacy there. Guinea Pig baked in it's own blood. Yum!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I had one growing up, benji! Is yours short haired or long?
24-03-2013, 12:01 AM
(23-03-2013 10:04 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I had one growing up, benji! Is yours short haired or long?
Short hair, black and ginger, with tiny legs. Smile
24-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Aww Smile That's cute. We had guinea pigs growing up. Our dog thought they were delicacies too Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-03-2013, 03:35 PM
(24-03-2013 12:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Aww Smile That's cute. We had guinea pigs growing up. Our dog thought they were delicacies too Tongue
WE don't have a dog and the cats seem pretty disinterested......so far! Evil_monster