My non-existent god can beat up your non-existent god!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
One of my favorite exchanges came during my time at Amazon. There was an insufferable twit there who constantly argued for a Christian perspective while proclaiming his intellectual superiority because he claimed to be an atheist.

After months of off-again and on-again exchanges, he stopped quoting Aristotle, Aquinas, and Augustine long enough to tell me that I had no business calling myself an atheist unless I had a theology degree and rejected it. That's when he called me a "naive atheist." I asked him what he meant by that. He replied that he was a sophisticated atheist because he had read Aristotle, Aquinas, and Augustine and had rejected their teachings while still considering them valid. But the bottom line was that I was naive because the god he didn't believe in was a more sophisticated god than the god I don't believe in. Make sense? Only to him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Rachel's post
09-03-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: My non-existent god can beat up your non-existent god!
Intellectual snobbery.
You get to reject the gods for which there is no evidence for your own reasons.
His demand you use his ancient reasoning is bogus.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-03-2017, 08:02 PM

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
09-03-2017, 08:07 PM
(09-03-2017 07:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Intellectual snobbery.
You get to reject the gods for which there is no evidence for your own reasons.
His demand you use his ancient reasoning is bogus.

It was such blatant nonsense I thought he was joking at first. But I think that he and fschmidt might be brothers from different mothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
09-03-2017, 08:31 PM
> "My god has a bigger d**k than your god!" (George Carlin) Wink
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-03-2017, 02:04 AM
From little fragments I have seen Aquinas and Augustine writings are just shit, so there is no reason to bother with it further.

Also you don't need to read Mein Kampf to reject Nazi ideology, so writings of religious top dogs of centuries past are no different.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-03-2017, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 02:11 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Meh.

My Nork is still king of the pile. How so? Because that's how I defined him as such. Wink

NORK SMASH! NORK WIN!

Nork is an inside joke, an entity not at all dissimilar to the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn. It's a thing that I define as a creator of universe creating beings. He's the answer to any theist who pulls out an un-caused first cause or otherwise tries to get around infinite regression by fiat.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-03-2017, 04:10 AM
(09-03-2017 06:38 PM)Rachel Wrote:  One of my favorite exchanges came during my time at Amazon. There was an insufferable twit there who constantly argued for a Christian perspective while proclaiming his intellectual superiority because he claimed to be an atheist.

After months of off-again and on-again exchanges, he stopped quoting Aristotle, Aquinas, and Augustine long enough to tell me that I had no business calling myself an atheist unless I had a theology degree and rejected it. That's when he called me a "naive atheist." I asked him what he meant by that. He replied that he was a sophisticated atheist because he had read Aristotle, Aquinas, and Augustine and had rejected their teachings while still considering them valid. But the bottom line was that I was naive because the god he didn't believe in was a more sophisticated god than the god I don't believe in. Make sense? Only to him.

Oh wow... because that has never happened on this forum before. On the side of atheists... even similar right down to the 'i'm more sophisticated than you because I've read this or studied that or got a degree in this.'

Its like Richard Dawkins, Richard Dawkins loves rocking other peoples boat, but when someone rocks his boat... that is how many people are here. They can dish it out, but they can't take it.
10-03-2017, 04:23 AM
(09-03-2017 06:38 PM)Rachel Wrote:  He replied that he was a sophisticated atheist because he had read Aristotle, Aquinas, and Augustine and had rejected their teachings while still considering them valid.
Given his preference for the works of long dead authors perhaps he was using 'sophisticated' in its earlier sense of corrupt, adulterated, falsified rather than the later refined, discriminating, cultured. I am surprised only that he was willing to admit it.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
10-03-2017, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 12:23 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(09-03-2017 06:38 PM)Rachel Wrote:  But the bottom line was that I was naive because the god he didn't believe in was a more sophisticated god than the god I don't believe in. Make sense? Only to him.

I spent decades of my adult life trying to make sense of theism, and developed an elaborate God concept. But I now consider atheists who were intelligent enough to reject God outright as smarter than I was. I should never have taken up the burden of proof myself.

Hobo