My new job.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 12:32 PM
My new job.
So a few weeks ago at my interview the lady (my dads ex) was telling about the local church here.. She doesn't know that I gave it all up
Well today she was explaining that this company is family owned. The daughter of the man who started the company runs it. She explained they are very Christian people with good morales and it trickles down the ladder..
Oh
My
Gosh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: My new job.
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that but this is a part of life, you're gonna have to deal with Christians all the time. It will be up to you to decide to tell them your feelings on the matter, we all need to work and make money to I don't think anyone would blame you if you kept it under your hat but at the same time no employer can force their religious beliefs on their staff. Even though it's unfair they may still see it as an issue.

I would just avoid talking about it all together and if they invite you to the church say that you are busy, if they keep pressing you may have no choice but to admit you are a moral person, making the right choices is important to you but you're not religious anymore. In the end we can only be judged by our actions and as long as you work hard and behave with courtesy you'll be fine, you're a nice person I'd personally work with you any time so I hope they can see that and take it well. Thumbsup

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
12-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Hmm. I wouldn't let it bother you. It's possible she was fishing for info from you. If she presses you further, just tell her you like to keep things at work professional and not really get into anyone's personal life.

Adding that you were not brought up to be gossipy might be a nice touch. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-05-2016, 03:51 PM
This is where being British is an advantage. People don't expect you to react...

You can just blankly say "oh right," and change the subject.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Lol it doesn't bother me. its just weird how far down the chain religion goes.
13-05-2016, 07:49 AM
(12-05-2016 12:32 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Well today she was explaining that this company is family owned. The daughter of the man who started the company runs it. She explained they are very Christian people with good morales and it trickles down the ladder..

I am looking for a new job right now. I'd interviewed at a company that is overtly Christian, and supposedly it's a big part of their culture. That's a pretty broad statement, and it could mean any number of things. I was pretty certain I wasn't interested when I learned about the mandatory 50-hour weeks (and I'd be exempt).

But yeah, I wanted to be careful how much I committed before I learned if Christian culture meant "that's how we justify being good people" or "daily prayer meetings".
13-05-2016, 09:28 AM
(13-05-2016 07:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 12:32 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Well today she was explaining that this company is family owned. The daughter of the man who started the company runs it. She explained they are very Christian people with good morales and it trickles down the ladder..

I am looking for a new job right now. I'd interviewed at a company that is overtly Christian, and supposedly it's a big part of their culture. That's a pretty broad statement, and it could mean any number of things. I was pretty certain I wasn't interested when I learned about the mandatory 50-hour weeks (and I'd be exempt).

But yeah, I wanted to be careful how much I committed before I learned if Christian culture meant "that's how we justify being good people" or "daily prayer meetings".

Tough to find one in Michigan's Jesuzombieland....

When I worked up there the shop foreman about shit himself when he found out I was an atheist.....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-05-2016, 01:27 PM
(13-05-2016 09:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Tough to find one in Michigan's Jesuzombieland....

When I worked up there the shop foreman about shit himself when he found out I was an atheist.....

Luckily, where I'm at now, I work for a company based in LA that is owned by a global company. We are actually flat-out prohibited from shoving religious beliefs down other's throats. There are certain advantages to working for a huge company.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post