My old Christian artwork

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
My old Christian artwork
While I was listening to the TTA podcast about Seth's days as a Christian radio broadcaster, I went back and managed to dig out a few of my own art samples I did during my Christian days. They were mostly school projects (I briefly majored in Art and Graphic Design) as well as some promotional stuff I did for a local church.

I decided to upload these as a windowless document as I though a few people here might get a kick out of them. Whether bad or good (mostly bad, which explains why I never pursued a career in art!), these are some religious themed projects I did. A lot of which I created I felt divinely inspired to do, which, if true, means that God is a talentless retard with little artistic inspiration. Enjoy!

[Image: Bosina_zpsa6398a4d.jpg]

This is a strange little piece for a silkscreen print. A lot of energy and a lot of things going on here, but the basic message probably will appeal to many people here. It was about people killing in the name of God, but God's pleading for mercy and not sacrifice (its a passage out of the Bible, people.). Looking back on it I see is as one of the only honest Christian messages out there, as most 'Christians' enjoy war, death, and destruction of infidels - so long as there is no naughty language used or pee-pee parts shown.

[Image: bookConverted_zpsdc3f194c.jpg]

Another school project, this time a booklet concept. It was a graphic representation of a poem by Edward Arlington Robinson juxtaposed with the story of the Passion, giving the perspective of a world that hated their savior until they managed to kill him.

[Image: space_zps139cca69.jpg]

This one's actually kinda cool. It's another silkscreen concept project and it does have a few Christian themes in it (the Refiner's Fire) but an interesting perspective of the Space Age as an allegory for mankind's growth and progression.

[Image: starlogo_zps77002601.jpg] [Image: star2_zps5e4c73a1.jpg]

A couple of graphics I did for a Christian website - or a Christian fraternity, I can't figure out which. As a background IXOYE, Iota Chi Theta Upsilon Sigma, is Greek for Fish and in Christian culture stands for Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior.

[Image: CrowncopyConverted_zps1d6c6495.jpg] [Image: BigGodConverted_zps2b80daed.jpg]

Yes, you really did see this. Remember Big Dog apparel from the late 1990s? Well I did a few of these for a Youth Retreat at a local Christian church. I don't have a copy of it but I also did a 'Big God Inside' spoof of the 'Intel Inside' logo.

[Image: SpaceBackground_zps50f9af10.jpg]

I like this one. It was one of the backgrounds used in the space silkscreen piece. Good photoshop composite of Hubble images.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
07-06-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: My old Christian artwork
Some of its pretty cool...

How did you get from there to being atheist?

Just curious.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

07-06-2013, 10:29 PM
(07-06-2013 05:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Some of its pretty cool...

How did you get from there to being atheist?

Just curious.

That's a long and complicated story, Mom. The nutshell version is that I always felt like something was wrong in the church. I was part of the poo slinging, chandler swinging Pentecostals who thought that they actually could talk to God and that He talked back to them. I joined up, played the game, and felt that 'God' was offering a lot of really fucked up advice. I later determined that 'God' was a kind of groupthink and the church was really a cult like Orwellian machination.

I've always been a really skeptical and fiercely independent thinker. I determined Santa Claus was bullshit by age 4 (think I robbed my patents enjoy,ent of feeding me those stories), so it's no surprise that I quickly found that God did not compute either.

It took four years but I completely divorced myself of that Church. I initially sought out other forms of Christianity but the more and more I looked for the more and more the whole thing fell apart like a house of cards and I've found Christianity to be one of the most corrosive and destructive influences in my life. At the end of it I had no choice but to conclude that God was either 1) a sadistic tyrant who I, and every other human, living or dead, had to reject and defeat, 2) Grossly incompetent, which makes no sense or 3) simply didn't exist. But as the Bible is so fallible and full of shit and if the Bible is Gods Word, I have to conclude that God, if He exists in that form, is completely full of shit, has only the power we humans give Him and every third word out of His mouth is a lie. This can't be God, by definition, so I conclude that God just doesn't exist. Or, if there is a god, it just doesn't care that much about humanity to reveal itself or interact with us. How did all this begin? Does it have an ending? Who knows. We're here and left with putting the pieces of the puzzle together ourselves. I can say I'd like to know the real answers to these questions as opposed to relying on dogma and superstition; I've noticed most humans don't do that too well. We don't need imaginary friends, we need each other. We need real answers.
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing many of your thoughts echo my own!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Carlos, you're an awesome guy and I love reading your posts on the forums. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope it helps others.

I went from church to church as well. Had some serious issues when people started "talking in tongues" and even my parents didn't buy into that crap. It eventually took me a while when the keywords, "I think it's time to find a new church. I don't agree with how they interpret things."

Eventually I started asking questions like, "What is the right interpretation? Is there a right interpretation? How the fuck do I know?" and started looking at things more skeptically.

And here I am Tongue a very different person now.

I'm glad you're here, Carlos.
08-06-2013, 05:39 PM
(08-06-2013 01:18 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Carlos, you're an awesome guy and I love reading your posts on the forums. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope it helps others.

I went from church to church as well. Had some serious issues when people started "talking in tongues" and even my parents didn't buy into that crap. It eventually took me a while when the keywords, "I think it's time to find a new church. I don't agree with how they interpret things."

Eventually I started asking questions like, "What is the right interpretation? Is there a right interpretation? How the fuck do I know?" and started looking at things more skeptically.

And here I am Tongue a very different person now.

I'm glad you're here, Carlos.

My assertion has always been that if God is real then any challenge put forward to him can be quickly answered. What I found is that principle doctorines of ALL churches were riddled with inconsistencies which their ambassadors simply cannot answer or become belligerent, demanding rigid conformity. God should welcome any challenge as it would be a simple task for Him to answer.

Thanks for the kind words.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
11-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for nice post

Real estate
United States Free classifieds ads online to sell your items. Free classifieds for USA. Post your Ad. American free ads.