My opinion about people who change of religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 01:06 PM
My opinion about people who change of religion
My opinion about people who change of religion is the next.
I think that people who leave their religion to change of religion are people who know that their religion is not the truth. Therefore they will make researches about others religions and will find a religion who can satisfy them.

Why I think that ? I read messages in many Francophone forums about people who leaved Islam for Christianity and all these people discovered that Islam is not the truth. Likewise for people who leaved Christianity for Islam.

But we can note that all of them didn't analysed all main texts (holy book , commentaries by theologians , others texts who are the foundation of this religion etc...) about their new religion.

Also I can saw that many of them don't have the basic scientifical knowledge (Cosmology , Evolution theory , Gravity etc...)

What is your opinion about that ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
24-06-2013, 01:52 PM
RE: My opinion about people who change of religion
I think they are searching for another religion because they feel they are supposed to believe in something. I don't think it even occurs to most religious people that they just don't have to believe at all.

That's why they have such a hard time with atheists. Theists just don't see how someone can not believe something. So, they search for the right thing to believe instead of searching for their self - which would be the only truth there is.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 12 users Like kim's post
24-06-2013, 03:18 PM
(24-06-2013 01:52 PM)kim Wrote:  I think they are searching for another religion because they feel they are supposed to believe in something. I don't think it even occurs to most religious people that they just don't have to believe at all.

That's why they have such a hard time with atheists. Theists just don't see how someone can not believe something. So, they search for the right thing to believe instead of searching for their self - which would be the only truth there is.

I'm OK with you , like this is a good argumentation I'll give to you a like.
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
24-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks - you make good points, also - especially this:
(24-06-2013 01:06 PM)viocjit Wrote:  But we can note that all of them didn't analysed all main texts (holy book , commentaries by theologians , others texts who are the foundation of this religion etc...) about their new religion.

Exactly - I don't think some people know at all what they might be getting into.

I think they also don't understand all the scriptures and holy books of the religion they are in, in the first place.

It's as if they always only accept half of what they want to believe. That can't be a very secure person - not secure with their self or in their beliefs.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-06-2013, 03:41 PM
(24-06-2013 03:18 PM)viocjit Wrote:  I'm OK with you , like this is a good argumentation I'll give to you a like.

Je te donnerai un 'like' aussi Smile Tu sais que ma francais est bien mal que ton anglais Tongue Je l'avais etudie a l'ecole... 4 ans Sad 4 ans et je peux seulment bavarder comme ca Weeping Mais, j'essai a... comment puis-je dire... tu as parle en anglais donc si tu m'as fait de rire (Huh c'est correct ? )... c'est normale que tu as le droit de rire a ma francais...

Tu n'as rien dit incorrect, seulment... l'ordre des mots et l'expression (anglais, je ne sais pas le mot correct mais... je suis sur que c'est ca) m'a donne le rideau...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I think most of us look for other religions in search of something better. Sooner or later after all the searching atheism seems like a logical choice. For no religion I have researched made a whole lot of sense to me.

Diety Free in Dixieland
24-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I went through a bunch of religious beliefs until I finally realized the idea of a deity makes no sense.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post
24-06-2013, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 06:39 PM by Scully.)
(24-06-2013 01:06 PM)viocjit Wrote:  My opinion about people who change of religion is the next.
I think that people who leave their religion to change of religion are people who know that their religion is not the truth. Therefore they will make researches about others religions and will find a religion who can satisfy them.

I feel that many people, if they are born into or raised in a particular religion, and their family is not very religious (go to church only on Christmas or for weddings/funerals) don't have a strong background in the religious teachings of their church. I think these people can easily become disillusioned with their parents' belief system and can be vulnerable to other evangelical groups who are only too happy to show them how their religion is wrong.

Quote:Why I think that ? I read messages in many Francophone forums about people who leaved Islam for Christianity and all these people discovered that Islam is not the truth. Likewise for people who leaved Christianity for Islam.

Many proselytizing style churches (like Jehovah's Witnesses, for example) train their members to seek out vulnerable people - people who are in a transitional point in their lives - because these are people who are asking existential questions like "Why am I here?", "What is the purpose of life?", "What happens when we die?", etc. So if a person is going away to college or university for the first time, or they have suffered a death of someone close to them, or they are going through a divorce or just having a new baby, they can be caught off guard when one of these evangelicals comes to their door and says they have the answer to the very question they are wondering about.

Quote:But we can note that all of them didn't analysed all main texts (holy book , commentaries by theologians , others texts who are the foundation of this religion etc...) about their new religion.

To do such a massive amount of research is usually beyond the scope of an average person to undertake. And really theologians don't make it easy for non-theologians to do this kind of research independently. And, let's face it, groups like JWs are extremely well-trained to show you only what they want you to know. If you ask an uncomfortable question too soon, they redirect you by saying your question will be answered in a later study. That pacifies you temporarily, while at the same time allows them to continue controlling the information they give you.

Quote:Also I can saw that many of them don't have the basic scientifical knowledge (Cosmology , Evolution theory , Gravity etc...)

In my experience, scientific knowledge is only useful to churches when it supports their position. I know of some egregious cases of academic dishonesty that have been perpetrated in order to present a quote from a scholarly source as supporting their point of view, when in actuality it is exactly the opposite. If you are a believer in that particular brand of religion, you tend not to question the people in authority, because you have come to trust them. That trust prevents you from digging deeper and doing your due diligence and fact checking of your own.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
25-06-2013, 10:20 AM
I liked all yours messages because when I read you I have the sensation to read me.

Members of this community , keep going.
01-07-2013, 02:21 AM
The people I met who converted to Islam did it because they wanted to fit in with their surroundings, they're "ostentatiously religious" because they think it's what they're supposed to do. I haven't tried telling them that nobody forces anyone to believe in anything, and I really want to... It's just the social environment that makes theists expect to interact with other theists. In fact, I think I did try to insinuate that practicing a religion doesn't make anyone more special, or better than someone non-religious. But as an atheist among a majority of theists my opinion is invalid...